Path forward? A question for the veterans of 2H Marauding

Situation:

This is my first character. Almost no experience in ARPGs what so ever.
I use double handed axe and I intend to stick with them (or at least to two handed weapons). I am currently at level 27 and got 11 unspent skill points. I am wondering on what path to take forward (or I wouldn't have 11 skill points unspent obviously). I also hoard any gem I find.

Below are the skills I have unlocked:

So, any good pointer and tips on how to proceed forward?
I don't look on "Do exactly this and you will be awesome" type of guides but more on general advice, discussion about pro and cons of going for axes vs maces as two handed equipment. I have been reading few discussions about how to make a build and it seems that they all assume to create builds that are dependent on you rolling the right gems and equipment. Is this right way to create a build?

I also have looked on Frenzy and Warhammer's cry gems - While interesting their use deplete my mana rather quickly (Never tried combination of those).

1. U will need either Resolute Technique or shitloads of accuracy nodes to hit thingzzz. As you will have low critical multiplayer/chance I see no point wasting shitloads of points for accuracy nodes.
2. For weapon, i would suggest to sepecialize in no one. Just use one with highest dps. Get four major melee AoE skills (Ground Slam, Sweep, Leap Slam, Cleave) and swap them according to used weapon.
3. To cut of mana issues I would suggest to get Blood Magic.
4. As a melee character you will need shitloads of health. Also health regen is highly recommended (200 hp/s omfg)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
IGN: NinjaArabStrategist
Thank for advice.

1) Ok, It seems that Resolute Technique is the way to go... Is accuracy that much of an issue on higher levels btw?

2) Well, that is my natural instinct too, but if I don't take any dex nodes it will leave me only maces as a viable weapon at higher levels...

3) Agreed

Ok, based on your suggestions, I have created a certain build plan. The goal is to go for regen paths, after finishing the path for Resolute Technique. So far the build would look like this:

The first draft using 48 skill points

This would leave 22 to 30 skill points to flesh out this build.

--------------

At what point should I focus on getting the Blood Magic? After finishing health and regen modes or?
1. Accuracy is crucial. It is huge issue.

2. 30Dex nodes, onyx amulet, some random gear mods, no you won't expernice much problems with dex

3. Those 0.4% regen nodes are good. 3k life -> 12 hp/s for just one node

4. Hit ~200% life, and then think about something else

5. 1% Life Leech for two nodes is not good deal imho. You can get it easier with gear

6. Now we need moar life. I would suggest those Templar's Life nodes (Endurance Charge is cloooooose)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/73928 <-- [Newbie Friendly] Marauder Melee Build
"
1. U will need either Resolute Technique or shitloads of accuracy nodes to hit thingzzz. As you will have low critical multiplayer/chance I see no point wasting shitloads of points for accuracy nodes.
2. For weapon, i would suggest to sepecialize in no one. Just use one with highest dps. Get four major melee AoE skills (Ground Slam, Sweep, Leap Slam, Cleave) and swap them according to used weapon.
3. To cut of mana issues I would suggest to get Blood Magic.
4. As a melee character you will need shitloads of health. Also health regen is highly recommended (200 hp/s omfg)

Thanks for #2. I was wondering what do to now that I have a nice sword and a badass Maul. I love Cleave, Leap, and Sweep but didn't want to lose one.

I haven't tried Ground Slam yet. Is this a must?
Ground Slam is the best of all those 4 skills.
"
Ground Slam is the best of all those 4 skills.

Would you rather attach Life Gain on Hit or Stun to it?
Last edited by ishikabe1 on Feb 3, 2013, 12:28:57 PM
The only support gems you're going to use are either dmg ones or life leech / life gain on hit.
The reason for this is mostly that gems like Stun only work in a decent manner if you build for example with Stun a Stunlock specc. This can be done with getting reduced enemy stun threshold. The best way to do this in my opinion is groundslam spamm / heavy strike single target. But thats very niche and not something you should go as your first char imo.

The basic dmg ones will be Melee Physical Dmg, Added Fire Dmg, (Weapon Elemental Dmg), Faster Attacks.

On low level you will be using life gain on hit for regenerating, on higher lvs you will get life leech which is stronger in most situations. But those 2 differ in a significant way:
Life Leech is applied as healing over time, so it's included in your life regg (you can even test it when you look at your Defence Tab on C)
Life Gain On Hit is applied instantly. This means you hit the enemy you get the hp
This can be crucial in endgame where you can get the Map stat: 50% slower regen / 0% regen
Last edited by TehLyan on Feb 3, 2013, 12:22:53 PM
"
TehLyan wrote:
The only support gems you're going to use are either dmg ones or life leech / life gain on hit.
The reason for this is mostly that gems like Stun only work in a decent manner if you build for example with Stun a Stunlock specc. This can be done with getting reduced enemy stun threshold. The best way to do this in my opinion is groundslam spamm / heavy strike single target. But thats very niche and not something you should go as your first char imo.

The basic dmg ones will be Melee Physical Dmg, Added Fire Dmg, (Weapon Elemental Dmg), Faster Attacks.

On low level you will be using life gain on hit for regenerating, on higher lvs you will get life leech which is stronger in most situations. But those 2 differ in a significant way:
Life Leech is applied as healing over time, so it's included in your life regg (you can even test it when you look at your Defence Tab on C)
Life Gain On Hit is applied instantly. This means you hit the enemy you get the hp
This can be crucial in endgame where you can get the Map stat: 50% slower regen / 0% regen

Thanks!

I will removed Stun and link Melee Phys and Leech to my all ready linked Life Gain.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info