1 month league response to low player numbers?

"
f4sak3n wrote:
The only time you MUST assume anything is when using a technique called reductio ad absurdum. Otherwise assumptions are optional, you do it only when you can get away with it.

Heres a spoiler: <spoiler>it's a technique used (in part) to disprove something.</spoiler>

It's about the burden of proof, not assumptions.

Any time you make a claim (steam player count is irrelevant) you must SUPPORT this claim with evidence. And so far everyone failed to do so. THAT is what I'm talking about, and not a reductio ad absurdum!
i use a secret account because i am a politician that doesnt want the NSA to know i play poe.
"
"
"
If we're going full science mode, the onus is on you to prove that steam data is not accurate, not the other way around.

Do you think everyone uses steam? Do you think even half of players use steam? Do you think players who play via steam behave similar or differently to players who use the stand alone client?

These questions need to be answered and proven before steam charts can be used for anything other than stating that "the player base that is using steam to access PoE is deceasing."

It's about trends. If the player numbers are dropping on steam, one MUST assume that they are also dropping on the main client, unless proven otherwise.

Poe is (slowly) dying, deal with it. I realize that all games die eventually, but I had expected that PoE would live long and in good circumstances. That is all I hoped for. I am worried, that's why I made the topic.

There is no proof that poe us "dying" There is no reason to assume that steam players behave the same as players who use the client.

Why don't you and others who make these types of threads wait until the start of the new leagues to actually compare to the previous numbers?
Creator of the Praxis ring.
Want to stop power creep? Gut crit chance and crit multi.
My point was that as soon as someone says something like "you MUST assume" outside of a very narrow context (reductio ad absurdum and other technical fields) your credibility is shot. Just as necessity is the mother of invention, assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. Assumptions are dangerous things because they are so tempting, they provide the illusion of proof for faulty ideas and logic when none need necessarily exist.

Personally when I see someone saying something like that, I switch off my brain and it is up to that person to say something logical and insightful to make me take them seriously at all again. As I see it, you are trying to foist the burden of proof on other people by using an assumption, a tenuous thing at best, as your own burden of proof or an excuse to sidestep the need for proof. Very faulty logic imo.

My post was an, admittedly very subtle, attempt to point this out to you.

Whoosh?
Last edited by f4sak3n on Jul 15, 2014, 5:03:21 AM
"
f4sak3n wrote:
My point was that as soon as someone says something like "you MUST assume" outside of a very narrow context (reductio ad absurdum and other technical fields) your credibility is shot. Just as necessity is the mother of invention, assumption is the mother of all fuck-ups. Assumptions are dangerous things because they are so tempting, they provide the illusion of proof for faulty ideas and logic when none need necessarily exist.

Personally when I see someone saying something like that, I switch off my brain and it is up to that person to say something logical and insightful to make me take them seriously at all again. As I see it, you are trying to foist the burden of proof on other people by using an assumption, a tenuous thing at best, as your own burden of proof or an excuse to sidestep the need for proof. Very faulty logic imo.

My post was an, admittedly very subtle, attempt to point this out to you.

Whoosh?

Edit: added clarifications regarding which parts of my post are my opinion

I'm not sure who you were addressing with your previous post, or with this one, but I wanted to say that I understood what you were talking about, just not to whom you were talking. Assumptions are not always bad. They can be very bad if used the wrong way, but they are useful if used in the right way.

In the context of this topic, it is safe to assume that the entire player base behaves similarly (and without regard to whether or not they use Steam). Just for argument's sake, I would like a logical/rational reason to believe that Steam users DO behave differently. Nobody has even attempted to provide one, and I suspect it's because there isn't one. More likely, it's a feeble tactic by people who refuse to believe the data to try to divide people into separate camps (a sort of sloppy false choice dilemma regarding Steam use) that has nothing to do with the actual data. They would probably try a different version of the same argument if the data came from some other third party source because (supposedly) "only GGG know the real numbers." I find that claim to be dubious at best, and flat out incorrect at worst.
People need to remind themself of the time of the year.. many are kid and are having eventually vacation with their parent or something like that. So it make potentially less player.
To me it has been proven already the very low retention this game has ...

