I'm Out

The feeling that this game has outgrown me, and moreso really that the community has outgrown me, has reached an apex where it's affecting my enjoyment. I've never felt like I was "too old" or too much of a "boring adult" to play a video game, until now.

With each power-creeping screen-clearing skill, or OP "over-max-isn't-good-enough" boss that comes out, with each time-gated/wealth-gated/RNG-gated content and build...the game becomes much less skill-based and much more time-based.

The elitism and VIPism is the worst I've ever seen in any game community. News posts haven't even been actually GGG lately, they're about streamers, VIPs, giving us info that GGG used to give us directly (and don't get me started about reddit). I feel that "professional gamers" rather than supporters have become the focus even though one shouldn't have to dedicate oneself in such a manner to be part of a "hardcore" gaming community. I've always hated elitism, hero-worship, and giving so much credit for ultimately meaningless bullshit. Maybe that's my hangup, but I'm allowed to feel that way, like I said the game has outgrown me. From what I hear from friends and other posters, many beta players share at least some degree of my sentiments here.

When I play an online game I like to be a part of a community. Being a supporter, contributing to discussions here, helping out newer players with questions...all used to make me feel like I was a part of the PoE community, but not anymore.

I'm not entirely quitting the game though but I'll probably play a lot less and only alone, on standard. I'm definitely quitting the community. Playing at "my pace" isn't good enough for challenge leagues and time-gated content, so I guess I'm considered "casual" now. Oh well, I have better things to do. Maybe when I finish my second college degree I'll be at least as successful, relevant, and respected as someone who sits in his mom's basement and plays video games 16+ hours a day.

Have fun yall.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I see you have spoken a single word about the state of the economy in your feedback. Please incorporate your thoughts on this matter for it to be useful to the devs, refer to http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/958583 for a concise and well done feedback on the economy.
"FullyBlownDaddy"-FullBlownDaddy™
"FillBlownDaddy"-GGG
"FullBlownMommy"-Casual_Ascent
"
News posts haven't even been actually GGG lately, they're about streamers

Uh what?.. GGG just mentioned some streamers in passing previously since they do indeed help the community. No idea how this suddenly makes all GGG announcements about streamers.

You sound really bitter over nothing. Just have fun and play. Lots of the forum community is just negative and toxic so don't participate in the forums.

Last edited by Wubbietail on Jul 1, 2014, 6:17:01 AM
"
Wubbietail wrote:
"
News posts haven't even been actually GGG lately, they're about streamers

Uh what?.. GGG just mentioned some streamers in passing previously since they do indeed help the community. No idea how this suddenly makes all GGG announcements about streamers.

You sound really bitter over nothing. Just have fun and play. Lots of the forum community is just negative and toxic so don't participate in the forums.

Hes just jealous. Everyone wants the devs attention.

Thats why people bump suggestions, they want dev responses. They post stuff in GD rather than in the correct form section because they want a dev respone. People make threads starting with "@GGG..." and "GGG plz respond..." and such. Streamers put the game onto streaming sites which in return gives GGG more exposure they otherwise would have to pay for. Its good advertisement.
Psy, how can you be simultaneously out and yet in ?
Love it or leave it.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
Thread is ridiculous anyways.

Most of his complaint isn't even about the game but the forum community, most of those "community" problems he cited aren't actually visible in the actual game.

http://www.pathofexile.com/news/archive How are these news posts "mostly" not done by GGG, all bout streamers, or done by community elites?

This is a classic example of how someone can get angry at a game yet can't even give proper feedback as to why they feel that way (why the forums are filled with people bitching about things that arent even problems). Hatred is easy to identify, but explaining or understanding why you feel that way is much less accurate.
Last edited by Splift on Jul 1, 2014, 7:54:23 AM
He's not angry that much on community, but on "doesn't meet the requirements" burnout, empowered by the path this game has taken.

Not that I'm going to advocate for him, but you didn't get it at all.
This is a buff © 2016

The Experts ™ 2017
"
torturo wrote:
He's not angry that much on community, but on "doesn't meet the requirements" burnout, empowered by the path this game has taken.

Not that I'm going to advocate for him, but you didn't get it at all.
"
Psyborg wrote:

The elitism and VIPism is the worst I've ever seen in any game community. News posts haven't even been actually GGG lately, they're about streamers, VIPs, giving us info that GGG used to give us directly (and don't get me started about reddit). I feel that "professional gamers" rather than supporters have become the focus even though one shouldn't have to dedicate oneself in such a manner to be part of a "hardcore" gaming community. I've always hated elitism, hero-worship, and giving so much credit for ultimately meaningless bullshit. Maybe that's my hangup, but I'm allowed to feel that way, like I said the game has outgrown me. From what I hear from friends and other posters, many beta players share at least some degree of my sentiments here.

When I play an online game I like to be a part of a community. Being a supporter, contributing to discussions here, helping out newer players with questions...all used to make me feel like I was a part of the PoE community, but not anymore.
How is any of that not meeting the requirements? And like I said none of that is even apparent in the game. I don't see how helping newer players or answering questions has changed at all, its just a senseless post in general.
Agree with much of what you said, the elitism in particular.

Good choice, Psyborg.

Take care, birdfriend
One less nugget in my happy meal. Sad
A comprehensive, easy on the eyes loot filter:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1245785

Need a chill group exiles to hang with? Join us:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1251403

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info