Linking lottery madness. People really participate in these?

So this is something that I have wondered for a long time but never really brought up on the forums. I have seen linking lotteries in trade chat over and over and over again wanting people to give them fusings and if such and such unique or item is 6Led they will give you a lottery of exalts. A good example of the issue I have with this is the one I saw today. A guy wanted people to 6L his lightning coil and his pay out would be 10ex. My question is why on earth would ANYONE want to participate in a lottery like this guys?

A No linked lightning coil is very cheap. It would make FAR more sense for anyone to just get a lightning coil, 6 socket it (or just find a cheap 6 socket lightning coil so you don't have to do this step yourself) and then proceed to try to 6L it yourself. You then don't have to trust any outside player (which is a very bad idea) and if you get the 6L its worth far more than 10ex. The cheapest buyout that I saw on xyz was 32ex.

The example above is typical. I see these all the time and much of the time the lotteries are for cheap no linked items and the pay out is at least half as much as the linked item would be worth. Do people really do these? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The above post was made with standard league in mind, I don't know how much this stuff happens in the other leagues, thank you.


For those of you who like to spead read and aren't comprehending the point here. I am asking why people PARTICIPATE in these lotteries. I understand completely why people hold them. It benefits them greatly.
Tilt
Last edited by iamstryker on July 8, 2014 3:43 PM
The idea would be that you could potentially gain 10 ex from that 1 lucky fusing that you give to them, this is what attracts most of the new players as they generally don´t have a lot of currency yet.

The sad part is that most of the time you´ll get scammed if you participate in the lottery, either they just won´t pay you or they´ll have an identical 6 socket item in their inventory that they link back to you to show you that your fusing orb failed.

In my personal opinion I feel that they should make a rule against the whole lottery thing as it´s way too easy to abuse it for personal profit.
I don't think you get it :)
The person running the lotto is not going to give you the unique, you are giving him the fusings so you have to be the one that trusts someone that he will give you the payout if your fusing hits the jackpot. That's often not the case so people are usually not participating in such lotteries.
I've been trying to run 1 myself, I've been called a scammer twice, without anyone entering the lotto so I just bought what I needed for a bit more but without this madness.

E: Also I know that the minimal payout on standard for this should be 20ex, 10ex is low payout.
IGN: KujarOnFlames - Level 93 (standard)
IGN: KujarIsBack - Level 90 (standard)
IGN: RampageKujar - Level 84 (Rampage)
Last edited by Kujar3 on July 8, 2014 12:21 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
So this is something that I have wondered for a long time but never really brought up on the forums. I have seen linking lotteries in trade chat over and over and over again wanting people to give them fusings and if such and such unique or item is 6Led they will give you a lottery of exalts. A good example of the issue I have with this is the one I saw today. A guy wanted people to 6L his lightning coil and his pay out would be 10ex. My question is why on earth would ANYONE want to do this?

A No linked lightning coil is very cheap. It would make FAR more sense for anyone to just get a lightning coil, 6 socket it (or just find a cheap 6 socket lightning coil so you don't have to do this step yourself) and then proceed to try to 6L it yourself. You then don't have to trust any outside player (which is a very bad idea) and if you get the 6L its worth far more than 10ex. The cheapest buyout that I saw on xyz was 32ex.

The example above is typical. I see these all the time and much of the time the lotteries are for cheap no linked items and the pay out is at least half as much as the linked item would be worth. Do people really do these? Makes no sense whatsoever.

The above post was made with standard league in mind, I don't know how much this stuff happens in the other leagues, thank you.


Buying a Lightning Coil, 6 socketing and 6 linking it takes currency. At the end of Ambush, an ex could get you 50 Fusings. The average number of Fusings you need for a 6L is 800, which is 16ex. Let's say 400 Jewellers for 6 sockets, which is about 2ex. A cheap Lightning Coil was 15c(?). So 18.5ex inital currency you need to be able to sell it back for 32ex. There are better items to do this with, but they require even more currency. Windripper comes to mind as a good item to 6L yourself and sell back.

