Vaal Spectral Throw - Hit's can't be evaded - Why?

So I recently shifted a build over to running a physical crit spectral throw. So far loving the build, high damage along with high survivability.

I'm using ondar's guile with acrobatics for my defenses and also to almost entirely counteract reflect damage.

But with Vaal ST having Hit's Cannot be Evaded it negates the accuracy and evasion rolls which means you'd be hit by the full force of reflect damage at all times.

Now a CWDT + IC will keep you safe from the physical reflect for the most part. But any elemental damage you're doing, whether it be from Hatred or from a wrath/anger becomes pretty dangerous for a crit build like this.

I almost always run maps with a SRS aurabot running maxed out wrath/anger so I'm doing an obscene amount of elemental damage, and I feel with how strong Ele ST is (crit or not) and with auras in general I feel that it's fairly common to have a buffed wrath/anger in a party.

Now my main concern is that this destroys crit builds from using Vaal ST cause it's way too dangerous on reflect. But reflect is typically never an issue on traditional ST (2h resolute tec or ele res tec) unless you have top tier gear. But seeing as those builds almost always are negating the accuracy and evasion rolls (via resolute tec) then I don't understand why Vaal ST has this built in.

It this kind of a round about way of making crit ST not use Vaal ST?

I really enjoy Vaal ST (used it for a long time on my 2h res tec ST) and would want to use it with my dagger throw build but it's simply far too dangerous on reflect.

TL;DR
Any build where reflect won't matter will already have res tec, but this negates the best defense crit builds have for reflect. (Evasion)

Why?
IGN: Ghured
Your first problem is that you are using Vaal ST. :)

But fk it, you want to use it - that's your problem, just activate Ruby and Topaz to mitigate the reflect damage. Nothing you can really do apart from that.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
I knew the obligatory "stop using shit ability" would come.

I found it to be an awesome vaal gem, having 6 charges is pretty insane as it gives you options to how much damage output you want to do.

It synergizes insanely well with evasion as well, whirling blades into a big pack, throw 2-3 vaal STs, whirling blades out, take 0 damage and whole pack dies, and get a good portion of your souls back.

My main concern is choosing between Vaal grace and Vaal ST (it's obvious what it is as of now) for my Vaal skill. Grace gives safety but with a high damage build like this a skill like Vaal ST also creates a lot of safety.

It's also a throwback to the most OP skill ever in an aRPG: Blessed Hammer.

Regardless though, even if its OP, shit or anywhere in between I feel like the Hit's Can't be Evaded portion just doesn't really make much sense.

Last edited by Vandalain on Jul 22, 2014, 8:35:08 PM
All Vaal Attacks have the Hits cannot be Evaded modifier so you don't just whiff it and waste souls. It's not as relevant for Vaal ST I suppose (it can hit multiple times anyways, so wasting it entirely is always human error :P ), but there ya go.

"
Chundadragon wrote:

...What? Vaal ST is awesome.
You're right I forgot the Vaal Attacks all have HCBE. I feel like they should have the Vaal RF mod that damage can't be reflected or maybe in the least reduced reflected damage.

Cause HCBE destroys evasion builds and on top of that crit builds, which IMO most crit builds (sans casters) probably should be evasion as it's just simply too strong of a mechanic to counter the biggest drawback to crit: reflect.

Sure IR goes a long way to mitigating physical reflect on crit builds but what about that nice fat ele damage ur buddy with the auras is giving you? Don't think most builds run a ruby and a topaz and can attain 95%+ resses with them up.
Last edited by Vandalain on Jul 22, 2014, 8:43:12 PM
"
Vipermagi wrote:
"
Chundadragon wrote:

...What? Vaal ST is awesome.

Well, firstly I'd like to thank you guys for buying my Vaal ST 20/20 gems that bricked. Otherwise I'd vendor them for GCPs.

The skill is just such a waste of gem slots when your fastest clear is just spectral then whirl away, Vaal ST is too slow when you one-shot things anyway (depends on your build) and cba casting more than once.
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jul 22, 2014, 8:49:19 PM
It's a different source of damage you can be hitting things with both it and your normal ST. I found this really nice on bosses. Also ST only hits in a cone in front of you versus a spiral around you with Vaal ST, I found this to be pretty useful as well.

Also you don't have to be near it keep doing damage, sure ST by itself is pretty safe but you still have to at least be relatively close to the targets to do damage. With Vaal ST you can drop some in a dangerous pack and then get to safety.

On my ST crit build I have everything I need with an entire 4 gem spot open. Most of the attack builds I've done are pretty lenient on the links. Aurabots and casters are the ones I seem to have trouble with tight links.

If you aren't doing CoE coolguy ST then you probably have the links open to run a vaal st if you want.

The point still stands HCBE on the Vaal Attacks makes using them on crit builds fairly dangerous.

Last edited by Vandalain on Jul 22, 2014, 9:04:13 PM
Why not just avoid using Vaal ST on Reflect and use another attack instead? That's what most builds do if they can't handle reflect with one attack.
"
Vandalain wrote:

The point still stands HCBE on the Vaal Attacks makes using them on crit builds fairly dangerous.

Disagree kinda,

God Bless.
"
Chundadragon wrote:
"
Vandalain wrote:

Disagree kinda,

God Bless.

I'm heading home on Friday I think! Remind me to Divine that utter pos roll once as a favour.
+1 Shavs Project -----> /1075009
+1 Acuity Project ----> /990159
#1 6 t1 Wand FOE BITE (5 perfect mods) SOLD /1031745
The Tale of Foe Bite --->>> http://tinyurl.com/o6ox7an

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info