Item rarity gem use

I was about to slip an IR gem into my setup for some farming and needed to ask a question first. I picked up on a thread that if there's related fire damage involved in killing a monster the gem won't trigger. Is that correct? I currently use a Doryani's Catalyst, have Avatar of Fire on the skill tree, and use a Molten Strike/Multistrike combo to do most of my damage - so there's a LOT of fire damage! Part of the combo in the linked setup is a Concentrated Effect gem, and it was this that I was going to remove temporarily and replace with the IR gem. So will it work, or not?
If the monster is killed by damage from a skill linked with the item rarity gem, you'll get the IIR bonus. If a monster is killed from damage not associated with the linked skill, you won't. Fire damage has nothing to do with it. If you have the rarity gem linked to righteous fire and a monster dies to your righteous fire, the rarity gem applies.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
There used to be a bug where enemies killed by burning damage or other DoTs weren't effected by MF bonuses, but this was fixed a while ago.

As long as you're using the gem in the active skill that kills the enemy, it will work.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
Great, thanks for both responses. I figured if it was linked with the other gems it HAD to work, but things got muddied by the other post I read

Thanks again.
Sorry if I'm necro'ing a dead thread, but does the Item Rarity gem work when linked to a curse (ie linked to Poachers Mark)?

Example; If I cast poachers mark (linked with item rarity) over a mob, then kill cursed mob with ice shot while mob is still under the effect of the curse. Will the mob have a higher rare item drop percentage?

See item setup below:

I'd say that the curse would have to to kill the enemy. Which means that it would not work.
I could see a slim chance that it would work with the punishment curse, but I'm highly doubtful.

In stead, link it with an attack + item quantity + culling strike
Cool thanks, that makes sense. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info