add Microtransaction-stuff to the loot table

I did support the idea of microtransactions being part of the loot-table but with a limited time like five minutes or less. However, this still allows a player to not invest any money and play the game, either in town or in hostile areas, with MTXs.

That can't happen.

What can happen is either a solo area, where only one player can be at any time, or something in the menu that allows you to view your character with various MTXs. This way a player can mix and match what they may want while not showing off to other players.

This I would be for, but not something that allows a player to show an MTX to other players that they did not pay for. If MTXs become droppable or in any way part of the game without having to be paid for, I will not spend another cent.
"

So, you give people free cars or boats? Because by your logic that increases sales. You know nothing about the sales business, you give away cheap stuff not good stuff and pets are epic shit worth a lot of points.

Yeah, places never have contests to win free cars... Ever. A local dealership didn't just run a contest giving away a brand new Chrysler 200, just for coming in, and taking a test drive, and listening to the sales pitch. Nope. Never happens.

But, to quantify my idea, i'm not talking about giving away the Infernal Fox, or Acid Scorpion, or Infernal Scorpion, or Lightning Scorpion Pet either.

And pets are the most expensive things? REALLY?

Why... My browser must be acting up then. Because I see 7 pets under 50 points. SEVEN out of 19 pets are less than 50 points, or in layman's terms, less than 5 Dollars U.S.

That's not exactly stunningly expensive.

I mean, you could get REALLY cheap, and just go with the 4 pets @ 25 points or less. And then you still have an in game chance to get an MTX, without sending GGG into bankruptcy.

Or, they could do a deal where MTX's, that are of a significant age, and no longer sell well, become in game drops. Further driving the in game economy.

But then, the problem becomes: RMT. But then, the problem will always be RMT with a game like this. MTX RMT, at least IMO, would be a far smaller concern than the economy destroying Orb RMT, and Gear RMT.
They currently do give away MTX in a limited manner through race rewards.

MTX's could drop as loot, but then they'd be very rare... and thus, you probably wouldn't really see one... unless they dropped as a time limited singe use variety, and then they could be more common but you'd only have it for say 5 minutes...

But this is entirely up to GGG. They would mostly consider doing it if they thought it might get you hooked on having it, and/or help advertise that it is available. Their choice.

However, if they ever completely give away MTX as a not that rare loot drop, then they might need even more MTX'es, and they'd probably do it after they gave the MTX plenty of chance to sell first. But I'm perfectly fine with them never making MTXes free - because they can always choose to significantly reduce prices on old ones, or put old ones back in the vault and only make them available in limited windows.
Last edited by DragonsProphecy on Jul 23, 2014, 2:55:13 PM
Thank you all for your feedback!

Usually, people who don't want to spend money on MTX's do so because they don't want to, not because they just might get a random drop.
Especially with PoE players my impression is they buy MTX's to support GGG.

The RMT problem already is there I guess with orbs and gear (and actually worth more, because these add a real benefit, opposed to only cosmetic stuff), so that won't matter much either.
In one of the recent steam sales there were some cosmetic effects available for free. So I guess these didn't hurt GGG either, or at least the commercial effect was expected to be greater than the supposed loss. These were traded on steam for a few cents too. So the RMT-aspect kind of isn't worth that much for cosmetic stuff, since players place the value at only a few cents a piece, whereas the store sells them for much more.

So by adding (temporarily limited?) MTX's, or actual rare drops, I don't think there will be any financial loss. At most, some will play more, in the hopes of getting something nice:)

Currently I am happy to find rare currency, as well as any unique i come across (still have only half a stash tab full).
Currency gets used, in the long run, and uniques either aren't that good at all, or simply situational, depending on your spec.

So adding something else special would actually be kind of nice too.
Some examples I had in mind:
- When slaying a major boss or an exile, allow the player to wear his armour (until the session ends or you die) or
- add (very rare) gems with one of the alternate skill effects
- after slaying a (random number) of skeletons, have a small bone minion follow you around (or whatever type of creature)
- when completing a number of challenges, add a special emote to show off your accomplishment

Perhaps that is something for later on, as advertisement or whatever.

The idea with adding a place to try out any MTX's also is nice, kind of like an ingame market or shop, to try out whatever you like, with a pay-option when leaving:)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info