Free to Play...Really?

"
Neknite wrote:
Path of Exile is unique not only as an ARPG but more as a MMO that has an ethical f2p model, and by ethical I mean that you're paying for customization/uniqueness and not power, which is hard to say about other f2p MMOs. This is also the reason I respect the developers and feel that they're deserving of every penny they make by choosing to go this path.

I really think people that keep calling this an MMO are going to be seriously disappointing themselves and other people when they realise it's an ARPG. There's nothing Massively Multiplayer about it (and that's not a bad thing).
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
Neknite wrote:
Path of Exile is unique not only as an ARPG but more as a MMO that has an ethical f2p model, and by ethical I mean that you're paying for customization/uniqueness and not power, which is hard to say about other f2p MMOs. This is also the reason I respect the developers and feel that they're deserving of every penny they make by choosing to go this path.

I really think people that keep calling this an MMO are going to be seriously disappointing themselves and other people when they realise it's an ARPG. There's nothing Massively Multiplayer about it (and that's not a bad thing).

True - not MASSIVELY multi-player. However, it's definitely multi-player, or if you don't want to play multi-player, single player.

And... this is actually a game where I will feel good about supporting the dev team by paying for some of the cash shop things. When the cash shop actually comes out it may be more difficult for the GGG team to maintain a strong presence on the forums (because you'll have hundreds of thousands of players, easily, since beta will be over) but provided they don't turn into one of those faceless corporations like EA and Activision-Blizzard (RIP Blizzard Entertainment) then I'll feel happy playing this game.

Also it's outrageously good so I'll feel happy playing it regardless.

/flexes beta access. Oh yeeaaah. I can give valuable feedback and stuff. Feels good.
IRON MAN
For everyone who cannot believe that making money via selling visuals for the game works - take a look at League of Legends. It's a VERY successful business model. If the game is good, people will play it. And as long people play the game, there will be more than enough willing to pay money just to individualize their looks. Everyone wants to be unique, especially in this kind of games.

So wait and see for yourself. It will work, i'm sure.
DMT:

Load universe into a gun.
Aim at brain.
Fire.
Last edited by Hartbrot on Sep 30, 2011, 10:35:16 PM
It's still hard to believe this game is F2P. It looks so good. I really want in the beta to help test it.
"
Dreggon wrote:
"
iamacyborg wrote:
"
Neknite wrote:

True - not MASSIVELY multi-player. However, it's definitely multi-player, or if you don't want to play multi-player, single player.

And... this is actually a game where I will feel good about supporting the dev team by paying for some of the cash shop things. When the cash shop actually comes out it may be more difficult for the GGG team to maintain a strong presence on the forums (because you'll have hundreds of thousands of players, easily, since beta will be over) but provided they don't turn into one of those faceless corporations like EA and Activision-Blizzard (RIP Blizzard Entertainment) then I'll feel happy playing this game.

Also it's outrageously good so I'll feel happy playing it regardless.

/flexes beta access. Oh yeeaaah. I can give valuable feedback and stuff. Feels good.

I know this game is instance-based and is limited to a small party in a random dungeon/map. When I said MMO I meant 100k+ playerbase (of course this is not the number inside the game but rather waiting for beta keys). I apologize for causing confusion and whatnot.
Keys!? They're non-existent! Go do something worthwhile!
developers need money to keep servers up so small fees arn;t always so bad
LoL and soon to be this game best F2P games forever
IGN: IgnitedWafflez
I find it hard to believe they wont sell double xp potions or something along those lines. Which in a way is an advantage at least in leveling.

Something along the lines of what League of Legends offers, which includes cosmetic items.

Me, along with anyone who plays that game does not seem to have a problem with this.

In fact I would welcome an xp boost item when I'm feeling the grind and wanna get up.

by how it was looking right now i totally agree with u just said. This game looks like it might last awhile.
There are some ways to make money out of a game, without players who pay for it.
I hope the quality of PoE won't suffer from this.
And when it's free to play, it's an alternative to D3. A lot of people will try this game instead of D3 just because it's f2p.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info