Blackfish (When good Orcas go bad)

I just watched Blackfish (I'm generally late to any party) which is a documentary on the captivity of Killer Whales. I love watching animal wide life video footage so this was right up my alley.

Spoiler
There was a clear agenda which in this case was to highlight the treatment of Orcas in captivity. Some people have labelled it as propaganda which it is and has been meet with just as much misinformation from Seaworld.

I was effected by the personality and intelligence of the whales and the bonds they place on family. I knew they existed in pods and hunted as a group but to hear the distress and sorrow when the young was removed from the mother had me close to tears. The whale that took his trainer by the foot down to the bottom of the tank and then let him up only to repeat the process with the other foot was a clear message that I choose to let you live.

The effect the movie had on my missus was devastating. She had recalled many times the fondness she had of her visit to Seaworld, how she had sat in the splash zone and marveled at the bonds formed with their trainers. Now she is feeling somewhat guilty.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Last edited by Hardlicker on Jul 23, 2014, 11:58:34 PM
As no-one has replied I'm going to guess one of these reasons.

1) No-one knows what the fuck it is and couldn't care less.

2) Some people know what it is but think the subject isn't worth commenting on.

3) Some people were interested enough to open the post but found out that it wasn't the latest undersea role playing adventure shoot em up.

It really is worth while watching. The rare footage of some incredible scenes alone is enough to offset the agenda of the film.
"Withdrawing in disgust is not the same as apathy"

Mostly 2. Sorry you had to learn about this through a traumatising video, but Seaworld's cruelty and mistreatment of their wildlife is well-documented.

I think people in general, when confronted with these things, subconsciously weigh up the consequences of 'caring' too much when they've already got 'too much' to care for in their daily lives. I know how easy it is to get wrapped up in these things, and it's a survival instinct to reject, out of hand, causes and dilemmas and crises that don't directly affect us.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
I skimmed through the video when it was first released. Just not something i want to see. Just like in any show or movie where someone is getting tortured, i fast forward or turn it off.

Its sad yes. There are a lot of sad things in this world. If we were to take action to prevent such atrocities not only would sea world cease to be but there would be no more meat/milk, governments, and prisons in the world.

Are we powerless to change the world? In many ways the short answer is yes.

Is it our fault that such unspeakable things happen? Yes and no. Our inaction does aid in their continuation. But nature(not just human nature) has always been a bitch, survival of the fittest and such. Animals were fighting over territory and females long before homo sapiens came to be. Parasites and disease can inflict such heinous damage it can give ya nightmares just thinking about it.

I suppose the ultimate viewpoint is that there is no good or evil. Everything simply is. And we are all doomed to dust in the annuals of time. Nothing truly matters.

But beyond that, our intelligence allows us to make decisions which will benefit our prosperity. Should that prosperity be extended to all life? I think no. I think ultimately it should only include those which agree on mutual cooperation. Most animals simply do not have the cognitive ability to understand such a concept. Perhaps they are more intelligent than we are aware though. Who knows. Dolphins, dogs, manatees, whales, octopus, primates, squid, and others may all some day share our prosperity.

For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it
Last edited by SkyCore on Jul 24, 2014, 2:02:08 AM
http://youtu.be/dZrzRrPRdC0?t=11m35s
Found something interesting about animals.
For years i searched for deep truths. A thousand revelations. At the very edge...the ability to think itself dissolves away.Thinking in human language is the problem. Any separation from 'the whole truth' is incomplete.My incomplete concepts may add to your 'whole truth', accept it or think about it

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info