Linking lottery madness. People really participate in these?

"
iamstryker wrote:
Its not the same at all which I have clearly highlighted in this thread.
I don't think you've remotely highlighted that.

I think you made a thread and asked a question without actually being interested in the answer. All you've done is shot down everything and repeated the same empty responses over and over. You've ignored valid points, made ridiculous assumptions, and contradicted yourself.

If all you're going to do is ignore the answer, don't bother asking the question and wasting peoples time.
"
Magnicon wrote:
I don't think you've remotely highlighted that.


Well I have given clear reasons why its a bad idea and in a players best interest to not participate in them. If you disagree then explain how I am wrong or why you think its a good idea to participate in them. I have responded to everything you have said so far.

"
Magnicon wrote:

I think you made a thread and asked a question without actually being interested in the answer.


The question in the thread title is do people really participate in these which is really just a rhetorical question. I know some people participate and I still have no idea why accept they don't yet realize how bad an idea it is. One guy in this thread did it just to try to help the other guy out, beyond that I see little reason why anyone would want to partcipate.

"
All you've done is shot down everything and repeated the same empty responses over and over. You've ignored valid points, made ridiculous assumptions, and contradicted yourself.


Your going to have to quote what your talking about. When did I ignore a valid point? What ridiculous assumption? What contradiction? How can I respond to this if I don't know what your talking about? What I did was respond to people and then wait for a response back, so far no one has really responded to my critiques or critiques of their initial response.

"
If all you're going to do is ignore the answer, don't bother asking the question and wasting peoples time.


Ignore what answer?? I'm still waiting on one.

I responded to everything that you posted previously and you just ignored my responses and went on a short rant saying that I didn't prove anything and then accused me of a bunch of stuff. A back and forth discussion isn't going to work if you don't respond to my posts themselves.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 86 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
Last edited by iamstryker on July 8, 2014 8:28 PM
Just saw another one advertising a linking lottery for his Dying Breath staff. Whats the pay out? 17ex.....

What line of thinking would someone have to participate in that? What rationalization is there in trusting a stranger for a prize that's far less than you could get on your own?

Remember this is in Standard....
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 86 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist
Last edited by iamstryker on July 9, 2014 3:18 AM
The real answer to whether it is profitable to participate a lottery depends on what the payout is.

If they are paying out slightly more than it costs to fuse the item yourself (more than 22 exalts if 1100 fusings and 50 fuse per exalt is correct) then playing would be profitable long term.

Real life lotteries are occasionally profitable to play also.
Last edited by oamto on July 9, 2014 5:22 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
mazul wrote:
"
iamstryker wrote:
(...)
But that same guy probably has a 6 socket sitting in his stash


It isn't enough that he has a 6 socket sitting in his stash, it has to be of a good base too so that 6-linking it gives 20 exa in reward if he were to sell it.

Having a such 6 socket base sitting in stash is unlikely for lottery participators.


I think its fairly likely that a player has a carcass jack, lightning coil, cloak of defiance or something like that in their stash. If it isn't already 6 socketed then they can do that themselves. Or screw it they can just get on xyz and buy one and ANYONE can afford to do that, they aren't expensive. In my example a 6Led lightning coil sells for over 30ex. Thats a lot more profit than any lottery that I have seen, using gear like that.


If you don't have a 6 socket proper base, then just 6-socketing take on average like 300 jewellers if I remember correctly. That's 75 fusings. That's a hell of an investment compared to spending 3 fusings in a lottery.
This message was delivered by GGG defence force.
Last edited by mazul on July 9, 2014 5:34 AM
Since i am one of those very few people who are very poor but read the forum i will hopefully answer the question in a way that makes you understand why people participate in lotteries.

First, be prepared you might not be able to grasp this at first but:
The most pure exalteds i ever had at the same time was 2.
The most combined worth i ever had at the same time was around 5 exalted.
It took me halve of the league to get 2 items with 6 sockets where 5 of those sockets where linked.

Second:

Since i haven't played that much before the game got on steam it is somewhat accurate when i say i have played 1063 hours atm.
I never just copy builds but sometimes i get inspiration from the forum and such.
I am not to stupid to make decent builds and i mostly play very squishy characters and it works without dying all the time even with my CoC on reflect maps.
I will probably never kill Atzirti but i'm ok with that.

