How to make unset rings more attractive to roll & use

I made reddit post about it, but I should've clearly posted it here. (I don't know if posting the topic didn't belong on reddit, but one guy flamed me for it)

I've been thinking, what would be nice change for them and I came up with an unique feature, that could be implemented and balanced so the unset rings wouldn't be underwhelming anymore. As you all know, this type of ring has an implicit ability of storing one either blue, green or red gem.

At the beginning I thought that there could be special affix, that would increse +1 level of gem in this ring, but would probably influence only few gems that could stand alone without linking to any other (artic armour,selfcast decoy totem). But then I figured out and came up with something that would make unset rings with their no-stats implicit more interesting.

I thought of adding special affix, that could be rolled exclusively on these rings and that would be + x-xx% gained more experience for gem put inside the ring. The value would be depending on iLvl of the ring of course, I would imagine numbers around (5-30%). I think this affix wouldn't be overpowered or useless with proper balancing, players would benefit from this in early and in lategame and this would make unset rings way more interesting overall.

Tell me guys please, what do you think about this idea and if this would be the proper way to improve unset ring quality.

Thanks, nudle
Last edited by nudle on Jul 22, 2014, 12:21:41 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I saw this on reddit, but since that conversation had already devolved into an arguing match, I felt a response here is more appropriate.

Your idea is interesting, Unset rings are not commonly used, I know some people who use them for portal gems, so they dont have to take up gems slots on their linked gear.

I think your current rates of EXP gain (5-30%) may be too unbalanced. I would like to see rates closer to what Enlighten gem gives without quality, (5-12%) 5% EXP gain for the socketed gem for a modifier on lower level unset rings, lets say ilvl 20. And 12% for ilvl 70+ I think these numbers would allow people to level extra gems more quickly but not so fast that lvl 20 gems would be easy to farm and everyone would have lots of 20/20 gems. It might be unbalanced like that. A quality Enlighten can give another gem 112% 12% more EXP at level 3 and 20q, but the drawback is that Enlighten does not give EXP gain to support gems. Maybe that could be another consideration for balance, certain gem types would be unaffected by the unset ring EXP gain modifier.

I like your idea, I'm just trying to think of possible balance issues that could happen.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
Last edited by KimchiGirlx3 on Jul 22, 2014, 9:00:17 AM
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:
I saw this on reddit, but since that conversation had already devolved into an arguing match, I felt a response here is more appropriate.

Your idea is interesting, Unset rings are not commonly used, I know some people who use them for portal gems, so they dont have to take up gems slots on their linked gear.

I think your current rates of EXP gain (5-30%) may be too unbalanced. I would like to see rates closer to what Enlighten gem gives without quality, (5-12%) 5% EXP gain for the socketed gem for a modifier on lower level unset rings, lets say ilvl 20. And 12% for ilvl 70+ I think these numbers would allow people to level extra gems more quickly but not so fast that lvl 20 gems would be easy to farm and everyone would have lots of 20/20 gems. It might be unbalanced like that. A quality Enlighten can give another gem 112% more EXP at level 3 and 20q, but the drawback is that Enlighten does not give EXP gain to support gems. Maybe that could be another consideration for balance, certain gem types would be unaffected by the unset ring EXP gain modifier.

I like your idea, I'm just trying to think of possible balance issues that could happen.

A quality enlighten gem only gives 12% increased EXP to another gem, The 100% increased exp from the quality only applies to the enlighten gem itself.

"+1-3 to gems in this item" should be a possible modifier roll. Not implicit - implicit is already the socket but an additional possible modifier.

Allows ppl to run 23 auras if they roll right and will get used more.

Git R Dun!
Last edited by Aim_Deep on Jul 22, 2014, 9:22:36 AM
Just a question, has anyone seen them drop after the leagues ended?

As I can't say I have.
"
Just a question, has anyone seen them drop after the leagues ended?

As I can't say I have.
I don't think they will drop again until new leagues start. When GGG adds rebalanced ambush boxes and invasion monsters to Standard and Hardcore permanent leagues.
"Come along fool, a direct hit to the senses will leave you disconnected."
I think unset ring are fine
Sometimes with some build u miss some socket, and with one socket u can put something like decoy totem, Artic armor, vaal hast, skele...
"
keta wrote:
I think unset ring are fine
Sometimes with some build u miss some socket, and with one socket u can put something like decoy totem, Artic armor, vaal hast, skele...

The thing is as was pointed out that you always prefer to have those kind od spells linked with support gem (increased duration)... I can see only AA as best choice to have in unset.... even curses benefits from stuff like faster casting
"
KimchiGirlx3 wrote:

I think your current rates of EXP gain (5-30%) may be too unbalanced. I would like to see rates closer to what Enlighten gem gives without quality, (5-12%) 5% EXP gain for the socketed gem for a modifier on lower level unset rings, lets say ilvl 20. And 12% for ilvl 70+ I think these numbers would allow people to level extra gems more quickly but not so fast that lvl 20 gems would be easy to farm and everyone would have lots of 20/20 gems. It might be unbalanced like that. A quality Enlighten can give another gem 112% 12% more EXP at level 3 and 20q, but the drawback is that Enlighten does not give EXP gain to support gems. Maybe that could be another consideration for balance, certain gem types would be unaffected by the unset ring EXP gain modifier.

Balancing is definetely on table. I haven't give the numbers hours of thoughts, your lower values seems more then propriate. If I compare my idea with other guys points that the ring should have give resists or some sort of it I would still choose the unique feature of + xx % experience gained to socketed gems. Im very glad that you see it similarily.
I've got it!

unset ring increases experience gain of gem by 10%

why the hell else use an unset?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info