dual Searing Bond, 1 hander / shield version, cheap and easy, endgame maps easy

there are a few searing bond builds already, i did my own , after i started a searing bond build from here with a "searing touch" unique staff, that guide is using arctic armor. (can be found here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/802364 )

it wasn't planned. i just played, did this, and it worked:

. . -------- ||| the 1 hander / shield version. ||| ------- . .
. . -------- ||| game version : 1.15d
. . -------- ||| last update: 25. AUGUST 2014

- closed -
Spoiler
it was fun and it was a great way to play endgame for low costs, and with 4 link gear.

after the 1.2 patch changes, i don't see a motivation anymore to keep on playing this skill as the main dps skill.

this build is very safe, the player is tanky. endgame maps are e a s y. i do 77 and 78 as much as possible, the costs are, what forces me to play 76 or lower maps sometimes. i am level 92, and i tried to optimize my gear. but its possible to do it with cheaper gear, allthough, mine is not expensive. the kill speed is ok, if you know, how to use the skills.

the goal:[spoiler]
getting into endgame for low costs, and playing maps
[/spoiler]

pros:
Spoiler

- cheap
- immune to reflect damage
- safe
- solo viable ( I played 95% solo)
- good dps
- great survivability
- fun
- relaxed play style
- no 5 or even 6 link needed
- leveling the char up is easy too

cons:
Spoiler

- in comparison to the "searing touch" build with "arctic armor", this build offers only 2 support gem sockets for searing bond. so, regarding an "item rarity" gem, the searing touch version has an advantage.

- the technique of searing bond generally, doesn't allow the fastest kill speed one can get in this game. that doesn't mean it is slow. it has nothing to do with dps. the dps of this searing bond build is great. the searing bond gem level can be increased until lvl 28. the searing bond gem dps gets increased by 387%. which means, pure searing bond gem dps * 4.87 plus a couple of free dps nodes straight nearby, which can get traded for defensive stats, if prefered.

passive tree (level 92)
Spoiler

edit 12. July 2014
"Agility" (+30 dex): the dexterity was needed for leveling the "multiple traps" gem to 20 in order to get a 20% quality bonus from the vendor recipe. after that, the dexterity from Agility is not needed anymore and can be refunded. the free point can be used at any free dps node e.g. at the "Totemic Mastery" area.

passive skill tree (game version 1.15d):

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbC2EQzBJpFE0XHBmFGjIaOBpsHRQkqicvKMUo-ilPKhMqjSu2LKc1kjbFNtg26T38QYdE50WdRtdKyEw1UWBVxlnzWitdxl5dXz9gbWo7bqpwfXF5eA15aHqqgpuCx4M4iBuI8YuMjEaMz49GkFWXhZitmuCdgJ2uoLSiAKPypKynCKeEp5SoGKluqZW1BLXytz64k7yfwBrBBMMTxq7PZdDQ0TbR_dgk2t3d8-Fz42rjn-Qi6-7sOOxV7SDvDu-F8B_yL_MG877z3fZI-JP56PrS-6r-Cv6H

auras:
Spoiler

- "clarity"
- "purity of lightning", (because lightning is the most powerful damage mobs can deal imo, and searing bond does not reflect, so purity of fire is not needed)

- "tempest shield" (+4% block chance) causes also a mana pool reduction.

stats char level 92
offensive
Spoiler

screenshot
Spoiler

i use a level 20 searing bond gem, thats
- 13504,8 dps, with a level 2 empower gem. (searing bond = lvl 25). thats what i have currently.

- a level 3 empower gem would increase dps up to 14882 (searing bond = lvl 26)

- a level 4 empower gem (corrupted) would increase dps to 16392. (searing bond = lvl 27). these gems go for 50+ exaltet. --> not an option in my opinion, just for theorycrafing what is possible.

- a corrupted lvl 21 searing bond gem would increase the levels also +1. it would increase dps to 18046 dps (searing bond = maximum lvl 28). these gems go for 2-3 exaltet.

elemental equilibrium and elemental weakness curse are a huge dps boost. this is useful especially for fire resistant mobs.

stats char lvl 92
defensive
Spoiler

screenshot
Spoiler

79 fire res
79 cold res
83 lightning res
65 % block chance to attacks
62 % of block chance applied to spells = 40% block chance for spells

