Maybe Change all DoT% to Chaos Damage%

Was mulling this over with Viper Strike. Are there any skills that NEED DoT% damage nodes, or is fire+burning enough for Searing Bond, Physical% for Puncture... basically am I overlooking any reason it wouldn't be better if they were all Chaos Damage%.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
I am not sure why you'd want to nerf these nodes just because Burning Damage and Puncture have alternatives? Just curious about that :)
It's a buff in regards to

and the direct-damage "50% of physical added as chaos damage" portion of Poison Arrow. Ignite and Puncture don't just have alternatives, they have strictly better alternatives. Chaos damage doesn't.
Viper strike and desecrate are two chaos dots, the only boost to dps is the damage over time nodes. Chaos damage nodes and added chaos damage gem do not boost the damage over time.

Added chaos gem is only useful to be linked to viper strike for the added chaos damage on the initial hit from the skill, added chaos nodes will only be useful for any chaos damage you can do in the initial hit.
"
mrgrado wrote:
Viper strike and desecrate are two chaos dots, the only boost to dps is the damage over time nodes. Chaos damage nodes [..] do not boost the damage over time.

Increased Chaos Damage does apply to Chaos Damage over Time. That's one of the big changes from the DoT patch.

Before you bring up the tooltip: Increased DoT Damage also doesn't show on Viper Strike's tooltip.
Last edited by Vipermagi on Jun 25, 2014, 6:12:15 AM
"
Was mulling this over with Viper Strike. Are there any skills that NEED DoT% damage nodes, or is fire+burning enough for Searing Bond, Physical% for Puncture... basically am I overlooking any reason it wouldn't be better if they were all Chaos Damage%.

It would be a significant nerf to Puncture if it had to rely entirely on weapon damage nodes! You really want to boost the bleed ratio (as in, how much bleed damage you do per point of initial hit damage) somehow. With a bow, projectile damage nodes are OK for this, but there aren't that many of them. With melee Puncture, there's no doubt about it - getting some DOT nodes is mandatory if you want the bleed to do anything worthwhile.

Burning is a bit different, because there are a fair number of fire/elemental damage nodes (boosting both the initial hit and the burn), some pretty strong burning bonuses on items, special burning (i.e. 'fire damage over time') passives that other DOT builds can't use, and you can take the projectile nodes as well if you're using projectiles to ignite things.
Compromise, that you've already seen, but just to reiterate

"X% Increased DoT and Chaos Damage"

Works like increased Ev+Ar nodes in that it doesn't dip. Provides chaos with an additional source of damage boost while leaving non-chaos DoT options a little more punch.
IGN - PlutoChthon, Talvathir
i think the its fine how it is.
Voltaxic Rift builds would be too OP then i guess.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info