What anime do you watch? What manga do you read?

I just finished watching Samurai Champloo; what a beautiful anime, definitely one of my favorites of all time. Trigun and Berserk are also really amazing and I hope to watch Gurren Lagann soon, and Cowboy Bebop after that.

As for manga, I'm currently really early in both Berserk and Vagabond. What about you guys?
I've watched and read hundreds of them.

In terms of animes, i'm currently watching Barakamon, SAO II, Aldnoah Zero and Mahouka. They're not the best out there, but I can only feed on new content these days.

As to mangas/manwhas, Vinland Saga (top !), Tower of God, Kingdom, Blood and Steel, Peak, Yongbi, Sidooh (has a Vagabond feeling to it, you might like).

The ones you mention are all good, and I suggest you watch them. You can also try Black Lagoon, NHK ni youkoso, Fullmetal Alchemist : Brotherhood (the original one is quite good too, but I prefer the remake), and probably a hundred more I could quote.

Check out My Anime List to get some suggestions.
Recently I read Power Play! and Hyouka, both having their own charm.

Power Play! is a rather amusing vanilla hentai manga about a game designer being confronted with his own creations, some really heroic characters all with their own touch. It features a crazy brown-skinned familiar chick, a really cute tsundere warrior princess, an androphobic lube ninja, which is furthermore lesbian and a lewd, perverted mage with the unique skill of magical harem. Down the road the protagonist needs to choose his favorite chick, which splits down into a "Choose your own adventure-Novel" thing, which surprised me and was amusing although not fleshed out enough in my opinion. It had great potential.

Spoiler
There is no harem ending.
But oh boy, the beginning covers all of it.

Hyouka is nice.
Last edited by Nightmare90 on Jul 19, 2014, 1:38:00 PM
Blade of the Immortal is the only manga I collect obsessively. Artistically, it blitzes Vagabond, but Vagabond has an extremely original take on Musashi.

I used to read Bastard!! But I am firmly convinced Kazushi Hagiwara has lost the plot.

Most manga worth its salt becomes a decent anime, with the tragic exception of Blade of the Immortal.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Anime, easy, DB and DBZ. Not really into mangas but i read the Tempe Brennan Novels.
I've been reading the One-Punch Man remake, it's a quite entertaining superhero spoof and the art is borderline glorious.

Some examples.
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
One-Punch Man is hilarious, but the releases seem inconsistent and too stretched.

"
Charan wrote:
Blade of the Immortal is the only manga I collect obsessively.

The ending left me bitter, but it was indeed very good.
Last edited by Bobbyblind on Jul 20, 2014, 12:22:58 PM
For manga, I love hunter x hunter, especially now the series has began again, counting down every week is a pain. Hopefully the writer will stick around for a while this time.

Vagabond is one of my favourite as well, and Charan you reckon blade of immortal looks better? I must give it a try then. The writer of vagabond used to draw Slam Dunk which is the best basketball manga and got me into play basketball when I was a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJPjeaIr-8

A pretty crazy commercial clip by Inoue Takehiko (writer of vagabond) for those interested
Green_honey_boo_boo is my favourite south park character!

My Goddess Scorned crit ele cleave build @ 1076445
"
Bobbyblind wrote:
One-Punch Man is hilarious, but the releases seem inconsistent and too stretched.

"
Charan wrote:
Blade of the Immortal is the only manga I collect obsessively.

The ending left me bitter, but it was indeed very good.

Whoa, it ended? So much for my obsessive collecting. I was up to volume 26 I believe. I'll grab the rest and do a re-read. I still can't get over that art though. Such anatomical grace caught mid-slaughter.

edit: it has ended in Japanese, but there are a few volumes left to be published in English:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Blade-Immortal-Volume-30-Vigilance/dp/1616554843/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1405910641&sr=8-3&keywords=blade+of+the+immortal

and that's apparently the penultimate. No spoiling if you read it in Japanese please. :)

__

Oh, and Kenshin. Of course. Although I only really read the manga to get the Jinchuu arc cleared up.

__

I did recently read all of the DBZ manga (VizBig separated DB from DBZ for Western publication, for obvious reasons) and was interested at how much of the series was indeed filler. What surprised me was how much of that filler I remember fondly and found its absence from the original manga a negative point.

__

I tried reading X, having seen and loved the tv series and basically liking CLAMP's style overall (my X/1999 artbook is a truly prized possession), but found out that without Naoki Sato's moving score, I just couldn't quite get into it as much.

__

related note: Sword of the Stranger is almost certainly the greatest anime for sheer chanbara madness. The last half hour makes it all so worth it. Related because it's Naoki Sato doing the music, and because like Kenshin, the 'Stranger' has sworn not to kill...again...

__

Also related note: Le Chevalier D'Eon is excellent. Same director as Kenshin (both the series and the unfairly brilliant OVAs), and from a period when Production I.G. were almost actively trying to combat the tsunami of moe with stuff like Moribito, Blood+, Stand Alone Complex and Eden of the East (all also great shows, although Blood+ stands above the others for me). I was wary of Chevalier, since it's about, well, a cross-dressing swordsman of Versailles, but it's quality stuff.

Bonus points: based on a real-life badass.

__

These days, I only really watch anime I can get on Bluray (since most less legal sources tend to encode in mkv, and my tv shits itself with mkvs), so that has made me rather picky, especially for someone who used to collect vhs tapes of just about everything and anything anime and gorge on it.

__

Finally, back to Kenshin -- the live action movie is the best anime-to-live-action effort to date, and the two-parter covering the Kyoto Arc may well keep up the standard. Strongly, strongly recommended (oh, and hey, more Naoki Sato music).
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 20, 2014, 10:45:58 PM
"
turtleken wrote:
For manga, I love hunter x hunter, especially now the series has began again, counting down every week is a pain. Hopefully the writer will stick around for a while this time.

Vagabond is one of my favourite as well, and Charan you reckon blade of immortal looks better? I must give it a try then. The writer of vagabond used to draw Slam Dunk which is the best basketball manga and got me into play basketball when I was a teen.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ObJPjeaIr-8

A pretty crazy commercial clip by Inoue Takehiko (writer of vagabond) for those interested

I didn't know the Slam Dunk connection but I can REALLY see it now! Have to admit, the ending theme song for Slam Dunk, Anata dake mitsumeteru by Maki Oguro was one of my first exposures to Jpop, but the anime/manga itself never grabbed me. I don't do sports anime/manga, although the GF is into Free on Crunchyroll right now.

__

I should elaborate on what I mean when I find Blade of the Immortal better-looking. Page-to-page, Vagabond is superior. But Blade progresses towards these one-or-two page spreads where the artist just cuts loose and does what can be described as hyper-extensive anatomical snapshots.

I prefer the basic style of Blade as well, but that's personal. Inoue's style can be a bit busy and rough-hewn for me at times, whereas Samura is very clean.

Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jul 20, 2014, 10:40:16 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info