Faster Casting VS Spell Echo

Now as a disclaimer; i haven't tried Spell Echo yet, so if this is obvious then sorry about this post. I'm currently following ZiggyDs EK build and i'm having a ton of fun with arctic armour, but i'll need to upgrade to a 5 link from my current crappy 2 linked EK. There's faster projectiles in there to increase the range significantly, then added fire for a bunch of damage. Life leech to obviously keep me alive, and then ZiggyD suggests faster casting for the last one. Now as far as i understand it, Spell Echo would be more of a dps up while also costing more mana. With the amount of mana regen i have that won't be any issue. So as far as i can see Spell Echo is basically an amped up version of faster casting in the same way that Multistrike is an amped up version of faster attacks. Any opinions on this?
Use Spell Echo 100%

Edit: Spell Echo actually reduces the mana usage of the skill, because you cast twice for the cost of once. It also multiplies any cast speed you have from your tree/items, so it can give you almost as much as faster casting if you have a lot of base cast speed.
"I see now that the circumstances of one's birth are irrelevant; it's what you do with the gift of life that determines who you are." - Mewtwo
Last edited by RulerofAsgard on Jul 15, 2014, 3:21:30 PM
Spell Echo blows faster casting out of the water. Zigs build was created prior to the addition of Echo. Spell echo at level one with a little quality is as strong as a level 20 faster casting gem.
spell echo

Only a tiny 10% damage reduction a tiny bit more on the mana multiplier which you then more than save on the echoed spell and more speed relative to faster casting
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1

with

and u basicly have a 8L

im trying to make a build with this staff wwhen i 6L it

so its 30 lvl echo from the staff + faster casting + gmp + faster projectiles + increase crit multi + cold penetration + ice spear

i will test if empower will be better than cold pen but for now im gonna go for cold pen first
IGN : Sir_Big
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I guess i'll be 4c lighter but with a massive damage up.
My current EK setup for an EK Shadow using AA, MoM and EB based on ZiggyD's :

(The Item Quantity is actually a 20/20 Fire damage)

With Spell Echo I gained 2K DPS and leech life & mana much more often, which is (of course) a lot safer.

(of course if you have a hundred exalted to use, buy a 6L Pledge of Hands as said above)

It's worth mentioning that if the text on Spell Echo and Faster Casting is correct. . .

The increased casting speed on Spell Echo is multiplicative, not additive. This is in comparison to Faster Casting's additive casting speed. This is a huge difference, and makes Spell Echo even more powerful in comparison to Faster Casting than it has any right to be.

I love Spell Echo. But why is it that a Level 20 Spell Echo gem has 30% greater casting speed, before you factor in that it's multiplicative, than a Level 20 Faster Casting gem?
"
It's worth mentioning that if the text on Spell Echo and Faster Casting is correct. . .

The increased casting speed on Spell Echo is multiplicative, not additive. This is in comparison to Faster Casting's additive casting speed. This is a huge difference, and makes Spell Echo even more powerful in comparison to Faster Casting than it has any right to be.

I love Spell Echo. But why is it that a Level 20 Spell Echo gem has 30% greater casting speed, before you factor in that it's multiplicative, than a Level 20 Faster Casting gem?

why is multistrike better than faster attack?
"
"

why is multistrike better than faster attack?

Where did he say he thinks Multistrike is better than Faster Attacks?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info