My First Shadow...Please help me!!! What to do?

Hello everyone this is my first post on this board.

I have been playing as the Shadow character for the past week or two trying to get familiar with the game, but I feel like I have got to mid Act 3 and my character's damage is so low and I can barely kill anything on my own. I understand my build is kind of a little all over, but I was trying to focus on Critical Strike, Cold n Lightning Damage, and pretty much survivability with massive amounts of damage.

I am using Basic Attack, Whirling Winds, Frenzy for my Main Attacks...Secondaries I use Fire Trap, Flicker Strike, Spectral Blade, Hatred, Vaal Summon Skeletons. I LOVE The Skeletons because they do a lot of damage I just wish I could summon them more frequently.

I don't know how to show you guys pix of my gear, but another thing I have been noticing is my characters mana gets drained so fast and I can't gain it back very fast and so I run out of mana constantly and have to throw up Vials like crazy. I am posting some pix of my stats and skill tree and I hope you guys can help me. Chaos Inoculation seems awesome but I tried it and died within seconds.

So Here is my Gear I will type it out:

Goldrim Leather Cap(Evasion Rating 52)(Unique) (Gems: Spectral Throw, Vaal Summon Skeletons)
+35 Evasion Rating
10% Increase Rare Find
+39% All Resistance
Reflect 4 Physical Damage Melee

Torment Fang Ancient Sword (Gems: Ethereal Knives (lv 8) , Increase Crit Dmg (lv 9), Mana Leech (lv 3)
Physical Damage 23-43
Elemental Damage 9-18
Crit Chance 5%
18% Increase Accuracy Rating
42% Increase Physical Damage
Add 9-18 Cold Dmg
9% Chaos Resist
+3 Life Gain on Hit
+1 Mana on Kill

Redbeak Rusted Sword (Quality 18%) (Gems: Frenzy (lv 7), Cast on Melee (lv 7), Add Cold Dmg (lv 9)
Phys Dmg 10-24
Crit Chance 5%
Atks Per Sec 1.43
18% Increase Accuracy
100% Increase Dmg Low Life
50% Increase Physical Damage
Adds 2-6 Physical Damage
10% Increase Attack Speed
+28 Maximum Life
+2 Life Gain on Hit

Stalwart Onyx Amulet of the Salamander
+14 All Attributes
+35 To Max Life
17% Fire Resistance

Gale Loop Moonstone Ring
+18 To Max Energy Shield
2.1 Life Regen per Sec
+22 Max Energy Shield
22% Increase Mana Regeneration
+3 To Max Energy Shield
+22% To Lightning Resistance

Kaom's Sign Coral Ring (Unique)
+26 To Max Life
+13 Strength
2% Physical Attack Damage Leech As Life
+1 Max Endurance Charge (No Idea what this does?)

Briskwrap Strap Leather (Unique) (Quality 20%)(Gems: Fire Trap (lv10), Blind (Lv6)
Evasion Rating 277
5% Increase Attack Speed
+161 Evasion Rating
33% To Cold Resist
5% Increase Movement Speed
23% Increase Mana Recovery for Flasks
5% Increase Dexterity

Dragon Clutches Deerskin Gloves (Gems: Dbl Strike(Lv10), Add Accuracy (Lv7), Hatred (Lv9)
Evasion Rating 91
Adds 2-4 Physical Damage
9% Increase Attack Speed
+14 Evasion Rating
20% Increase Evasion Rating
17% Fire Resistance
15% Cold Resistance
8% Increase Block and Stung Recovery

Pain Tether Chain Belt
+16 To Max Energy Shield
6% Reduce Enemy Stun Threshold
+17 To Max Life
+9 To Max Energy Shield
+14% To Fire Resist
17% Increase Flask Life Recovery Rate

Morbid Sole Goathide Boots (Quality 1%) (Gems: Whirling Blade (Lv10),Flicker Strike (Lv10)
Evasion Rating 36
+24 To Maximum Life
8% Increase Rare Find
10% To Fire Resist
14% To Cold Resist
16% Increase Block and Stun Recovery

::My Current Skill Tree::
http://i.imgur.com/xS75jA1.jpg

Any help would be awesome. Please Help with Suggestions on what to do. I really want to use daggers, but I haven't found any daggers worth using because I think my swords are good besides the Attack Speed and Accuracy.
I'm getting that you're wanting to do a dagger build maybe spectral throw or Frenzy?

