Why am I getting disconnects when using Town Portal?

Every time I have ever used a Town Portal I have gotten disconnected. What can I do to troubleshoot this issue?

I have a pretty powerful PC (imho) - Intel Core i7, 32GB of RAM, Nvidia GT630, 1Gbps internet connection.

Everything I've read seems to point to an older PC and while I know my graphics card is far from top notch it does have 2GB of video memory, shouldn't that be fast enough to prevent this sort of thing from happening? Is it possible running Windows 8.1 and DX11 could be causing this?

Thanks for reading.
In the majority of cases, these problems are caused by antivirus/firewall/security software which is preventing a new instance from being used on the same port (6112).

Make sure all your stuff that could be interfering is shut down.... like Avast or similar things (including uTorrent and other software).
I will definitely look into that, but shouldn't that also cause the same issue when using waypoints?
I still can't figure out exactly what is causing it, but it is somehow related to my network setup since I am use town portals at a friend's house without disconnecting. I just don't know how to narrow it down anymore than just that location.
Are you using the same PC at your friends house?

If you located your PC on a different network and it is not experiencing the issue, then the issue is likely not on your PC and is likely on your networking equipment. Another way you can test is to use a different PC on your home network and see if they both experience the issue.

Try to eliminate the various factors by either replicating the results with a different set of hardware, or using your hardware on a different network to eliminate that hardware as an issue. Does that make sense?

Your issue could be due to NAT settings on your router as well (or Firewall, etc). Depending on the age and quality of your router, it wouldn't exactly surprise me. Back in the day, older crappy routers had some real issues with NAT and UDP forwarding. They're mostly better now, but it could still be an issue.

Good luck.
It is a different computer that I am using at my friend's house, my laptop. I can understand how it could be the firewall where I am having the disconnect issue, but I'm not sure where to look in the firewall to fix it. It is a Sophos Astaro, and I can login and look through all kinds of settings but I haven't found anything dealing with that port 6112.
Does the Laptop work at your house?

What I'm trying to figure out is if this is a PC issue or network equipment issue.

Now that you know the laptop works at the friend's house, try it at your place and see if it continues to work. If the laptop continues to work, but the other PC doesn't, then it is a PC issue. If neither the laptop or the PC work properly, then it could be a network equipment issue.
It seems for sure to be a network issue, but figuring that out will be tricky since nothing stands out as being blocked. I will have to keep digging though.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info