I joined a guild that now I own completely, because the Leader left XD

The guild has 80 free player slots because everyone quit the game on a period 2 months since I came in.

It seems to be with hitting a wall when you are on your 85+ level. To upgrade your gear you are forced to insanely trade and grind, the lack of content of the game makes it boring really fast, and the lack of possibility of crafting your own gear is ridiculous.

On guilds, funding map pools is really difficult because the only way of sustaining such big map pool is making public parties hybrid a.k.a 50% public / 50% guild. So many of the guildies facing such difficulties and watching themselves having to work to have fun plus having to play public sometimes, makes them quit the game.

I am also hitting this wall now, I have nothing else to do on the game. I would like to craft but it´s impossible if you don´t RMT or bot, and I won´t waste my precious time dealing with botting.

The other wall you hit when you go past level 90 is that desync is around the corner waiting for you to catch you offguard anytime, and when you die a couple times at level 94 by that shit, it´s really discouraging to keep leveling. ( At level 94, one 78 map gives you 1% XP on a full party, when you die you lose 10%, so you need to play 10 more maps to recover that )

I said already that depending on what GGG throws in the expansion, I will decide if I stay or if I quit. But it must fucking rock at this point, really. Like tons of fixes, improvements and content. Otherwise it will be just better to quit and come back in 4 years to find a lot of new stuff at once :D ( if the ship didn´t sink already ) But hey, they got my MTX money already. I did my part.

Last edited by chromafunk on Jul 15, 2014, 12:44:37 PM
The fact that people try to deny that the game is steadily losing players is really amusing.
"
"
f4sak3n wrote:
The only time you MUST assume anything is when using a technique called reductio ad absurdum. Otherwise assumptions are optional, you do it only when you can get away with it.

Heres a spoiler: <spoiler>it's a technique used (in part) to disprove something.</spoiler>

It's about the burden of proof, not assumptions.

Any time you make a claim (steam player count is irrelevant) you must SUPPORT this claim with evidence. And so far everyone failed to do so. THAT is what I'm talking about, and not a reductio ad absurdum!

Nope lol. Most forums and including this forum work by people making statements without providing proof.

Spoiler
Did you see how I did the very same thing in this post? I made a claim and provided no proof :)
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
chromafunk wrote:

It seems to be with hitting a wall when you are on your 85+ level. To upgrade your gear you are forced to insanely trade and grind, the lack of content of the game makes it boring really fast, and the lack of possibility of crafting your own gear is ridiculous.

It's what a hack'n slash game is, grinding and trading insanely.

---

As for the crafting there's possibility of doing some but the amount of farm/selling stuff/farm.. is absolutely insane to do it and improve the stuff.

I look at streamer like helmann from time to time and the sheer amount of this grinding/trading cycle to do so few craft is just something crazy.. i don't have this amount of time to begin with neither the patience to do it.

I accept it and i play as the casual gamer i am. I won't ever get the best stuff.. like when i was playing Diablo 2.. never had the best runeword or other things like that. But in the end i enjoyed my time.

---

The thing that make me play less actually have more to do with the fact that most if not all the skill point have to go in survival node in the 60 first level.. the tree give us the freedom to go wherever we want but the game itself make it hard to go for anything else other than life/es/res/armour and i find it kind of boring since the character equipment have to go that way too.
"
rarylith wrote:

The thing that make me play less actually have more to do with the fact that most if not all the skill point have to go in survival node in the 60 first level.. the tree give us the freedom to go wherever we want but the game itself make it hard to go for anything else other than life/es/res/armour and i find it kind of boring since the character equipment have to go that way too.

This is an interesting point. I don't know if there are other threads on this subject (I would assume there are, but can't be assed to go look), but I would like to know what GGG thinks of this or intends to do about it (if anything).

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info