Essentially, you want to cycle through low-life dagger uniques to get started - look into Ungil's Gauche and Mightflay.

The idea of this game isn't really to use every skill - min-max a single one or maximum two and you can use maybe one or two more to support.
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jun 22, 2014, 4:43:01 PM
I get that, but what do you recommend for me to do with what I have? What Gear to change first?

I have a few White 80% Critical Chance, and 60% Critical Chance White daggers with three slots I believe.
"
I get that, but what do you recommend for me to do with what I have? What Gear to change first?

I have a few White 80% Critical Chance, and 60% Critical Chance White daggers with three slots I believe.

Hehehe, you're pretty new to this game I can tell. Okay, don't even think about White Daggers.

I'll tell you exactly what to do, try and buy a Mightflay and Crest of Perandus on trade chat, try to pay 1c each.

Grab yourself a 4L and use Spectral Throw - LMP - Phys Proj - Added Fire

or alternatively

Frenzy - Multistrike - Melee Phys - Melee Splash

You'll need a nice dagger passive tree and this will do you good until the 60s :)
IGN: Chundaziri
8/8 Ambush/Invasion Complete - 21/06/2014
8/8 Warbands/Tempest Complete - 10/08/2015
Last edited by Chundadragon on Jun 22, 2014, 5:08:09 PM
What does 4L mean?

Please explain as you have notice I am about a week new to the game and am so Lost.

How about LMP? What is it? Also what is 1c (Chromatic Orb?)

Last edited by RagnarLoftbrook on Jun 22, 2014, 7:33:26 PM
Ok showing you my gear any more advice? I am in Act 3 Fighting this Fire guy who rains fire from the sky and Black Knights Running around. I feel like when I face bosses I take TONS of damage and my damage output isn't that good....Please more tips any bit you can give me has been helpful. I took off Melee Cast on Hit to Weapon Elemental Damage.

Also could you just tell me what to do to improve my character? I gave all the info where would you go with it? I have been looking for a dagger(s) worth using but so far no go. I have the Dual Wield Swords which is cool but not the best plus I am taking a shite ton more damage.
Last edited by RagnarLoftbrook on Jun 23, 2014, 2:47:25 PM
A few thoughts:

1) The only thing you should care about on your weapon(s) is damage. That Redbeak is garbage at this point. The other isn't much better. Don't worry about rarity, just see if you can find better or buy better from the vendor.

2) It was said already, but seriously, you need to simplify, a LOT. You generally want 1 main AoE skill, maybe 1 single-target skill, and many times, one skill to get around with (Leap Slam, Lightning Warp, or Whirling Blades). The only other things to consider are Auras, Curses, and Vaal skills. You've played with all those skills enough now, you should have an idea of what you like. Stick with that stuff, drop the rest.

3) Start getting life on your passive tree. Now. A lot of it. You seem to have almost none. You're going to want, at a bare minimum, 200% life from your skill tree. Yes, there are some builds here and there which can get away with a bit less. Most need that much, or a whole lot more.

4) Finally, use the wiki. It's how I got started. I wasn't sure how something worked, looked it up there. If it wasn't there, I would google it, and someone else here or on reddit would have answered it. There's a lot of little mechanics to this game, and most of the info you need is out there.
Thank You ALL For not trolling me and actually helping me with simple stuff. I love these kind of games but I always get overwhelmed due to ALL the information. I appreciate the help and giving me some ideas on how to improve.

Chaos Inoculation seems awesome, but I die like crazy so I stay away from it. I will work towards getting better weapons and focusing on life and resistance.

Would Critical Curse be a good thing for my character? Hatred seems awesome but it cuts my mana to almost none and I use Whirling blades like CRAZY just to get away and get a few points in damage. I have been using Fire trap to help me whiddle down my opponents life while they stand in it and I beat on them. Vaal Skeleton summon is freaking AWESOME...it does a lot of damage and it traps enemies so I can get away and get some kills.

Any more help...I am in the final act and I keep getting destroyed by Lightning Imps or the dragons that shoot constant fire that just kills you...Dam Blue Fire!!.
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Voidbearer these fuckers? You can get a white or rare ruby ring and reroll a magic version until you have a ruby ring with fireresist. It will neuter the dogs. A ruby flask or any major fire resist will help.
Low lvl arctic armor will help.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info