Linking lottery madness. People really participate in these?

"
iamstryker wrote:
"
mazul wrote:


If you don't have a 6 socket proper base, then just 6-socketing take on average like 300 jewellers if I remember correctly. That's 75 fusings. That's a hell of an investment compared to spending 3 fusings in a lottery.


In my experience getting a 6 socket is a lot less, but really it doesn't matter because I'm sure you could just trade for one already 6 socketed and it wouldn't be that much of an investment. Still very worth it if you get the 6L and now you have about 30ex versus the 10-20 that many of these lotteries appear to be paying out.


Sure, but if you only want to spend 3 fusings gambling, you can't really go the 6 socket route.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
"
Completed 1 ChallengeZilla wrote:


Does that answer your question?


Even though my thread was made more for standard league than the temporary ones I still really don't see why you would participate. Maybe in the temporary leagues getting one decent 6 socket is more difficult than I am thinking but regardless of how much it costs IMO its worth it if you want to gamble. You don't have to deal with scams and you get the FULL value of the 6L if you hit it.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 81 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
"
mazul wrote:


Sure, but if you only want to spend 3 fusings gambling, you can't really go the 6 socket route.


If someone wants to do this then I guess there is nothing I can say to change their mind. If you look at it in a pure risk versus reward situation I can't ever say that its a good idea. Your more likely to do well linking it yourself than trusting some third party to hand over many exalts to you, stream or no stream.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 81 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
"
Completed 1 ChallengeZilla wrote:
All you people do is build strawman arguments...


What strawman argument? I have good reasons to believe that this is a horrible idea. I honestly want responses to them.

"

those people are somehow rich enough to buy a 6L item or have enough fusings to do it themselves and are simultaneousely too poor to afford them so they have a reason to burn their money on lotteries...


No No. When did I ever say that they have plenty of fusings to statistically get a 6L themselves? What most people have said in this thread is that someone will have a few extra fusings to burn and throw them at a lottery. My question is why not throw them on your own gear? Its safer and potentially more rewarding.

"

Gambling can be fun and if you do NOT have the currency to buy or craft anything good it is not a bad move necessarily because if i have no good item to even TRY to 6L it i have a 0% chance of getting something good out of my 3 fusings but if i go to a lottery i have a 3 out of whatever it is chance of making profit.


If your going to gamble for a 6L then I would say its worth a small investment to get a decent 6 socket base yourself. There are lots and lots of items that are very cheap bases but are still worth over 30ex if they are 6Led. Your 3 fusings have the same chance to produce a 6L in a lottery or on your own gear.

"
Ofcourse you also gamble when applying the orbs on stuff yourself but on what? The windripper that i don't have? Oh but i guess i could hoard it so when i finally get my windripper in approximately... (made around 10ex in 1000 hours i guess double it to make sure i'm not wrong)
Oh it's only 4000+ more hours for me then!


This is my point, you don't need a windripper. Have you noticed the people doing these lotteries are doing them on things like lightning coil and Dying breath?

"
you have NO grasp at all what people do make in currency per hour.


Your very very wrong here. I've been playing for thousands of hours since closed beta....and i'm STILL not super rich. I know what its like to be playing slowly and not making much currency. Heck i'm saving right now to afford one decent unique that I may want. I've just stuck to standard for so long I have all of the basics so I don't have to burn a lot of currency buying the same stuff over and over again.

"

And maybe you never will because when people give you reasons you don't understand the reasons it seems. Or maybe you ignore them i can't tell.


I have responded to just about every serious response in this thread. What have I ignored or not understood?
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 81 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
Last edited by iamstryker on July 9, 2014 3:07 PM
@iamstryker

It seems i have misunderstood a good chunk of you anwers but since you explained to me what EXACTLY you meant with all your statements now i can understand your stance on the matter better. Also i wasn't only talking about you in my post thats why i sayed "the people here".

I had the feeling you did not read all of the posts since there were a few who tried to explain at least one astpect of why they gamble in lotteries and i didn't see you really asking followup questions that much.

"
archiadus wrote:
The idea would be that you could potentially gain 10 ex from that 1 lucky fusing that you give to them, this is what attracts most of the new players as they generally don´t have a lot of currency yet.


"
Completed 1 ChallengeGooberM wrote:
Buying a Lightning Coil, 6 socketing and 6 linking it takes currency.


"
Completed 4 ChallengesHodari wrote:
I hear this same argument all the time about real life lotteries and honestly, I think it's a really stupid one. Most people participating in a lottery will know perfectly well that on average, they will lose by participating in it. Some of them may well be perfectly capable of calculating the exact odds as well. Being "bad at math" has nothing to do with it.


and so on...
I know there were some responses wich explained some parts of what they thaught you meant like

"
Completed 2 ChallengesXavderion wrote:

This is different to RL lotteries though. What OP says is that by participating in a linking lottery, you gimp yourself by playing the worse of two lotteries, the second lottery being you just trying to link your own stuff. It's always better to waste your fusings on your own gear than to participate in a linking lottery.


The strawman arguments where things like:

"
Completed 1 ChallengePerq wrote:
Lotteries bunch up poor and naive people, who want to get something quick and painless. Just like real like lotteries.


