Why is Trading so Hated?

Hello forum base of Path of Exile, I have a question that will most definitely lead to total derailment, flaming, trolling and utter rage. I am not expecting this thread to last long. But, perhaps there will be a chance that someone, somewhere can answer my question in a sensible fashion. My hopes are high.

The question is in the title. Why on earth does it seem that trading is so hated? Time and tiem again I see forum posts complaining about trading gated content, rallies for self found leagues and vehement hatred for the trading system as a whole.

Now I'm not some trading elitest. I own no more than 10 exalts of stuff, mostly from chaos recipe and the occasional drop (Maligaro's virtuosity and a couple exalts were my notables these leagues.) My achievements are the strongbox, corrupt area and vendor recipe ones, so not much to speak of there either. But I just love the trading aspect! I don't flip or market abuse because that's not my forte, but the trading concept as a whole is something I love. I trade for basic stuff: decent weapons, bi res gear, key uniques (bought a 5l WoE recently, for example), etc.

Aside from my love of the trading system, why do so many other hate it? is it because they just wish it was self found? Are the jealous of the rich? Did they get a bad trade and are no bitte about it? I honestly don;t know the answer here.
People don't hate trading.

People hate that the game is designed around trading being the most efficient way to bypass content (read as = gear checks) thus eliminating part of what is considered a part of a "hardcore arpg experience".

Simply put, because of trading, content is rendered useless as a result.

It has nothing to do with trading, it has to do with everything else being designed in favor of trading.

peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Because its more efficient than actually playing the game.
IGN: Arlianth
Check out my LA build: 1782214
People play with different rule sets. Trading as a rule set makes finding particular items practical. Playing without trading means you have to play with what you find. Different games entirely.

If I traded, I wouldn't be playing nearly as long as I have been. I would have quit once I got to the point where I could have pretty much anything I wanted. Thing with me is... I found out long ago... it's far more fun to want something than it is to have it.
Because it tries to replace aRPG-ing.
When night falls
She cloaks the world
In impenetrable darkness
"
Nephalim wrote:

So fucking true I fucking hate it despite I'm like a fucking king of doing this shit since I've been doing it for so long.
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
No one hates trading!

A lot of people hate to trade, but that does not mean that they hate trading.

The problem is trading being mandatory for success. A lot of people feels that in a game like PoE, which is centered around items, looting and grinding - the grinding should be done to find items - not currency to hit the AH/xyz/forums.

And when they produce arguments like:

- You CAN play self found *
- Self found people just want everything handed to them **

...They just show that they have NO IDEA what they are talking about!

*) You CAN, but when trading is so heavy as it is, drop rates are centered around it. Introducing an AH will double the amounts of tradeds, and the drop rates needs to be adjusted.

**) Self found will ALWAYS be harder than to trade, even if no AH is introduced. And even if they doubled the drop rates of orbs.

There you go. End of thread!
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
I like trading.

It's my shortcut to the next level of content. I dont have forever to farm for what ever I need. So instead, I can sell what good I find but dont need, for what I need but dont find.

Different folks different strokes! People can just choose not to trade. Problem solved.
"
kussekurt wrote:
People can just choose not to trade. Problem solved.

Like I said two posts up, no idea what they're talking about...
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
"
Nephalim wrote:

So fucking true I fucking hate it despite I'm like a fucking king of doing this shit since I've been doing it for so long.

This isnt it.

If trading exists it will trump playing, 100% of the time.

People just want options.

If people werent absolutely forced to trade to acquire certain items, and instead it was just a "Yeah, Ill spare myself a week of farming" they wouldnt be nearly as pissed off.

The RNG in PoE is so extreme and the content so unrewarding, for the vast majority of high end items you will simply never see them drop. You could play 10000 hours and Never see something as simple as an alpha howl.

There is absolutely no direction when it comes to loot/crafting in this game. Just a total clusterfuck of chance.

Piling RNG ontop of 12 more layers of RNG only frustrates people.

We should either be able to reliably farm for certain items or reliably craft upgrades - with enough time invested in either.

Perhaps each map boss has a tendency to drop rares with a certain affix - Shrine piety drops could have a higher chance to roll spell damage, for example.

In other ARPGs there is RNG, some had tons of RNG, but the ones that allowed players to direct their effort were the best.

"just for try, for see and for know"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info