Worried about RMT "posts like these should be BANNED"

two things I wish GGG had done differently about RMT:

1) remove (or redefine) ridiculous "name and shame" policy, and when actions are taken (by moderators) to enforce it.

2) publish a high-level recap every once in a while, of actions taken and bans handed-out. without going into detail.

I have given up hope for them to actually close that huge open door with the "welcome, RMT!" sign - a.k.a their huge-varaince-RNG-everywhere, economy-centered design - so GGG please, at least let us players know you are fighting the symptoms properly, even if you aren't really doing anything that can stop the actual plague.

and I disagree with OP.
burying head in sand, is the worst thing one could do.
Alva: I'm sweating like a hog in heat
Shadow: That was fun
Last edited by johnKeys on Jul 22, 2014, 4:24:10 PM
"
johnKeys wrote:

1) remove (or redefine) ridiculous "name and shame" policy, and when actions are taken (by moderators) to enforce it.

2) publish a high-level recap every once in a while, of actions taken and bans handed-out. without going into detail.

I have given up hope for them to actually close that huge open door with the "welcome, RMT!" sign - a.k.a their huge-varaince-RNG-everywhere, economy-centered design - so GGG please, at least let us players know you are fighting the symptoms properly, even if you aren't really doing anything that can stop the actual plague.

and I disagree with OP.

I agree with your ideas and have mentioned them before myself.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
"
johnKeys wrote:

and I disagree with OP.

I agree with your ideas and have mentioned them before myself.

+1
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1552460 - my drop solution
Specs: CPU - i5 9600k, geforce 2060, 32 gb ram, ssd, 2133/2333 mz.-----
EXILES EVERYWHERE, PLEASE?!?!?!
Classic. Thinks RMT posts should be banned because it draws attention to it so makes an RMT post and draws attention to it...
Last edited by WraeclastianWine on Jul 22, 2014, 7:27:40 PM
"
Awareness is always a good thing. Just because you are too ignorant to realize that doesn't change it from being true. You want less people talking about RMT so it can be hidden and remain underground.

Well guess what? I want it out in the open! I want people to see what is happening and raise awareness. Not enough people know or care that RMT is ruining the game. Instead the masses want to unjustly nerf auras and ruin nearly every build currently in the game. (next month their focus will be on some other asinine aspect of the game they don't like for unjustified reasons).

The attention directed at RMT is far too small. GGG is not going to do anything about it until many more players speak out against it.
I actually am far more inclined to side with the OP's argument than yours.

Awareness is not always a good thing. Awareness in the hands of those who can do something to actually fix the problem is a good thing; awareness in the hands of those who cannot do anything to fix the problem, but still have it in their power to make the problem worse, is a bad thing; awareness in the hands of those who can do neither is a pretty irrelevant thing (and neutral, technically, is non-good). For certain types of information, the average person has essentially zero chance of helping solve the problem, while still being able to make the problem worse; it is those types of information which can, should, and have been classified as secrets by governments and people with power over the course of human history. In many of these cases, additional ulterior motives were involved, but you do not need to be a villain in order to keep a secret, and plenty of extremely ethical men strive to prevent awareness using this rationale.

If you believe squawking on the forums is "solving issues," you have delusions of grandeur. All of this talk is just talk. We are not the developers of Path of Exile and our actions on these forums do not impact Path of Exile, at least not directly. It is the developers who have the power to change the game, and thus it is their awareness of the issue which is important. As far as the players go, they are powerless to change the game, but they can decide to indulge in RMT themselves, so they are the exact type of bad awareness I was talking about. I mean, don't get me wrong, we're forumers here, and I know we go to forums because we like (dis)agreeing with people for their reasons and having people (dis)agree with us for our reasons, so I'm not saying you should stop caring about what people think — that's the forum game. However, something like this is a higher priority than the forum game, and you can discuss other topics where the bad-awareness problem doesn't apply.

Because it is the developers and only the developers whose awareness can be used in a constructive manner, if you see anything regarding RMT or have any thoughts on the matter, these should generally be sent directly to the developers using either the forum PM feature or by sending them an email. I am not saying awareness itself is bad, because that's insane, so of course GGG should know what's going on; I am saying general public awareness of RMT is bad, because it's like giving the RMT companies free word-of-mouth advertising. It's called confidentiality; use it.

Last but not least: yes, if you make a thread with RMT in the subject title, it should get locked and banished to some forum nether-region, away from the eyes of innocents. Repeated attempts at making threads on the topic of RMT should lead to a probation. I doubt it would ever need to escalate to banning, but the point is there is no need for players to be aware of these issues, only a need for devs to be aware of them.

And yes, I'm including this thread; at the very least, need to edit the title to remove the RMT mention.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jul 22, 2014, 7:49:40 PM
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
Awareness is always a good thing. Just because you are too ignorant to realize that doesn't change it from being true. You want less people talking about RMT so it can be hidden and remain underground.

Well guess what? I want it out in the open! I want people to see what is happening and raise awareness. Not enough people know or care that RMT is ruining the game. Instead the masses want to unjustly nerf auras and ruin nearly every build currently in the game. (next month their focus will be on some other asinine aspect of the game they don't like for unjustified reasons).

The attention directed at RMT is far too small. GGG is not going to do anything about it until many more players speak out against it.

