Confuzzled by AoE workings.

So, I am in this map, The Wetlands.
I get overrun by a ton of whatevernametheyhave mobs. (Bramble Cobra, Hairy Bonecruncher (that sounder pervers, no? XD), Callow Thug)
I, being the smart one, let them come close, tanking them a second until they all get one one heap (about 12, to 14 of'um), and I hit Ground Slam...

I hit the ground.
I see... none of them got hit???

Now, let's check Character window.
CTH (Chance to Hit, note) is 89%.
Having say 13 mobs around me, and actually hitiing NONE of them... is mathematically near impossible.

So, I do GS a second time...
Now, either they (the mobs, note) are cheating the hell out of this game (godmode) (in this case I like to report said NPC'S, and ask for a ban!), or GS is broken.

It took me up to 7 attacks (GS) to finish MOST of, the last two I had to kill with prime attact (mana gone).

It's not the first time I had this situation, which is exactly why I am asking for information on how AoE works in this game, considering my poor Asperger brain can't make any sense out of this part.
In other games, AoE is somewhat true AoE, affecting everything in a radius, but in PoE things seem to be different...

Thank you beforehand.
You could just be desynced
Sounds like either desync to me or there is something between you and the mobs (I don't play with Ground Slam but i remember some skills get blocked by smaller rocks and stuff on the ground). Try writing /oos when this happens next time.
I played a Ground Slam build for long time and it's one of the things I found very annoying. It seems like there's a deadzone in front of you where mobs will be between you and your attacks (ie. mobs a couple feet away will be hit but the ones directly in front of you won't). It happens significantly more with small mobs that will be directly on you. I could never figure out if it's desync or if the skill is really built with a deadzone if monsters are too close to you. After a while you will back track on every attack to avoid this, and it also groups monsters together when they move to stay on you.
Ground Slam's cone starts 'behind' your character (this post + Mark's response below), so there is definitely no deadzone.

It is, however, still quite narrow at point-blank range. That's how cones work.
I do not think it is desync, even in a desync, the creatures would die a tad later when the server and PC resync, no?
But this happens far more: I see say 5 creatures come to me, I jump to them, slam... and they continu to live.
Sometimes, maybe one dies, where the other 4 do not.
Say wha????

Aside:
An AoE should not have a dead zone right in front of you.
The whole purpose of AoE is to hit everything too close.
The current form in which GS is working, seems to be... crazy...?

Question, is there a decent working alternative to GS for a hillbilly-neanderthale (read: Marauder, lol) 2 mace wielder?
Last edited by Xogroroth on Jul 22, 2014, 3:34:10 PM
"
Xogroroth wrote:
I do not think it is desync, even in a desync, the creatures would die a tad later when the server and PC resync, no?

Nope. If you manually aim Ground Slam towards the left of the screen (and see monsters there), but the server has the monsters on your right instead, then you've just swung at nothing. Resynch would move the monsters to your right.
This is of course an extreme example, just to make the point clear :) Monsters generally are off by steps, not miles. This is enough to sidestep Ground Slam's tiny width at melee range though.

Having a monster highlighted prevents desynch; the server will have you swinging towards where that monster is on the server, thus getting you a hit.

[qupte="Xogroroth"] An AoE should not have a dead zone right in front of you.[/quote]
Ground Slam does not have a deadzone, so that's okay then?

Anyhow.

Leap Slam is good at hitting things, and works quite well with two-handers. Faster Attacks + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire gets you a solid four-link setup (in order of importance). Concentrated Effect is also a nifty Support if you have the AoE increases from the Templar zone; it would replace Added Fire.

Leap Slam does one curious thing though: it ignores your weapon's Base Attack Speed. What this means is, a 1.55 Attacks/sec thrusting Sword is just as slow as a 1.00 Attacks/sec two-handed Mace when it comes down to Leaping.
Increased Attack Speed modifiers on your weapon do still matter, however. A weapon with 20% IAS always Leaps faster than a weapon without IAS.