4843 life
117 shields
3383 armor
1054 mana (850 is good enough)
213 life reg per seceond
80 mana reg per second (70 is good enough)

gear
Spoiler

weapon:
this is a very good endgame sceptre for searing bond.
the "+ 1 to level of gems" and "+2 to level of fire gems" are mandatory on the endgame weapon.
the good stats are "15% increased elemental damage" and the "15% increased fire damage" . the more you get here, the better the weapon. a 3rd useful stat would be "xx% increased mana regeneration"

amulet:
the stone of lazhwar is needed due to the 50% block chance applied to spells. try to get a corrupted one with "additional block chance" (expensive) or "-24 physical damage from attacks" (costs: 5-10 chaos)

rings:
should have "increased fire damage" there are not many ways to get the dps up. rings can increase dps.

body armor:
source of resistances, life, armor.
edit: new chest, without mana and energy shield added. traded for more life, resistances and armor.

infernal mantle?
Spoiler

would increase dps. in my case about 1000 more dps with a max roll on "xx% increased fire damage". i don't like it because the downside is: no life and no resistances on the infernal mantle.

this is, what i don't want to trade. less life means less regenration as well.
but, if you can handle it, to get enough life, life regeration and resistances to feel safe enough - try it.

boots:
movementspeed, life, mana, resitances, and they are perfect.

Rainbowstride Conjurer Boots?
sure! not mandatory, but these boots are great for this build and make it even stronger. additional spell block chance instead healthpoints.

helmet:
one of these two options you should have for endgame:
- Chitus' Apex Necromancer Circlet
- Hrimnor's Resolve Samite Helmet
the chitus' apex gives mana and expirience gain, the Hrimnor's gives armor and a bit more dps.
the 50% anti freeze/chill property on the Hrimnor's can be ignored, it is useless for this build. also without a Hrimnor's i can't remember beeing freezed in endgame so far (too much life and resistances i assume). and if chilled: blink away with lightning warp.

belt:
the biggest source of life. (mine has 131 healthpoints, i payed ~ 5 chaos)
also a source of resistances.
armor is great, but makes it expensive. if money isn't a problem, armor makes the belt perfect.

shield:
block chance as high as possible. + life, + resistances. + armor is a nice bonus.

also this unique is an option:

i do not use it, because
Spoiler

feedback for the Rathpith Globe shield test (03. July 2014):
as expected its not a huge difference. but: i prefer the other shield (as shown at the gear spoiler). because the lost armor, life, and the lost 6% block chance to attacks is noticable. most of the incoming damage type is attack damage. so i stick to the old shield. this is my personal opinion. (if the 48% increased spell damage on the Rathpith Globe would have effect for searing bond, it would be a different story, but is doesn't)

important:

generally only these modifiers increase searing bond dps:

"increased elemental damage"
"increased fire damage"
"increased burning damage"
"increased totem damage"

all other modifiers do not increase dual searing bond dps. like:

"adds xxx fire damage"
"adds xxx cold damage"
"adds xxx lightning damage"
"adds xxx chaos damage"
"xx% increased spell damage"
any crit modifiers

gem links
Spoiler

weapon (3 link RRR):
increased burning damage/searing bond/empower

shield (3 link BRB):
lightning warp/reduced duration/faster casting

4 link BGRB: faster casting/multiple traps/blood magic/lightning trap

4 link RRRR: cast when damage taken/enduring cry/immortal call/increased duration

4 link BBBR: elemental weakness/vaal summon skeletons/increased duration/molten shell

4 link BBRR: clarity/tempest shield/purity of lightning/reduced mana

the "cast when damage taken/enduringy cry/immortal call/increased duration" combo:
make sure to link the gems in the right order, and not randomly. Cast When Damage Taken casts the supportet skills clockwise, and its better to get the endurance charges up, before immortal call is castet.

survivability
Spoiler

with dual searing bond it is not possible, to leech life. the only way to get life back is from passives "x.xx% of life per second regenrated" and from flasks. that's why, these are a "must have"

this isnt a problem. survivability comes from meatshield in form of totems, block chance and high resistances. block chance should be around 60% to aim for. the more the better ofc. 62% applied to spells, means about 37% to spells. this is what you should have at least. its sounds low, but totems tank a ton of hits and i played with these stats for a long time.
with the shown gear i had:
65% to attacks, 40% block chance to spells. it felt very tanky.

instead of spending even more passive points into this, its better to spend some points into totem life and totem resitances. your totems have a great survivability withe the buffs from the passive tree. with a Q20 totem gem, (which i still do not have - im working on it) your totems are better than needed.

