Magic 2015

Any card can be a commander. That's probably the big point of it all. A commander can come into play any time you want, and can use their abilities from the start if you can afford them.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
Charan wrote:
Any card can be a commander. That's probably the big point of it all. A commander can come into play any time you want, and can use their abilities from the start if you can afford them.

Yes but certain cards have to have certain commanders (I may be using the wrong word, will check in a bit) to be able to be included in the deck, no?

Edit: I'm referring to the requirement icon that some cards have listed in the top left hand corner.
Last edited by MonstaMunch on Jul 24, 2014, 5:45:33 AM
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Charan wrote:

Yes but certain cards have to have certain commanders (I may be using the wrong word, will check in a bit) to be able to be included in the deck, no?

Edit: I'm referring to the requirement icon that some cards have listed in the top left hand corner.

Yes, you need to check the factions a card requires a commander of off. I even got a tri-faction deck.

Some cards need 2 some even 3 and some need 1 or 2 of 1 and 2 or 1 of another. Its quite interesting. I really can only recommend the tutorial and the campaigns, its the best way of getting into it and learning the basics.

Then you can all fall before me when i crush you! MUHAHAHAHA!
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
Is it derailing to talk IW on a Magic thread? Hope not.

It's not derailing. I mentioned a few things I don't like about magic, and other suggestions came up. Russel made one too :P

"
The problem I have with IW is the capacity for themed decks is really, really high. Probably not as high as MTG but pretty damn close. This means lots of inefficient but awesome looking armies at my disposal.

I haven't gone deep enough into this to have an informed opinion, but I certainly thought it was weird when I saw a Star Trek deck :s

From what little I've seen it looks like you can mix things up quite a lot, as long as you have the required commanders for the different card types you want to use. I still don't really know how this works in practice, but looking forward to testing it out.

The star trek deck is some kind of promotional thing to get the star trek nerds to play it. ;)

Theyre not allowed in certain game types but i played against a few theyre kinda interesting.
The star trek thing boggled me. So left field.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"
Charan wrote:
Rhetorical question: are you new to magic?! :P

IW is great. I threw a hundred bucks at them for support but didn't even get around to spending much of it until recently. I've never done an online duel. Too scaredy-cat. :)

I think this years version takes the p2w element a fair bit further than the previous versions. It used to be that you'd just pay to unlock decks. If you're playing against a friend and he doesn't have the right decks, you can just buy them for him and be done with it.

Now we have this booster crap so there is no option to simply buy everything the game has to offer, which is what I generally like to do.

If you'd like to try an online duel in IW sometime you're welcome to add me on Steam, same handle as here, I've only played an hour so your chances of victory are high :D

"
The fun thing is, if you do the campaign and i recommend you do that, you get free decks and cards and such. You cant trade the free cards but you can trade all bought cards no matter if you buy them with free points or ones you paid for.

I noticed it kept giving me free cards for stuff. Pretty cool. But it looks like the only way to get complete decks is to buy them :( The upside is that I think it's going to take me long enough to learn the game with free cards that by the time I get to grips with the whole thing, I'll know one way or the other whether its a game I'm happy to throw money at.

"
Actually you get 125000 LP and 500k IP for 1k Aussie dollars. I think you can get like all the shop has to offer if for some reason you would want to do that (thats over a million LP btw not 12500, just checked). :P

Fair enough, it was like 3am when I was checking it out, it sounds like I missed a zero off the end when I was working out what I could get for the $1k pack, though I'm pretty sure it was in USD, I'll double check that shortly.

The other thing that struck me as odd about the whole game on first impressions was the way it seems to mix sci fi and fantasy. I'm a big fan of both genres, but not usually mixed together at the same time. Maybe I'll get more used to that as time progresses.

"
Maybe we meet over there, havent been playing in a few weeks or so because i was busy playing other games but i think i will play it sometime later this week.

I think I'm probably going to spend the next few days between IW, Magic and PoE. Welcome to add me on Steam for any of those three :D

I dont use steam. :/

IF you see me there, and you just might, as im my usual self in global chat there, invite me to a duel.