(I only gave you this information so you know that i grasp the game enough to have a somewhat valid opinion)

So:
I see someone holding a lottery and i can win 10-20 exalts wich is double or quadrouple of what i ever hat ever, potentioally for some fusings from wich i have maybe 30 if i didn't need that many for some time, so i decide to give it a try and give 1 or maybe 3 fusings because IF i win i will be richer then i ever was and if not 3 fusings is not that bad even for me.

Does that answer your question?
"
iamstryker wrote:
Just saw another one advertising a linking lottery for his Dying Breath staff. Whats the pay out? 17ex.....

What line of thinking would someone have to participate in that? What rationalization is there in trusting a stranger for a prize that's far less than you could get on your own?

Remember this is in Standard....


You never met anyone who participated in a lottery (a real world one) or someone who was part of a pyramid scheme, right? people are gullible and dumb and see the riches without thinking about the prices they pay.

Its like the people who get called at home with offers ranging from a mixer to a Ferrari you can win anything, just give them a few bucks and you got a chance to win. Dont expect a Ferrari in your garage though.
“Disintegration - I'm taking it in stride.”
I do not play lotteries in RL but the concept is understandable for me... as long as you play responsible and don't blast everything you have into it it's ok to do so.
Why don't you understand that? I don't care if someone makes cheap money with that.

Most people will give what is little worth for them INDIVIDUALLY and try it. All you people do is build strawman arguments...
If i gather the information given by you people you practically sayed:
There are dumb, irresponsible, greedy people who always blast all of their currency on those lotteries because they don't know any better (now comes the hillarious part), those people are somehow rich enough to buy a 6L item or have enough fusings to do it themselves and are simultaneousely too poor to afford them so they have a reason to burn their money on lotteries...

Gambling can be fun and if you do NOT have the currency to buy or craft anything good it is not a bad move necessarily because if i have no good item to even TRY to 6L it i have a 0% chance of getting something good out of my 3 fusings but if i go to a lottery i have a 3 out of whatever it is chance of making profit.

Ofcourse you also gamble when applying the orbs on stuff yourself but on what? The windripper that i don't have? Oh but i guess i could hoard it so when i finally get my windripper in approximately... (made around 10ex in 1000 hours i guess double it to make sure i'm not wrong)
Oh it's only 4000+ more hours for me then!

Just please understand that those people will never have the currency for those things and even if you get less then the 6L item is worth you get more then what you indiviually
gave if you should win.

Seriousley not everyone plays nearly as effective as you people seem to do... you have NO grasp at all what people do make in currency per hour. You might make enough to afford stuff and you might even be really far away from what other people make, but you are still so far above the people that you call greedy and dumb and whatever that you lost sight of them long ago.
So you choose to judge them for doing something that is not nearly as bad as you make it out to be and that doesn't even hurt you, just because you get upset by something meaningless that you don't understand.
And maybe you never will because when people give you reasons you don't understand the reasons it seems. Or maybe you ignore them i can't tell.
I think it comes down to the whole delayed-gratification vs instant-gratification vibe. People would rather gamble on winning x exalts now than waiting a few days to buy a 6S and gambling on winning 2x exalts then. Yes, if you 6S the item yourself it will end up costing a lot more and be an obstacle to participating in your own, personal "lottery" but buying a 6S item doesn't typically cost much more than buying a 1-5S item. So the difficulty comes in waiting for one to come up for sale. But honestly, with the minute difference of successfully 6 linking an item waiting a few days or even a few weeks does not make much of a difference to your EV (expected value) of return. Hence the delayed vs instant thing.
Last edited by f4sak3n on July 9, 2014 10:41 AM
"
mazul wrote:


If you don't have a 6 socket proper base, then just 6-socketing take on average like 300 jewellers if I remember correctly. That's 75 fusings. That's a hell of an investment compared to spending 3 fusings in a lottery.


In my experience getting a 6 socket is a lot less, but really it doesn't matter because I'm sure you could just trade for one already 6 socketed and it wouldn't be that much of an investment. Still very worth it if you get the 6L and now you have about 30ex versus the 10-20 that many of these lotteries appear to be paying out.
iamstryker- 83 Witch--------------IamDeadly- 78 Shadow
IamFoeHammer- 83 Templar-----IamScorned- 86 Witch
IAMFIREWALKER- 80 Witch-------TheOneScorned 75 Scion
IAMJuggernaut- 77 Duelist-------IamARCangel 62 witch
IamSPARTACUSx- 90 Mara--------IamEntropy 85 Duelist

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info