Awareness is not always a good thing. Awareness in the hands of those who can do something to actually fix the problem is a good thing; awareness in the hands of those who cannot do anything to fix the problem, but still have it in their power to make the problem worse, is a bad thing; awareness in the hands of those who can do neither is a pretty irrelevant thing (and neutral, technically, is non-good). For certain types of information, the average person has essentially zero chance of helping solve the problem, while still being able to make the problem worse; it is those types of information which can, should, and have been classified as secrets by governments and people with power over the course of human history. In many of these cases, additional ulterior motives were involved, but you do not need to be a villain in order to keep a secret, and plenty of extremely ethical men strive to prevent awareness using this rationale.

If you believe squawking on the forums is "solving issues," you have delusions of grandeur. All of this talk is just talk. We are not the developers of Path of Exile and our actions on these forums do not impact Path of Exile, at least not directly. It is the developers who have the power to change the game, and thus it is their awareness of the issue which is important. As far as the players go, they are powerless to change the game, but they can decide to indulge in RMT themselves, so they are the exact type of bad awareness I was talking about. I mean, don't get me wrong, we're forumers here, and I know we go to forums because we like (dis)agreeing with people for their reasons and having people (dis)agree with us for our reasons, so I'm not saying you should stop caring about what people think — that's the forum game. However, something like this is a higher priority than the forum game, and you can discuss other topics where the bad-awareness problem doesn't apply.

Because it is the developers and only the developers whose awareness can be used in a constructive manner, if you see anything regarding RMT or have any thoughts on the matter, these should generally be sent directly to the developers using either the forum PM feature or by sending them an email. I am not saying awareness itself is bad, because that's insane, so of course GGG should know what's going on; I am saying general public awareness of RMT is bad, because it's like giving the RMT companies free word-of-mouth advertising. It's called confidentiality; use it.

Last but not least: yes, if you make a thread with RMT in the subject title, it should get locked and banished to some forum nether-region, away from the eyes of innocents. Repeated attempts at making threads on the topic of RMT should lead to a probation. I doubt it would ever need to escalate to banning, but the point is there is no need for players to be aware of these issues, only a need for devs to be aware of them.

And yes, I'm including this thread; at the very least, need to edit the title to remove the RMT mention.

So I wonder why you gave so much feedback to the game. Following your argumentation, we can close this forum and keep our mouth shut, cause its GGG´s game and we can´t change anything.

GGG created the current state of the game, making it in a way that the intelligent, competitive player´s first choice is to go and RMT for best success. So you want to tell me, that exactly the ones who caused this situation by their own game design are supposed now to be aware of a problem?? And the normal, average player - who is rather giving his money to GGG than to RMT - is supposed to keep his mouth shut....don´t see none, don´t hear none, don´t say none ???

I am more into democratic habits. Don´t appreciate to keep normal folks dumb. I say let´s talk about RMT a lot to put pressure on GGG. They need pressure right now and ongoing, cause the direction the game takes tells me that "honeymoon is pretty over"

BTW I guess normal "dumb folks" in this game know very well why certain people desperately wannna avoid RMT discussions, going that far to cry for bans. QQing at its best.......( "your tears are delicious" XD)
Last edited by Moonlight33 on Jul 23, 2014, 12:54:54 AM
"
BARL wrote:
Classic. Thinks RMT posts should be banned because it draws attention to it so makes an RMT post and draws attention to it...

Hilarious.
Here because someone said something about a band?

Is someone starting a band?

Standard Forever
It' "banned" bro

This is a band
Git R Dun!
"
Moonlight33 wrote:
Spoiler
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"

So I wonder why you gave so much feedback to the game. Following your argumentation, we can close this forum and keep our mouth shut, cause its GGG´s game and we can´t change anything.

GGG created the current state of the game, making it in a way that the intelligent, competitive player´s first choice is to go and RMT for best success. So you want to tell me, that exactly the ones who caused this situation by their own game design are supposed now to be aware of a problem?? And the normal, average player - who is rather giving his money to GGG than to RMT - is supposed to keep his mouth shut....don´t see none, don´t hear none, don´t say none ???

I am more into democratic habits. Don´t appreciate to keep normal folks dumb. I say let´s talk about RMT a lot to put pressure on GGG. They need pressure right now and ongoing, cause the direction the game takes tells me that "honeymoon is pretty over"

BTW I guess normal "dumb folks" in this game know very well why certain people desperately wannna avoid RMT discussions, going that far to cry for bans. QQing at its best.......( "your tears are delicious" XD)

Most hilarious shit I read in a while.

It's funny how people get all political and "WE NEED TO PUT MEDIA PRESSURE ON GGG!!!1" in a gaming forum, really thinking that they are not aware of RMT. Chris' past statements on those issues made clear that he hates RMT. They can't talk about their means to stop it because that would be like giving fuel to your enemies. Hell, they even dislike cross-league trading for the same reasons.

They do fight it, given their past decisions. They hindered new player gameplay in favor of more control (read time) against RMT drivers, remember the lvl 25 currency trade threshold? Or the client limitation? The suggestions I read in many of those RMT threads are awful, hindering actual legit players even more or butchering essential gameplay elements because "Well, we must fight them, right!?" Guess what, you don't fight a situation in chopping your own head off. This makes the problem disappear, sure.

Anyone seriously concerned about competition need to forget about ladders, they will be always sprinkled with some RMT assholes. You want competitive gameplay? Consider races if anything. "But maphack, buh, buh!" Shit, those top-racers sure are cheating all, just like all top-ladder people RMT. Or you know, they just invest more time like you anyway, making it a hard time for you to keep up with them in general. You don't like this type of player time driven competition? Well fuck, you need to play a different game.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 23, 2014, 8:14:31 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info