Also, about the sci-fi/fantasy thing, its more or less about different dimensions as some cards even imply like Aleta. She is in every faction same as agent Coyle. Kinda like Bioshock Infinite actually. :)

I suggest your first deck to be about 1 faction so you can get into everything. I got all factions decks and mixed factions decks by now. Pretty cool what you can do.
I had a blast with a Descendants of the Dragon + Genesis Industries built last time I played. Get the defensive wall ready and then enhance it with a Secluded Constructor as commander. Second commander in importance of my "Lingbao International" Deck is of course Lingbao, increasing potential moral damage. Also got Orion as third commander and garbage collector. :P

I only got 1 card needing the second Genesis purity, I guess I can ditch Orion but I am not sure what to replace him with yet. Time to experiment around!

As for the Star Trek promotion: I got a free Data card. It looks awful, lol. :D
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 24, 2014, 6:57:16 AM
"
Also, about the sci-fi/fantasy thing, its more or less about different dimensions as some cards even imply like Aleta. She is in every faction same as agent Coyle. Kinda like Bioshock Infinite actually. :)

I was going over it in my head when I went to bed trying to reconcile the two genres being mixed into the same game. The way I ended up looking at it is that in a game where creatures come from lots of different planets, it's ok to expect that some of those planets will have fantasy esque creatures while others may be more sci fi. If someone from a sci fi planet of robots and stuff goes to invade a fantasy planet of dragons and demons and then the two cultures get mixed, then I guess you end up with sci fi dragons. It does kind of make sense, its just new to me.

The star trek thing is just weird though, I don't think I like it. I also don't like there being Samurais in Magic but whatevs.

"
I suggest your first deck to be about 1 faction so you can get into everything. I got all factions decks and mixed factions decks by now. Pretty cool what you can do.

So far I haven't even edited my deck at all. I'm just using the one it gave me. I did the tutorial and the first couple of levels of the campaign last night, will try to get further through it this evening, though I am also trying to fix up a Scion here in Wraeclast so we'll see how it all goes ;)
"
MonstaMunch wrote:
"

I was going over it in my head when I went to bed trying to reconcile the two genres being mixed into the same game. The way I ended up looking at it is that in a game where creatures come from lots of different planets, it's ok to expect that some of those planets will have fantasy esque creatures while others may be more sci fi. If someone from a sci fi planet of robots and stuff goes to invade a fantasy planet of dragons and demons and then the two cultures get mixed, then I guess you end up with sci fi dragons. It does kind of make sense, its just new to me.

The star trek thing is just weird though, I don't think I like it. I also don't like there being Samurais in Magic but whatevs.

"

So far I haven't even edited my deck at all. I'm just using the one it gave me. I did the tutorial and the first couple of levels of the campaign last night, will try to get further through it this evening, though I am also trying to fix up a Scion here in Wraeclast so we'll see how it all goes ;)

You get a new deck after each campaign you complete anyways so you can eventually switch to a different deck more to your liking or do it like me and have lots of different decks. :)

Kinda like in POE actually, mixing it up is the key to longevity, same decks, same chars, it gets boring eventually.

Just ignore the out of placeness of the star trek cards, theyre really just to get people into it and not many use them. Generally, you see all kinds of decks in PvP though.

What i expected were actual dragons like in YuGiOh but there are not enough to make a full on dragon deck yet. I hope that changes eventually, like how they made a complete faction for flyers.
The art is quite toony in hex yes. However they dont quite have the same amount of money as wizards of the coast to match their art. They look around for the highest tier artists and pay them boatloads to paint one card.

I love the Eldrazi

Also all the Mirodin stuff looks awesome. The art is what made me start magic. I do hope Hex slowly gets less cheese though.

Hex does have some good looking stuff though

However it does have a lot of stuff I dont like

Bleh
I like all the fluffy animals[img]http://i.imgur.com/mO8dR.png[\img]
y im slept?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info