Elemental Eqilibrium alone is very good, elemental weakness is very good alone. together they are really strong. the dying speed of unique mobs is fast, even fire resistant uniqes go down in a few seconds.
important information about "elemental weakness" and "elemental equilibrium":
read this spoiler please:
Spoiler

sometimes at bosses and unique mobs it looks like, there is no big additional effect from "elemental weakness" curse or "elemental equilibrium", at least, it doesn't look like ~50% more, like the skill describtion says. this has a reason. original text from the POE Wiki:

"Map bosses also have 60% reduced effect of curses on them, and Act Bosses 70%. Launching a curse that decrease the elementals resistances by 10% on Vaal oversoul would reduce his resistances by only 3%."

so, it makes even more sense to have Elemental Equlibrium in addition to a curse, since bosses get reduced effects from such skills. every single % counts.

recommended:
Spoiler

if you start this with a bit of money, and want to invest in gear: buy a quality searing bond gem at the start, and level it up to 20. because, i leveled up a zero quality to lvl 20, then I vendor reciped it to Quality 20 and leveled it up again. i am at level 92 now and i am still not done with it. its about 20Q lvl17 now. so, this investment would have been absolutely worth it.

a Quality empower gem is very useful. spend some gemcutters into it, if you have some. an empower gem is the strongest dps booster. they need a lot of expirience to level them up. mine is at 40% of next level(3) now, other gems reached max level almost twice in the meantime. Quality on empower gems gives an experience buff to the gem. 20% quality means 100% more experience, 10% quality means 50% more experience, etc.

i have a level 21 "increased burning damage" gem. i just used a vaal orb at a lvl 20 and i got this. but, the damage "boost" is low, something about +50. so, its nice to have, but not needed.

in mercyless and when starting maps, the "Stone Of Lazhwar" amulet modification "-xx physical damage taken from attacks" becomes usefull against these high attack speed projectile shooting trash mobs (like "tentacle miscreation", "piety's miscreation" etc.)

playstyle
Spoiler

you must trigger Elemental Equlibrium. searing bond doesn't trigger it. this is very useful. you do not have to worry about, if its already triggered or not.
since you can't deal damage beside searing bond, you must use traps to trigger EE. (there is an important information about curses and EE at the "survivability" spoiler. please read it.)

Elemental Equlibrium Trigger Skills:
i prefer:
lightning trap/ multiple traps/faster casting/blood magic

you can also use:
icenova/trap/multiple traps/anything you want

playstyle:
- first of all, cast molten shell.
this is +1058 armor (unbuffed) for more than 17 seconds.

- throw the traps to trigger EE. if there is pressure/no time: you can curse with elemental weakness instead. (this is faster) if there is time, you can curse in addition to EE. for trash mobs, elemental weakness alone is perfect. mobs die in a second.

- cast your 2 totems in front of you.
don't "spam" totems. the time until a totem starts dealing damage is lost dps time.
so, if you spam it, you lose dps time.

only cast a new totem, if it is nessesary. its better to change the position (and so the attack area) if needed.

- Lightning Warp:
if your totems are up, a fast repositioning of yourself changes the attack area immediately. this is very useful.
Lightning Warp supportet by reduced duration and faster casting is a must have.

- vaal summon skelettons
this is a big additional meat shield for boss fights, or rogue exiles.

- enfeeble
switch the elemental weakness gem with enfeeble for dangerous bosses.

bandits
Spoiler

normal: help oak (+40 healthpoints)
cruel: kill all (+1 passive point)
mercyless: kill all (+1 passive point)

things you should know before you start
Spoiler

1. if you use dual totems (ancestral bond keystone activated) you can not deal damage beside it anymore. exception: traps.

2. because of that, elemental equilibrium must get triggered from traps, which deal any other elemental damage than fire.

3. searing bond does not trigger EE. This makes searing bond a perfect dps skill for EE, since there is no need to pay attention if EE is already triggered or not.

4. map bosses have 60% reduced effect of curses on them, Act Bosses 70%. Example: Launching a curse (elemental weakness) on a map boss, which decreases the elemental resistances by 50%, reduces his resistances by only 20%.

5. the “cast when damage taken” gem casts linked spells in sockets in clockwise order.

6. “+1 to level of gems in this item” increases the searing bond gem for 2 levels, if there is an empower gem linked.

7. there is a vendor receipe to get +1 to levels of fire gems (or any other element) on a weapon. it is useful for the leveling weapon. (recipe and example inside the leveling guide section)

8. increased fire damage, increased elemental damage, increased totem damage, increased burning damage, all have the same effect on searing bond dps, if it is the same % value.

9. "increased spell damage", "adds xx fire damage", "adds xx cold damage" etc., have no effect on searing bond.

videos
Spoiler

not possible at the moment, sorry. if i have new hardware, i make a video.

