Let's talk about Dual Wielding...

I think this is what happens. (this formula is getting very long)

(base * (increased) * (more) + (base elemental *(increased) * (more elemental)) * (attack damage) * (spell damage)

Edit. forgot increased
<3 Free Tibet <3
Last edited by Opinionated on Jun 6, 2014, 4:31:59 PM
"
kolp wrote:
"
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Aaaand that's why it'd probably be a generic %More Attack Damage multiplier, as opposed to a separate Physical and Elemnetal Damage multiplier. No double-dipping. Simple.

Do me a favor and actually read this thread instead of the last post or two.

No offense, but Vipermagi has probably forgotten more about PoE mechanics than all of us combined think we know about PoE mechanics...

However true that may be, ignoring two-thirds of the thread and only addressing the sidenote on double-dipping makes him just as idiotic as the next person in this particular instance.
"Nothing happened." - CharanJaydemyr, TheWretch

Sayya's Item Filter (updated for Ritual!) - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1260712
"

However true that may be, ignoring two-thirds of the thread and only addressing the sidenote on double-dipping makes him just as idiotic as the next person in this particular instance.

lighten up Francis.
"The Eye of Ra appears against you,
His force is powerful against you.
She devours you, she punishes you
In this her name 'Devouring Flame."
-Anubis Hotep
How the HELL did you know my name? *paranoid glare*

Sayya's Item Filter (updated for Ritual!) - http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1260712
-Anubis Hotep
"
Do me a favor and actually read this thread instead of the last post or two.

Okay. I've now read the thread a second time, because apparently the first time wasn't sufficient. With this newfound knowledge, I have deduced that Hatred and Added Fire still wouldn't be double-dipping from the dual-wield Damage multiplier.

Well drat, nothing has changed and my comment is still valid. Yes, it only adresses a sidenote (as did the comment I was responding to (made by you)). Opinionated said Hatred and Added Fire would double-dip if dual-wielding gained an Elemental Damage multiplier - I provided an option that would achieve the same thing, without the double-dipping. What's the big deal?

"
Opinionated wrote:
With limited research, it seems like you are asking them to create a new modifier. Wands count as attacks (just keep that in mind).

It's just another Damage multiplier. Increased Fire Damage and Increased Physical Damage with One-handed Melee Weapons are both the same type of multiplier, namely Increased Damage. If GGG wanted, they could give an item Increased Totem Trap Damage. It doesn't 'exist' currently, but it's just another Damage multiplier with some subtypes slapped onto it.

There's also the fact that, as mentioned, the Crown of Eyes actually grants Attack Damage multipliers already, which can involve More Attack Damage.

"
Opinionated wrote:
[math]
I don't know does that look right? I am in a rush to start racing lol. Seems really strong and looks like it is double dipping. Maybe you will come up with a better formula.

With all due respect, forget all that. :)

Added Damage is calculated before Conversion and before any sort of Damage multiplier. It creates a new Base Damage value relative to Base Physical Damage. This value is then effected by all modifiers that would apply to the new Damage type, plus the source's Damage type, in one single step (which is the usual Base * (Inc+Red) * More * Less). There is no way a single multiplier can ever apply to the same value twice, because there's only one step where it is relevant.

With numbers:
100 Base Phys
30% Added as Fire
100% Increased Physical Damage
80% Increased Elemental Damage
20% More Attack Damage
20% Reduced Attack Damage (because why not)

Base * (Increased+Reduced) * More * Less = Total

Physical Damage:
Benefits from Inc Phys, Red Atk, More Atk
100 * (1 + (100/100) + (-20/100)) * 1.2 = 216 Physical Damage

Fire Damage:
100 * 0.3 = 30 Base Fire Damage (from Physical)

Benefits from Inc Phys, Inc Ele, Red Atk, More Atk
30 * (1 + (100/100) + (80/100) + (-20/100)) * 1.2 = 93.6 Fire Damage

Double-dipping only occurs when there's two separate values. For example, Ignite double-dips from Increased Fire Damage because IFD applies to both the flat Fire Damage, and Ignite's Damage over Time. It does not literally apply to Ignite's Damage over Time twice.
was wondering when the hammer would drop...
-Anubis Hotep
Well race is over, I did terrible lol. Now that I have time to do proper maths I can agree with you Vipermagi, in that adding a new modifier would work as you say.

I can only come up with 3 ideas.

They didn't want to add a new modifier.
They think elemental damage is stronger than physical.
They overlooked elemental damage.
<3 Free Tibet <3
"
Vipermagi wrote:
Opinionated said Hatred and Added Fire would double-dip if dual-wielding gained an Elemental Damage multiplier - I provided an option that would achieve the same thing, without the double-dipping. What's the big deal?

Sorry. XD Misinterpreted it as advocating that the more physical damage should be changed to a general more damage modifier, rather than just a clarification.

"
Opinionated wrote:
Well race is over, I did terrible lol. Now that I have time to do proper maths I can agree with you Vipermagi, in that adding a new modifier would work as you say.

I can only come up with 3 ideas.

They didn't want to add a new modifier.
They think elemental damage is stronger than physical.
They overlooked elemental damage.

Case 1 hasn't stopped GGG in the past, especially for a modifier as simple as more damage (especially compared to unique affixes and corruptible implicits). Case 3 is not a thing they do. And case 2 is very vague.

The trouble with any "more" damage modifier is that it's very easy to inflate to broken proportions if not balanced very, very carefully--hence the nerfs to Facebreaker. Hell, just take a look at Doomfletch--the "gain x% of physical damage as additional elemental damage" is identical to 110% more physical damage if you're looking just at the numbers and not the damage type. Even with the absurdly low base physical damage on Doomfletch, a friend of mine is handily clearing 74+ maps.

Applying this specifically to dual-wielding: it's not so much a case of elemental damage being "stronger" than physical damage as it is a case of flat damage and a "more" modifier interacting in very dangerous ways while it's trivial to stack absurd amounts of flat elemental damage (as previously mentioned, just look at Anger and Wrath).

Elemental damage is stronger,if u play low life with crown of eyes and all aura passives.
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/417287 - Poutsos Flicker Nuke Shadow

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info