The Antithesis to Self Found :: Found By Others Challenge!

I assume OP likes to trade?

Its the hatred if trading that drives self found. It really is as simple as that. But PoE is designed around trading and that is what alienates many of us.

Yes its a wonderful game. Yes GGG is a new company that has done wonders. But no. I will not trade.

You like trading? Then trade away. Don't let me stop you. But think you are going to find away to make me trade? Give up already.
"
Moonyu wrote:
I assume OP likes to trade?

Its the hatred if trading that drives self found. It really is as simple as that. But PoE is designed around trading and that is what alienates many of us.

Yes its a wonderful game. Yes GGG is a new company that has done wonders. But no. I will not trade.

You like trading? Then trade away. Don't let me stop you. But think you are going to find away to make me trade? Give up already.

Well, said. More cookies for you. :)
"
Isbox1 wrote:

Sorry to say this wasn't well thought out now, was it...

Basically if you cannot accept quest reards, cannot pick up a single item, what do you have to start trading with? A character name that's cool?

I have no clue where you were going with this thread - I guess you were trying to somehow mock the SFL proponents?

I think you guys are really missing the point of this thread.

The point is not to mock Self Found people or get them to stop being Self Found. I have no problem with people who want to play Self Found.

The point of this thread is to create a highly restrictive ruleset that makes the trading game challenging. It's simply a challenge for people who like trading who want to test their abilities.

Yes, that's right -- you have to beg for crappy items to get started with. People will give you stuff. Then you have to use all of your trading skills to trade those items up for better items that you can use to level up. Whenever you need an upgrade, you MUST trade for it using the stuff you currently have. That is supposed to be the challenge.
IGNs

Standard: Gyakufu | Gyakufuu
Warbands: Tsukikage
Tempest: Yamakage
OP has a pretty cool idea, imo.

Everything you pick up or receive as a quest reward is "greyed out", and cannot be used by you. You find an exalt on the ground, and that's great, but you have to trade it away. You can't apply it to any item.

Similarly, you can only use items that would be "greyed out" for other people, and you must trade to progress.

It would make for a pretty interesting 1mo league. After a week, it'll be similar to the other leagues, but at the start it'd be very interesting. The only really interesting difference in the long term is that people will give you extremely lopsided trades since they have the knowledge that, if you're trading away a mirror, it's because you can't use it anyway.
"
swarmofseals wrote:
"
Isbox1 wrote:

Sorry to say this wasn't well thought out now, was it...

Basically if you cannot accept quest reards, cannot pick up a single item, what do you have to start trading with? A character name that's cool?

I have no clue where you were going with this thread - I guess you were trying to somehow mock the SFL proponents?

I think you guys are really missing the point of this thread.

The point is not to mock Self Found people or get them to stop being Self Found. I have no problem with people who want to play Self Found.

The point of this thread is to create a highly restrictive ruleset that makes the trading game challenging. It's simply a challenge for people who like trading who want to test their abilities.

Yes, that's right -- you have to beg for crappy items to get started with. People will give you stuff. Then you have to use all of your trading skills to trade those items up for better items that you can use to level up. Whenever you need an upgrade, you MUST trade for it using the stuff you currently have. That is supposed to be the challenge.

Trading already is a challenge. I cant buy anything because it costs all ex. And i only got 3 in standard and one in any other league. Good thing giving stuff away and playing on my own or in parties is more fun than path of trading. Sharing is caring.
Your suggestion still requires interacting with other players. The very thing many of us SFO players are actively trying to avoid. Having to rely on you or anyone else is the opposite of fun for me.

I just want to enjoy the game. Force me to trade to win, party to win, use magic or ranged to win and you will force me to find another game. Pretty simple really.
I see it the same way, Moon
You can get hand outs pretty easily... especially if you tell them about your quest.
"
swarmofseals wrote:
A lot of people talk about the challenge of playing solo and self found. I'm here today to present an opposite challenge for anyone who wants to take up the gauntlet:

Solo and Found By Others

You must play solo, and you may not pick up any items from drops or quests. That's right, every single item you acquire must be given to you by another person or traded for. This includes your original skill gem and weapon -- you can't even pick those up.

To make things more interesting you may not accept gifts of currency, uniques, items above ilvl 20 (standard) or ilvl 10 (league), gems with quality, or gems worth more than 1 fusing. You can beg for scraps to get you started, but from there on you must trade to equip yourself. Note that if someone you know (or someone that follows you on stream) offers you a heavily lopsided trade in your favor this counts as a gift, not a trade.

If you are a popular streamer you may not use your stream to solicit donations. In fact, you may not accept unsolicited donations of any kind. Everything you are given you must ask for or trade for in game.

I'm sure that there are loopholes that I haven't thought of here, but the point is to do this challenge within the spirit of its intent.

Trading is powerful... but can you master this game on trading alone?

But that would require "talking" to people.

No true self founders can be lowered to that level with us mere peons.

VI
Last edited by ConanTheGamebarian on Jul 16, 2014, 8:41:32 PM
"

No true self founders can be lowered to that level with us mere peons.

Completely misses the point. I don't look down on anyone. Trade away if that is what makes you happy. Play Hardcore or standard if that makes you happy. That has nothing to do with not trading.

What playing SFO is about is playing a preferred way. I am quite personable outside of gaming, but I don't want to play online with the same friends I will spend hours with on my boat. That you take it as an insult is so far off the charts that I have a hard time understanding how you ever even thought that.

Non-polite response (Take as the joke it meant to be and not personally)
Spoiler
How far up your own ass did you have to reach to find that one?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info