Summoner Ideas after Snapshot/ Pure Summoner

There are 2 main summon skills, Raise Zombie and Summon Spectre. I hope you don't suggest for a "summoner" to use all the possible summon skills? If so, then, you are missing Animate Guardian and Animate Weapon.
If you want to talk about a pure summoner who uses all the possible summons, there are very few of them, as it is not feasible. There is not enough gem slots to put all the possible minion skills. Raise Zombie, Summon Spectre, Summon Skeleton, Raging Spirit, Animate Guardian, Animate Weapon and Vaal Summon Skeletons. That is 7 skills.

"
We should be able to rely on our minions for surviving and not have to stack all these aura's and escape methods.

What do you mean should? You do rely on minions to help you survive, but you also have methods of saving yourself. If you have the slots, why not?
For example, let's look at other builds, like Spectre Throw or Arc Lightning. Should you assume they have no survival methods?

"
Your plan is running 4+ auras, cwdt setup, smoke mine, all this crap that should not be typical of a summoner.

How do you define a typical summoner? Would it not be someone that gets most of the Minion nodes and several summons?
What I'm looking at is pretty much any typical reference to a necromancer anywhere in movies, other games, etc. I just don't see them making themselves powerhouses and then saying screw my minions I'm fine without them. We are taking all of these passive for a reason. I know there are extra after that we can work with but I'd rather see those going towards extra mana or energy shield if the es were somehow feasible. In my original post, vis mortis greatly reduces your survivability already. Can't use midnight bargain with it if you want to go ci to make up for that low defense. Low life is just as dangerous running two midnights. Mon'tregul's grasp is terrible compared to not using it without snapshotting at the moment. Problems compund one after another.

I see people complaining about summoners being too passive. My problem is essentially the same thing. I want to be able to stand behind my army not worrying for my life every time a mob gets too close to me every few seconds because that is what my minions are there for. Everybody else can stack uniques and other rare gear to benefit their damage method as well as suvivability, why can't we do the same? Our survivability and damage is our minions (or should be). If Vis mortis was made to look so amazing to run a spectre build with, then why the heck can anybody barely use it without RIPs looming overhead.

If I were able to know I'd be safe I wouldn't be sitting in the background passivly. I would be spamming raging spirits, skeletons and weapons actively because that is what a summoner/necromancer does. They summon shit. I don't think a movie where the necromancer summons a couple zombies and ghosts and then runs off to the other room every time would be very entertaining.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
I guess people look in the topic and think: "lol they want to run all summons, and expect to do good."

So.... Yeah. Is that wrong?

People can run 11 auras with an aura char and it works.
Why can't i work with summons?

Our atk skill and our defensive skill are the summons in most cases. I guess no one here have a summoner of at least lvl 80 and play hard maps without snapshot like we do. I just guess. XD

Try it :p

Then you'll come back to your ST ripped build from google. :p

If you want to go pure summoner, which just is a bad idea, you have to rely on minion instability.

Otherwise you wont be able to do well in so many parts of the game.

But with with MI you can go for it.

Although, like i said, pure summoner is a bad choice.

You should at least run ARC/spark with EE for some extra DPS (use hatred and Anger, and Arc for EE).

Minions need a lot of support to be viable, esspecially Flameblast is a good AOE support DPS skill and skills like Rejuvenation totem, Convocation, Enfeeble, Flesh offering are a MUST have.

If you think you can do level 70+ maps with minions only without being active about support them, then you are mislead.

i currently run 6 active skills and 3 auras (clarity, anger, hatred) I support my 8 zombies, 2 spectres, 1 guardian with.

Enfeeble, animate weapon, reju totem, convocation, flesh offering, Flameblast.

With this setup, i stomp through level 73 maps, and higher maps probably too, havent tried yet.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
I guess what I think is more appropriate is yes I cna run auras as a pure summoner at least three on one 4 link item with reduced mana but then as a summoner the focus should be on the summons. I like the idea of zombies using enduring cry but feel that they are fairly tanky with how most people set them up so maybe a minion version that merely attracts the enemies and has a longer distance. Then if it is really needed I think a keystone after the block chance behind necromatic Aegis that takes aura effects away from you completely and gives 75% more effect on minions would counteract any excessive minion deaths with the luring call. Otherwise maybe matua tepuna needs a major overhaul to make it not such a joke unique. I barely ever have it drop but seriously I am more likely to vendor it immediately then a Thorns.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
The zombie enduring cry i proposed would be highly efficient in a minion army imo.