. . ..................... leveling guide ..................... . .
Spoiler

dual totem (ancestral bond) was activatet about level 30. with dual totem, elemental weakness curse is important. (or flammabilty curse) since no other damage can be dealt anymore, except from traps.

you can get the searing bond gem from a quest reward in act 3 normal, quest "lost in love". it is the very 1st quest you get in in town in act 3 normal. minimum level for the gem is 24.

before searing bond, there is no special strategy for the dps skill. any elemental damage gets boosted with the first templar passive tree nodes. storm call, ice nova, arc, fire trap, molten strike,...

weapon for leveling up:
Spoiler

example for a leveling weapon to start with char level 24 (minimum level requirement for searing bond gem). the easiest way to get such a sceptre is to use a vendor recipe.

purchased without the +1 to fire gems from the vendor in town.
vendor recipe for "+1 to level of fire gems":
1 magic sceptre
(best option is a sceptre with "20 % increased elemental damage")
1 ruby ring (rings can have any rarity)
1 alteration orb

after that phase, about char level 44, a +2 to fire gems sceptre is easy to get. it is good enough until playing low level maps. i remember playing 73 maps still with a "+2 to fire gems" sceptre. such sceptres are offered at poe.xyz.is usually at level 44+. so, once you are level 44, you could switch to such a sceptre. costs are about 1-3 chaos.

example:

level 44 sceptre

after that, a "+2 to level of fire gems" AND "+1 to level of gems" sceptre is recommended. its an investment about 2-4 exaltet. don't expect to find a fair offer for a good weapon at the very 1st try. when you have the money and see a fair offer, you should buy it and not wait. weapons are there - most of the time. the questions is: the price.

btw "+1 to level of gems" increases searing bond 2 levels. because of the empower gem.

passive tree:
Spoiler

progression so far:

about level 15
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbFE0pT0bXXcZgbYKbgziLjJ2AogC1BN3z4XPkIu0g

about level 20:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbFE0ZhRpsJKopTzbpRtddxmBtgpuDOIuMnYCiALUE3fPhc-Nq5CLtIA==

about level 25
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbFE0ZhRo4GmwkqilPNulG113GYG2Cm4M4i4yQVZ2AogCnhLUEwBrd8-Fz42rkIuw47SA=

about level 30
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbFE0ZhRo4GmwkqilPKhMspzbpRtdZ813GYG2Cm4M4i4yQVZ2AogCj8qeEtQTAGsMT3fPhc-Nq5CLsOO0g

about lvl34:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbEmkUTRccGYUaOBpsJKopTyoTLKc26UbXWfNdxmBtcXmCm4M4i4yQVZ2Ana6iAKPyp4S1BMAawxPd8-Fz42rkIuw47SA=

the "increased buring damage" nodes (Holy Fire) were the last spended points, because when dual totem starts, its time to boost fire damage and burning damage

normal difficulty was not a problem at all, like any other build too. nothing special to say about.

lvl50:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAAnEEswVbEmkUTRccGYUaOBpsHRQkqijFKPopTyoTKo0spzbFNtg26UbXTDVZ813GYG1wfXF5eqqCm4M4iBuLjJBVl4WYrZrgnYCdrqIAo_KnCKeEtQS4k8AawxPYJN3z4XPjauQi6-7sOOxV7SDvhfO--tI=

i am in cruel difficulty act 3 now. it is not getting harder - it is getting easier. the more points are spended, and the "better" the gear gets.

this is what i have at the moment, from loot and what i can effort. i am saving curreny for an empower gem a sceptre for endgame:

its recommended to use an "item rarity" gem while using a +1 or a "+2 to level of fire gems" sceptre like this, before using a "+1 to level of gems" sceptre on your final weapon.

original post from crusa187 playing HC
Spoiler

I ended up with a fair amount of IIR on gear, and used IIR gem with SB. Empower doesn't hit level2 until 83ish at least, and so IIR is probably one of the better choices to use while leveling. This netted me a total of about +130% IIR on SB, which led to some pretty insane drops. Highly recommend doing this while leveling your empower gem.

lvl57:
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbEmkUTRccGYUaMho4GmwdFCSqKMUo-ilPKhMqjSynNsU22DbpQYdFnUbXTDVRYFnzXcZgbXB9cXl6qoKbgseDOIgbiPGLjJBVl4WYrZrgnYCdrqIAo_KnCKeEqZW1BLc-uJPAGsMT2CTa3d3z4XPjauQi6-7sOOxV7SDvhfO--ej60v4K

in mercyless now.
like always when entering mercyless, resistances become a bit too low and must get boostet again with better gear.