You may need more or less Fusings to get a 6L too. At the beginning of Ambush, a guy did a lottery for his Voltaxic which took some 3500 fusings. He streamed the whole thing over a couple nights. He saved a ton of currency and some lucky guy got 20ex for his couple fusings. There was a big thread about it.

I've never been scammed in a lottery. I've even been given stuff for getting 5Ls
IGN: CheezusMcPwn
Last edited by GooberM on July 8, 2014 12:42 AM
maybe u talking about my thread?> http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/957225...


im not doing any lottery for my 6L items.....

i am linking it myself........


IGN:ZXGhostring
Pm me If i win the bid
"
archiadus wrote:


The sad part is that most of the time you´ll get scammed if you participate in the lottery, either they just won´t pay you or they´ll have an identical 6 socket item in their inventory that they link back to you to show you that your fusing orb failed.


This is one of the two main reasons for why people are nuts for participating in these things.

"
Completed 3 ChallengesKujar3 wrote:
I don't think you get it :)
The person running the lotto is not going to give you the unique, you are giving him the fusings so you have to be the one that trusts someone that he will give you the payout if your fusing hits the jackpot. That's often not the case so people are usually not participating in such lotteries.


I understand that perfectly. Maybe you misread my OP?
Tilt
Last edited by iamstryker on July 8, 2014 12:57 AM
"
GooberM wrote:


You may need more or less Fusings to get a 6L too. At the beginning of Ambush, a guy did a lottery for his Voltaxic which took some 3500 fusings. He streamed the whole thing over a couple nights. He saved a ton of currency and some lucky guy got 20ex for his couple fusings. There was a big thread about it.



I want to comment on this. You said that some "lucky" guy got 20ex. But that same guy probably has a 6 socket sitting in his stash and if he had put his lucky fusings into it instead of the lottery he would have "won" a lot more back than 20ex. Thats part of why I don't know why people do this stuff. The whole game is a lottery. Roll the dice yourself, you don't have to go through the head ache of trusting another player that will probably try to rip you off.
Tilt
"
GooberM wrote:

Buying a Lightning Coil, 6 socketing and 6 linking it takes currency. At the end of Ambush, an ex could get you 50 Fusings. The average number of Fusings you need for a 6L is 800, which is 16ex.


The number is closer to 1,100. Not 800. Using the ratio of 50:1 that is 22Exalted worth of fusing used. There's a long community post about it here in the forums if you search for it.


It is a scam, but it's not the person running the lottery that is scamming anyone. The participants are scamming themselves. They could throw those fusings on their own items and reap much more benefit if they get lucky with a 6L. Unless the lottery pays more than 25 Exalted (for cheap uniques) and the person doesn't have any items worth more for a 6L, which would mainly apply to new players. They may not even know that they can trade their orbs for Exalted orbs.
Last edited by SteamPoE2080 on July 8, 2014 1:21 AM
Greed. People think they can win 10 ex with 1 fusing, so they turn their brain off and participate. A lot of people are also bad at maths :D
Schrodinger's douchebag: A guy who says really offensive things and decides whether or not he was joking based upon the reaction of people around him.
Last edited by Xavderion on July 8, 2014 1:22 AM
"
iamstryker wrote:
"
GooberM wrote:


You may need more or less Fusings to get a 6L too. At the beginning of Ambush, a guy did a lottery for his Voltaxic which took some 3500 fusings. He streamed the whole thing over a couple nights. He saved a ton of currency and some lucky guy got 20ex for his couple fusings. There was a big thread about it.



I want to comment on this. You said that some "lucky" guy got 20ex. But that same guy probably has a 6 socket sitting in his stash and if he had put his lucky fusings into it instead of the lottery he would have "won" a lot more back than 20ex. Thats part of why I don't know why people do this stuff. The whole game is a lottery. Roll the dice yourself, you don't have to go through the head ache of trusting another player that will probably try to rip you off.

this X10,000,000

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info