Spiritdweller and Inconsoulable: A death race poll for the 1 month hardcore league

Itamz!

I (finally) learned how to link items in a forum post.

Inconsoulable (Witch)...

Spiritdweller (Templar) ...

Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jul 24, 2014, 11:09:19 AM
The death poll ended. Spiritdweller perished to Cruel Dominus at level 57, with Dominus having about 5% of his hit points remaining in his second phase. I made a few errors with flasks and town portals, which ended with Spiritdweller not surviving.

The first and key mistake was trying to do the battle under real-life time pressure, shortly before a guest was due to arrive at our home. Being distracted set the stage for forgetting to drink the staunching flask at the right time, fumbling to get a town portal up, and missing when trying to hit a "panicked" life potion.

This was only my second effort at Cruel Dominus. The first one was also another summoner who was quite under-geared and that battle didn't make it to the second phase before a lot of minions blew up in quick succession next to my summoner, while he was cursed.

I'll make a separate post asking for how to handle cruel dominus with a self-found summoner, particularly as dual totem (as Spiritdweller was).

Thanks to all those who participated. The winner is Chundadragon, who picked the right summoner to die first and who was also closest to the actual level at which he died.

The best orbs these two summoners found were as follows:

... and Chundradragon is free to pick whatever five (s)he likes from these.
Now that prestige classes will finally leave lab in 4.0, will GGG get it right this time or will they find new ways to repeat old mistakes?
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jul 27, 2014, 1:49:50 PM
doh! its over.
Last edited by simballine on Jul 27, 2014, 3:23:32 PM
As a postscript, and partly out of annoyance at having come so close to defeating Dominus with what was, in hindsight, not a very good battle plan (or execution), I ran him with my other summoner in this death race (Inconsoulable). She had a couple of "must drink life flask now" moments when fighting Dominus in his first phase. But, she went quite smoothly through all phases, overall, and now she's in Merciless difficulty.

Perma temporal chains helped quite a bit throughout. Another key seemed to be keeping Vaal skeletons in reserve for the "kill or be killed" last phase of the Dominus fight. They kept aggro off Inconsoulable long enough for her to chew away most of his life pool with self-cast spirits.

I know many players are used to flying through to maps. But, this was my first character to make it to Merciless difficulty and I'm pretty happy with that. :)

Now I need to push her resists up, which is the next priority.
Last edited by EnjoyTheJourney on Jul 27, 2014, 5:15:38 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info