clarity/purity of lightning/tempest shield activated.
stone of Lazhwar and the Hrimor's Helmet purchased.

lvl69
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbC2EQzBJpFE0XHBmFGjIaOBpsHRQkqicvKMUo-ilPKhMqjSynNZI2xTbYNulBh0WdRtdKyEw1UWBZ813GXz9gbW6qcH1xeXgNeWh6qoKbgseDOIgbiPGLjJBVl4WYrZrgnYCdrqC0ogCj8qcIp4SpbqmVtQS18rc-uJPAGsEEwxPGrtE22CTd8-Fz42rjn-Qi6-7sOOxV7SDvhfAf8wbzvvPd-ej60vuq_go=

of course it depends on the players's gear, what is needed the most momentarily, and where to spend points sooner or later.

lvl92
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUBAnEEswVbC2EQzBJpFE0XHBmFGjIaOBpsHRQkqicvKMUo-ilPKhMqjSu2LKc1kjbFNtg26T38QYdE50WdRtdKyEw1UWBVxlnzWitdxl5dXz9gbWo7bqpwfXF5eA15aHqqeyCCm4LHgziIG4jxi4yMRozPj0aQVZeFmK2a4J2Ana6gtKIAo_KkrKcIp4SnlKgYqW6plbUEtfK3PriTvJ_AGsEEwxPGrs9l0NDRNtH92CTd8-Fz42rjn-Qi6-7sOOxV7SDvDu-F8B_yL_MG877z3fZI-JP56PrS-6r-Cv6H

3 free "8% increased fire damage" nodes right next to "Elementalist" in the templar area can be used to boost dps instead life, if prefered. it depends on the players gear too.

- - - - the end - - - -
Last edited by mannihello on Aug 25, 2014, 4:07:25 AM
Last edited by mannihello on Jun 18, 2014, 7:43:37 PM
Nice and cheap, I like it, you need to make some vids, poeople love vids :D
Looking at this spec, and with all the burning damage and fire damage, looking to go 1 SB so I can cast spells and use the new flame surge, 50% more damage when target is burning. Seems like a big boast, any thoughts?
"
bermuda1 wrote:
Looking at this spec, and with all the burning damage and fire damage, looking to go 1 SB so I can cast spells and use the new flame surge, 50% more damage when target is burning. Seems like a big boast, any thoughts?

when flame surge came out my 1st thought was, to use this with searing bond.
but i forgot elemental equlibrium.

searing bond doesn't trigger EE which makes searing bond and EE working perfect together. flame surge triggers EE, and then, the mobs become 25% more resitant to fire, if not triggered before with a different element.

if you try that, i would do it without EE. and since you don't use ancestral bond (using 2 totems) you have more passive points to spend to boost fire (or area) damage. so, it might work.
Yeah going to work on it somehow.

Question: What about carcass jack for size bonus to beam does that work? and area damage?
"
bermuda1 wrote:
Yeah going to work on it somehow.

Question: What about carcass jack for size bonus to beam does that work? and area damage?

i didn't try it, but i am sure, both have no effect.

size bonus to totem range: there is a totem range passive node (+15%), 3 points away from "sentinel", below the scion start area.
ty for guide
danger, laser, imposible!!! XD
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCmeA_8htU4
Thanks for your guide.

Tempted to try it, but Searing Bond is sooooooo boring :) Nah, jk.

Wonder how a SB totem and a Lightning Warp totem with EE would work?

Main prob I have, of course, is that for non-melee, you either have to go near them, or cast a totem near them, or get them in the laser - I'm too lazy!
Last edited by SamTowera on Jul 1, 2014, 1:52:35 AM
Hi draud, i loled.

Hi Sam,

yupp, its true, you will have a lot of things to do compared to other dudes who press the 1 attack button, or even the ones who only walk around and doing nothing - with rightoeous fire. if you don't like doing things, then... - no, you will like it xD

when i come back to this one from playing or testing any other build: I am always surprised how tanky it feels. it feels safe, cool, silent, there is no danger, not much pressure, and you watch a lot of things burning and dying around you. if you pay a bit attention, you literally do never die. the last time i died was, because my pc freezed, and then crashed.

EE and lightning warp totem: i did a test and: it triggers EE. that means, there is no need to throw traps anymore. TheuberClips postetd a FAQ in his tanky totems thread, and there is one regarding lightning warp totem (i copy + pasted):

Q: Why not 1 Searing Bond totem and 1 Lighting warp totem?
A: Losing a beam of Searing Bond results in less area covered by beams. Lightning Warp also has a requirement for the minimum distance travelled by the warp, and it will continuously do this.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info