Magic 2015

"
Russell wrote:
The art is quite toony in hex yes. However they dont quite have the same amount of money as wizards of the coast to match their art. They look around for the highest tier artists and pay them boatloads to paint one card.

I love the Eldrazi

Yup, the art in MTG is one of the things that I remember attracting me to it as a kid. I couldn't afford to play it back then but there was a comic shop where they'd let me sit and go through their personal cards. I didn't even know how the game worked, I just liked looking at all the art.

Hex and IW seem to have one thing in common; the art is very inconsistent, some of it looks great and some looks terrible. Hopefully they will improve as their resources increase. With Magic even though they have multiple artists, it all kind of fuses together into one easily recognizable "Magic" style. These other two games have yet to achieve that kind of consistency in their art.

That being said, from what little I've played of IW so far, it seems its main strength is in its mechanics and the whole thing does certainly seem very impressive :)
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
The art is quite toony in hex yes. However they dont quite have the same amount of money as wizards of the coast to match their art. They look around for the highest tier artists and pay them boatloads to paint one card.

I love the Eldrazi

Yup, the art in MTG is one of the things that I remember attracting me to it as a kid. I couldn't afford to play it back then but there was a comic shop where they'd let me sit and go through their personal cards. I didn't even know how the game worked, I just liked looking at all the art.

Hex and IW seem to have one thing in common; the art is very inconsistent, some of it looks great and some looks terrible. Hopefully they will improve as their resources increase. With Magic even though they have multiple artists, it all kind of fuses together into one easily recognizable "Magic" style. These other two games have yet to achieve that kind of consistency in their art.

That being said, from what little I've played of IW so far, it seems its main strength is in its mechanics and the whole thing does certainly seem very impressive :)

Well, in IW the art of the cards has clearly improved from what i have seen. There were designs on the kickstarter page for example that look nothing like what the game looks like now. I think with card design art its a bit of artistic license, like how it was in YuGiOh, you had the epic rendered cards and then some other ones who werent so great but still kinda artsy in a way.
My personal favorite:

Spoiler
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 24, 2014, 8:28:42 AM
Without the animation, you just don't get the full impact. Getting an ex Fable artist was a major coup for Lightmare.

None of these have anything on the Foglios for sheer cheese.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 24, 2014, 8:50:45 AM
"
Charan wrote:
Without the animation, you just don't get the full impact. Getting an ex Fable artist was a major coup for Lightmare.

I think some of the animations are brilliant and some are terrible. I just got another card with a girl who has a similar face to the one shown above but with blond hair, and the animated part was completely disjointed from the rest of the card in terms of color, style and general appearance.

The animated card thing is nice but I think they are over selling it (in steam the rest of my games just have their name on the list, with this it's "Infinity Wars - Animated Trading Card Game"). Honestly I'd prefer really good non animated art to inconsistent animated art, but hopefully it's just a beta thing and the overall quality of it will improve.

Either way I think their main selling point should be the core game mechanics, which so far I haven't found anything to take issue with. I just spent another couple of hours on it and I'm really enjoying it.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Charan wrote:

I think some of the animations are brilliant and some are terrible. I just got another card with a girl who has a similar face to the one shown above but with blond hair, and the animated part was completely disjointed from the rest of the card in terms of color, style and general appearance.

The animated card thing is nice but I think they are over selling it (in steam the rest of my games just have their name on the list, with this it's "Infinity Wars - Animated Trading Card Game"). Honestly I'd prefer really good non animated art to inconsistent animated art, but hopefully it's just a beta thing and the overall quality of it will improve.

Either way I think their main selling point should be the core game mechanics, which so far I haven't found anything to take issue with. I just spent another couple of hours on it and I'm really enjoying it.

I didnt like the animated effect at all at first but i noticed i look at the cards less and less and i look more at what the cards effects.
"
SkyCore wrote:
Wizards of the coast has sucked my wallet dry in the past. Almost criminal how they get away with pricing pieces of cardboard so high. Online its even more exploitive.
I agree with your assessment. However, the proper solution is to find developers who might provide the type of competition against WotC which you'd like to see, and to support them. The one sure route to consumer dissatisfaction is to allow the business practices of this monopolistic titan to continue.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Charan wrote:

It's much easier to sell an aesthetic difference over a mechanical one at a glance. 'Animated trading card game' is new and instantly recognisable; 'Trading Card Game with new mechanics' just doesn't cut it.

But sure, maybe they'll ease off as they realise how good their game is despite that. I doubt it, personally.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

This had me laughing a lot.
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?
^ that's terrible. Please don't turn me off of the game before ive even tried it :P
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info