"
Didros wrote:
I want to comment on this. You said that some "lucky" guy got 20ex. But that same guy probably has a 6 socket sitting in his stash and if he had put his lucky fusings into it instead of the lottery he would have "won" a lot more back than 20ex.


wich you did not write yourself but i already sayed that was why i sayed "you people"
since you never really clearified you stance until now i misinterpreted it and assumed you would be completeley ok with the strawmen the others created and i am sorry for that.

Now to clearify my stance a bit more: I personnally don't tend to gamble wethere in games nor in RL so I would only participate in these lotteries at the beginning of a new league at the point when i have my new character freshly reaching 60 or something.
At this point i have almost nothing since i spent almost all fusings and jewellers on getting 4L stuff for my head and whatnot.
It is incredibly unlikely that i have a good unique found by myself right now nor a good base for a potential endgame yellow or anything. I also don't want to trade at that point since i will more fthen then not, not even be able to buy three dragons now.

Since somehow some insane people already have 10-20ex to give away for their lottery and i don't even have things worth 2 (at least not things i want to get rid of) i might give it a try.
And yes if i keep those 3 fusings and wait until you DO have anything worthwhile to do this it is more likeley to give you a bigger reward, but if i risk it now and win i have such a huge boost since i can have all the crappy uniques i want wich cost 4ex or less.

I understand my low chances for this happening, wich is even lower since some people scam you by not paying at all even if the 6L happens, but it still is something. At least if you see them stream you have high chances of the guy not scaming you (since it is not scam if you get the promised reward even if it is a crappy one, it's just a bad deal in the grand sceam of things)

Others might feel they are more unlucky when doing it themselve so they give others some of their chances of a 6L for "makeing a profit since the other guy clearly has more luck"

There could be other reasons that haven't even been written yet (i can only give you mine)
but in the end no matter the reason it will always be "just a worse deal you make anyway" because it is ALWAYS for personal reasons you do that. So sadly all you can hope to get is a list of personal reasons or likeley reasons since at the core you are right statistically it is a way worse gamble and most people know that.

So all in all it is just because of differend tastes, just because you don't like the bitter taste of only getting 10ex for your even slimmer than usual chance of success doesn't mean nobody else does.
Last edited by Zilla on July 9, 2014 5:41 PM
OP is bonkers...

Real Lotto is not safer than a few fusings wasted.
Almost none of those scammers, especially Streamers, scam other players.
One scammer doesn't mean the 100 other honest guys out there are hurting.
Its fun, excited, everyone wins. Fusing are worth what... 1/2 a chaos? Everyone can get a fusing. Not everyone can get Exalteds. You keep saying that anyone can save up and do this on their own, that is not true, some players are way more casual you think they are. Not everyone has as much time to grind.
Twitch/Twitter/Facebook/IG/Snapchat: Stoutarm

Guild: JESUSWEPT(HEWEPT)
"
Completed 4 ChallengesStoutarm wrote:


Real Lotto is not safer than a few fusings wasted.
Almost none of those scammers, especially Streamers, scam other players.
One scammer doesn't mean the 100 other honest guys out there are hurting.


Real Lottos are legally obligated to pay out, Even someone who is streaming has nothing like that so I stand behind my belief on that point. I'm not going to throw around numbers because I don't have any access to how many fusing lottos have been out and how many have been scams, so unless you have some kind of concrete proof to back up your numbers then your just making stuff up like I would be. I seriously doubt that only one out of every 100 lotteries in this game is completely legit, but people can believe what they want.

"
Its fun, excited, everyone wins. Fusing are worth what... 1/2 a chaos? Everyone can get a fusing. Not everyone can get Exalteds. You keep saying that anyone can save up and do this on their own, that is not true, some players are way more casual you think they are. Not everyone has as much time to grind.


Uh, what I said was that anyone can save up a few days of currency and buy a good 6 socket base to try to fuse themselves. Also my OP was written in regards to Standard where 6 sockets should be even easier to obtain. I do agree with some other posters that some people want some instant gratification instead of putting a little thought into it and doing it themselves.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 81 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
never done a lottery even though i stream

now that i read this post i really want to do lotteries
"
Completed 1 ChallengeZilla wrote:


There could be other reasons that haven't even been written yet (i can only give you mine)
but in the end no matter the reason it will always be "just a worse deal you make anyway" because it is ALWAYS for personal reasons you do that. So sadly all you can hope to get is a list of personal reasons or likeley reasons since at the core you are right statistically it is a way worse gamble and most people know that.


Hello, I am going to send you a PM to discuss this a little further since you appear to have a lot to say on the subject.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 81 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
I was probably the guy OP mentioned because 1 week ago that's all I had (10exa) and now I've raised the prize to 17exa which is again all I have and will probably raise it again. Anyway I don't see what's the big deal.
What you say is that it's better to buy a coil yourself and 6L it for profit? And what if you reach a few thousand fusings without doing it? It's simple as that, you either gamble to lose thousands of fusings and maybe get nothing out of it or give a stack of fusings and if you're lucky win 15-20exa and if not you didn't lose much.
It's the same in every thread... if you're really stupid you will throw 500fusings at the guy holding the lottery, if you're not you will gamble with just a few and if you 6L the item its a win-win situation.
On a separate note I personally aim for every single achievement on the games I play so for the most part it's the "6L an item yourself" that I'm looking at that you can't expect a player to do by grinding fusings on his own so blame GGG for adding such a terrible RNG achievement and for making 6L so terribly unbalanced.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info