Leveling gemsthe fastest?

As others have said, the key to leveling gems quickly is the 'raw' XP you get per hour of gameplay.

AFAIK the amount of XP you get per monster you scales proportionally with map level. But as you get higher in the map tier, maintaining your map pool becomes a bigger and bigger consideration since the maps themselves are expensive and hard to get. So you have to do harder mods on the maps to try to address this; and thus, typically the clear speed on a high level map will be lower than a mid level map.

Also, exceptions to this are Apex of Sacrifice, Alluring Abyss, and the unique maps - particularly Poorjoy's Asylum (which has an XP bonus as a mod) and Coward's Trial (which has insane mob density.) The former two benefit from high mob density of all Champion or Rare monsters. Leaving Alluring Abyss out since the cost of entry is prohibitive to use for gem leveling, Apex and Poorjoy's are very good since they often drop enough loot to sustain the cost of running them, on average if you trade away any of the good stuff you find. However you need very high DPS for these maps to be practical since the monsters have a lot of HP.
Higher maps don't actually offer much higher XP, they just have less of an XP penalty(for leveling your character). Often a 66 map can exceed the XP of a 72 map depending on enemy density and map type. It's also the reason to save your higher maps till low maps give an XP penalty. It's pretty much pointless to run a 78 map at 78.

These are the fastest ways to level a gem in this order:

- Poorjoy's asylum
- Apex of sacrifice
- Vaal cycloning huge open maps like shore,coward's trial, dunes and even docks works. Can cyclone 50+ enemies at once.

It of course depends on your clearspeed. Some builds can run low maps in 4 minutes which is something I often did when I wanted 21 anger/wrath(leveling multiple wraths and anger in weapon switch).
Last edited by kasub on Jul 11, 2014, 1:58:51 PM
"
kasub wrote:
Higher maps don't actually offer much higher XP, they just have less of an XP penalty.

Gems do not suffer from xp penalty at all.

Everything else you said was on point though.
"
whoismiked wrote:
"
kasub wrote:
Higher maps don't actually offer much higher XP, they just have less of an XP penalty.

Gems do not suffer from xp penalty at all.

Everything else you said was on point though.

That was kind of my point. Running the densest and easiest maps is ideal because higher ones don't offer much higher XP. My XP penalty part was directed at normal XP gain to level your character.

Edited that in brackets to clarify.
Last edited by kasub on Jul 11, 2014, 2:00:16 PM
Ppl have given contradicting asnwers.

Howa bout this Im level 98 (turning 99 soon @ 88%). Basically I could clear 78s fast (rot). Is that better than running low level maps since I could already clear it fast anyways.
Apex is better than 78s, I also assume for all your clearspeed more linear maps like strand/plateau are better to level gems.

If you can clear 78s just as fast then go for that though. You'll level your character faster.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info