It would allow a sort of "focused battle" around your zombie's. If you get over-run, your utterly screwed, if not you come out victorious.

But since you can just re-summon minions constantly it might even be broken.

Maybe a keynode?

Immagine, behind the +1 spectre node.

key-node suggestion

Undead zombie war-song key-node.

Lose 1 spectre slot, zombie's gain enduring cry and cast it every 10th attack

Sort of a specialized zombie node. The sacrifice in dps is great (-1 spectre) and to reflect this the survival ability's of the master are increased drastically.

(i would propose they do not gain an enduring cry this way btw, just the ability to "attract other mobs")

Peace,

-Boem-

Edit : this concept might even make midnight bargain possible on hard-core without a shavs etc. Depending on how it would function.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
Last edited by Boem on Jun 25, 2014, 5:22:32 PM
"
KalHirol wrote:

If you want to go pure summoner, which just is a bad idea, you have to rely on minion instability.

Otherwise you wont be able to do well in so many parts of the game.

But with with MI you can go for it.

Although, like i said, pure summoner is a bad choice.

You should at least run ARC/spark with EE for some extra DPS (use hatred and Anger, and Arc for EE).

Minions need a lot of support to be viable, esspecially Flameblast is a good AOE support DPS skill and skills like Rejuvenation totem, Convocation, Enfeeble, Flesh offering are a MUST have.

If you think you can do level 70+ maps with minions only without being active about support them, then you are mislead.

i currently run 6 active skills and 3 auras (clarity, anger, hatred) I support my 8 zombies, 2 spectres, 1 guardian with.

Enfeeble, animate weapon, reju totem, convocation, flesh offering, Flameblast.

With this setup, i stomp through level 73 maps, and higher maps probably too, havent tried yet.

those number of summons mean you don't bother with minion unique items (at least not the legs or the hand).
For sure no one can play passivily with a summoner. You can do just with RF builds. :p

I really want to see you stomping Xandro with this build.

About the other post of the new zombie passive that takes out 1 spectre, i think it's to low tradeoff. I may just don't use Spectres at all and still do fine with this new node, kinda overpowered haha. But it's a nice idea, trade some off to get some def.
Last edited by loinator on Jun 25, 2014, 8:34:04 PM
Ah how i like ideas at shower hahaha.

I was thinking...

How about change the passive summoning points in a way that you would need to spend at least 10 points to be able to get a node that says: "Your summons take X% damage from you. Each summon take 1% up to a cap at 75% summons (75% damage reduction)".

What would that mean?

If you have 50 summons, and take a hit of 1000 damage, you would take 500 points because the others 500 would be given to 50 summons (10 damage on each).

If you would take 10k damage, with 20 summons up, you would take 8k damage (each summon would take 200).

The cap is for obvious reasons (50 raging spirits and 40 vaal skels, plus zombies and 100% damage reduction OP).
Last edited by loinator on Jun 26, 2014, 7:59:49 PM
"
loinator wrote:
Ah how i like ideas at shower hahaha.

I was thinking...

How about change the passive summoning points in a way that you would need to spend at least 10 points to be able to get a node that says: "Your summons take X% damage from you. Each summon take 1% up to a cap at 75% summons (75% damage reduction)".

What would that mean?

If you have 50 summons, and take a hit of 1000 damage, you would take 500 points because the others 500 would be given to 50 summons (10 damage on each).

If you would take 10k damage, with 20 summons up, you would take 8k damage (each summon would take 200).

The cap is for obvious reasons (50 raging spirits and 40 vaal skels, plus zombies and 100% damage reduction OP).

I do like that idea but again not sure if it should be a passive or aura of some sort. I feel that the passive tree itself needs to be smoothed out before absolutely new nodes are added in general.
"It's all clearer now
And I hear her now
And I'm nearer to
The Salvation Code"
How about a rather unique solution "PANTS" with four gem slots?

That would really help us PURE summoners out a lot, and the Templar won't look so silly anymore either.

No SkillTree or aura changes needed.

To Die Is Not An Option, To Fight Until DIESync Is The Only Answer. ☺☻☺

Happy Hunting Exiles.
Last edited by GrumpyBear5043 on Jun 27, 2014, 5:00:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info