Short story: Look for high Physical Damage, and preferrably an Increased Attack Speed bonus. Pretty simple.

Also: the Resolute Technique Keystone is superb. Grab it :P Your hit chance will be dropping (slightly) as you get to fighting tougher monsters, and you're not really going to be using that Crit Chance anyways.
My suspicion is a combination of both the things identified above.

A little bit of desync may cause your client to show your avatar facing a certain direction, when in actual fact the server records you as facing slightly askew.

Ground slam's area of affect is a cone that starts from slightly behind the avatar and spreads out farther away from the player.

If you are face to face with a line of mobs, it is more than likely some of those mobs are outside the initial radius of the starting end of the cone, which is quite narrow (not much more than the width of the avatar. If there is an added complication of you not facing exactly the same way you appear to be, it will appear that GS is frequently missing.

I have found the optimal placement of mobs for effective GS use is around two to three character widths away. At this point, the cone is broad enough to catch 3 or 4 mobs abreast of each other. The newer GS effect is very useful for this because the ground animation appears pretty much over exactly the area the attack has reached.
"We were going to monitor the situation but it was in the wrong aspect ratio."
There is a high chance that you got stunned as you were trying to attack, causing a desync, so while you saw yourself attacking, you were actually stunned during that input on the server so none of the mobs got hit.

This is fairly common and one of the offenders of desync.

You will probably notice a lot less desyncs if you grab the unwavering stance keystone. It doesn't prevent pathing desyncs though(escaping a group while you're in fact still surrounded) unless you also run a quartz flask.
Now, I am a dumbfuck.
I said Ground Slam, but I actually meant Leap Slam.
I apologize for the mistake.
In my defense, I am a noob dumbfuck. XD

But yes, for some unknown reason, my LS does not work "as I think it should".

Again the example with the mobs coming to me: I see 5 heading towards me, I jump, I hit... Sometimes one dies, sometimes 2, but fairly never I hit the whole bunch.
Which I find to be irritating.

I cannot tell whether this is Desync (and my apologies for thinking Resync would "correct" the Desync, it does in mostly every other game?)(I see a Desync solution here, my good Devs!!!) or how LS works, but when I notice the graphical 360 degrees effect, I like to see everything in it getting damage.
Why?
Because that is the logical thing, is it not?

Mister Viper:
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Leap Slam is good at hitting things, and works quite well with two-handers. Faster Attacks + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire gets you a solid four-link setup (in order of importance). Concentrated Effect is also a nifty Support if you have the AoE increases from the Templar zone; it would replace Added Fire.

Would you be so kind to elaborate on this?
I suspect, Faster Attacks + Melee Physical Damage + Added Fire are Passive Skills?
Or are these Gems?
If Gems, how/where can I obtain these?

Mr. This:
"
This wrote:
There is a high chance that you got stunned as you were trying to attack, causing a desync, so while you saw yourself attacking, you were actually stunned during that input on the server so none of the mobs got hit.

This is fairly common and one of the offenders of desync.

While I understand this, I do not believe that this is the case.
Why?
Because not all the types of mobs have stun (unless herein too I am dah dumbfuck, naturally... :P) and this does happen towards all types of mobs.
Unsure as I am, being the noob, I cannot tell if this is correct, however, if it IS correct... then I believe I can rule out being stunned.

Also, isn't a stun a timed effect?
Like a few seconds, instead of a "interuption stun"?
Merely asking.

To the Devs: I already said this afore, but it seems that Desync is quite a problem within PoE?
A Resync option might solve this.
I am no coder, but as I see this work in other games, it seems that the PC memory keeps track of the past X-amount seconds.
Upon a desync, this data is loaded to the server once a Resync is established, effectively rectifying Desync errors.
Again, maybe it is worth looking into?

Now, I want to thank everyone who participated thisfar into my "Topic of the Dumb Noob". :)
Last edited by Xogroroth on Jul 22, 2014, 4:16:18 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info