Worried about RMT

I know RMT is a problem in any online game and especially so in ARPGs, so I don't have an unrealistic expectation of the total elimination of RMT sites and bots.

However, with the recent reddit post showing that RMT sites are beginning to craft and sell mirrored tier 1 items I am worried GGG isn't doing enough to combat RMT sites and their customers.

I imagine it should be easy to track down every player running around with a $250 RMT exclusive wand and ban each and every person with it, but I don't see this being done.

I understand it is impossible to track down the source of every RMTed item. I am sure some of the exalts I have in my possession have passed through RMT before reaching me, but for a $250 item this is not the case. These items are not going to change hands much if at all.

Another problem I have with GGG's handling of RMT is their policy of naming and shaming. If a high profile player is caught RMTing or botting and then banned why make it taboo to mention this person? Doesn't it serve as a cautionary tale to other players?

I would also like it if GGG would give announcements about what they are doing to stop RMT. Maybe without going into specifics that could harm the processes they use to track down RMTers but names and numbers of people banned would be nice.

Mirror worthy items are already held by a small number of oligarchs, and that is acceptable as it is the natural progression of a free market. GGG needs to regulate the "cheaters" (RMT sites and RMTers) and make sure they don't manage to create a monopoly on these items.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
+1 Things are getting really ugly. RMT sites are crafting and regular people can´t even craft because of huge market inflation.
it's not that RMT is breaking the game...and creating monopolies... it's already broken. The drop rates are such shit that GGG is ensuring that RMT is the only viable option for "casual" ( please notice I said casual ) gamers to test out the funnest most viable builds in this game. I said viable and not OP, because I don't think OP should be used to describe every build that works.

So which option would you choose if you were a casual gamer that just wants to have fun in this most awesome ARPG ever?

1. Grind for roughly the equivalent of the Jurassic period ( 16 million years ) to get a shavs and a CoE . I only have 15 Million, 999 thousand, 998 years to go if my RNG luck holds out. With my luck of playing for 2 years probably around 3000 hours and getting 0 top end uniques this may or may not be an over estimate. Maybe it's accurate, I don't know, and the only ones that really know are GGG.

2. Hold out for GGG to add an MTX in the future which will include build enabling uniques. I don't see GGG doing this as it goes against their philosophy of punish punish punish. I also doubt they will ever increase drop rates of top uniques.

3. Work 2 hours of overtime and buy your gear from an RMT site.

I don't care what is done to combat RMT, I am resigned to the fact I will never be able to experience the fun that is currently Shav's / CoE / ST. Unless someone RMT'd a set, got bored of POE and is quitting ... anyone wnat to donate a shavs ??? anyone ??? Bueller ?
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
it's d3 all over again

just that it's not ingame rmt-ing :D
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:
it's not that RMT is breaking the game...and creating monopolies... it's already broken. The drop rates are such shit that GGG is ensuring that RMT is the only viable option for "casual" ( please notice I said casual ) gamers to test out the funnest most viable builds in this game. I said viable and not OP, because I don't think OP should be used to describe every build that works.

So which option would you choose if you were a casual gamer that just wants to have fun in this most awesome ARPG ever?

1. Grind for roughly the equivalent of the Jurassic period ( 16 million years ) to get a shavs and a CoE . I only have 15 Million, 999 thousand, 998 years to go if my RNG luck holds out. With my luck of playing for 2 years probably around 3000 hours and getting 0 top end uniques this may or may not be an over estimate. Maybe it's accurate, I don't know, and the only ones that really know are GGG.

2. Hold out for GGG to add an MTX in the future which will include build enabling uniques. I don't see GGG doing this as it goes against their philosophy of punish punish punish. I also doubt they will ever increase drop rates of top uniques.

I don't care what is done to combat RMT, I am resigned to the fact I will never be able to experience the fun that is currently Shav's / CoE / ST. Unless someone RMT'd a set, got bored of POE and is quitting ... anyone wnat to donate a shavs ??? anyone ??? Bueller ?

I've had a shavs drop personally (second post nerfed shavs to drop) so my perspective on the time frame for a super rare unique drop is different than yours.

But back on topic, the drop rates are fine. An ex an hour is possible with a dedicated MF character. The problem is that someone can pay $2-3 to buy an ex through RMT. For many people the opportunity cost of playing that 1 hour of Dom farming is higher than just paying the few bucks for each of their orbs.

Even this wouldn't be an issue to me if I could see GGG doing more to stop it.
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
"
buhdunkadunk wrote:

RMT does wreck this game. Why do u think drop rates are so bad? If there is 8000 people playing (just a random number) lets say they want 1 mirror to drop per day. So now lets say 8000 rmt botters join in they need to reduce these rates to account for the extra people in the game now.
People RMT because they are entitled babies, not because of drop rates. You could make high currency and top uniques 100x more likely to drop and people that RMT would still RMT when the game didn't give them exactly what they want. RMT will always be easier than playing to acquire stuff.
When I kill a man he stays dead.
"
mucker wrote:
People RMT because they are entitled babies, not because of drop rates. You could make high currency and top uniques 100x more likely to drop and people that RMT would still RMT when the game didn't give them exactly what they want. RMT will always be easier than playing to acquire stuff.

With such increased rates, the monetary value of said items will be drastically reduced, effectively killing the market, and sending botters on to other, more profitable games. Further, playing the game to acquire stuff is extremely time consuming for very marginal reward. You might acquire stuff, but you might not. The gambling system is set up to produce exactly these results. I mean, you really couldn't design a game to better incentivize RMT. It's nearly a textbook P2W system design, but without official P2W shops.
No. Calm down. Learn to enjoy losing.
"
b15h09 wrote:
"
mucker wrote:

With such increased rates, the monetary value of said items will be drastically reduced, effectively killing the market, and sending botters on to other, more profitable games. Further, playing the game to acquire stuff is extremely time consuming for very marginal reward. You might acquire stuff, but you might not. The gambling system is set up to produce exactly these results. I mean, you really couldn't design a game to better incentivize RMT. It's nearly a textbook P2W system design, but without official P2W shops.

^ this

no life until you get a tier 1 drop , and then flip your way to whatever you actually desire. Or you could play Trade Tycoon 2.0. Personally I love playing the game itself and not so much the economy/flipping/trade simulator. I just wish I could get my hands on some of these top end uniques in a period of time less than the 16 million years mentioned by actually playing the game.

Getting the drops is not in the cards for my playstyle because as mentioned this game is perfectly designed for RMT.
echo "The world is full of smart people" |sed -e 's/smart people/sheep/'
"
pichapie wrote:
it's d3 all over again

just that it's not ingame rmt-ing :D

Yup, pretty much.

[Removed by Support]
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1552460 - my drop solution
Specs: CPU - i5 9600k, geforce 2060, 32 gb ram, ssd, 2133/2333 mz.-----
EXILES EVERYWHERE, PLEASE?!?!?!
Last edited by Jared_GGG on Jul 20, 2014, 8:10:28 PM

Report Forum Post