Some newbie questions about game mechanics

Hey All,

I'm fairly new to this game and have some basic questions.

I started playing a marauder, and after finding an orange (legendary?) 2h sword, it was an easy step to fielding a 2h tanky one (I usually quest with a friend (who plays a witch, so we needed some tankiness, but wanted to still be able to solo, hence some points in 2h.)

After i reached higher levels i started to notice that i missed a lot of my attacks, so i invested in accuracy. However there is a skill that ignores enemy evade, as well as your crits. does this make accuracy pointless? or is there still a chance to miss (aka is accuracy based only on enemy evade? or are there more factors.

Also, does reduced Mana cost work when you are usign Bloodmagic?

I have only invested in 2h because i dont know what weapon is best for my build, and this way i can just use the best 2h weapon i find, without worrying about its type. Is this bad?

Thanks in advance, i will post my build shortly (once i figure out how to ;D)

Internettrol
Last edited by Internettrol on Feb 2, 2013, 8:29:41 AM
"
Internettrol wrote:
Hey All,

I'm fairly new to this game and have some basic questions.

I started playing a marauder, and after finding an orange (legendary?) 2h sword, it was an easy step to fielding a 2h tanky one (I usually quest with a friend (who plays a witch, so we needed some tankiness, but wanted to still be able to solo, hence some points in 2h.)

After i reached higher levels i started to notice that i missed a lot of my attacks, so i invested in accuracy. However there is a skill that ignores enemy evade, as well as your crits. does this make accuracy pointless? or is there still a chance to miss (aka is accuracy based only on enemy evade? or are there more factors.

Thanks in advance, i will post my build shortly (once i figure out how to ;D)

Internettrol

Yes, Resolute Technique makes accuracy and crit chance/damage pointless and it gives you a 100% chance to hit. And you are right that your accuracy is calculated against enemy evasion (and vice versa). Some enemies can block (quite rare though) so against those you have a chance to not deal any damage, although you'll still hit them. I'm not sure if some enemies can dodge as dodging is not the same as evasion (the passive keystone Acrobatics gives you a chance to dodge for example).

BTW, linking your build is quite easy. Just click on your character at the top left corner of the website, then click "passive tree" and then under the tree there will be a link which you can copy and paste to a forum message.

EDIT: Yes, reduced mana cost works with Blood Magic too. Remember that auras also consume your health so the ones which reserve a % are (usually) a no go with Blood Magic.

You shouldn't worry about offensive nodes at the beginning, especially if you go with Resolute Technique. For example, my 1h axe + shield Marauder is now level 44 and doing fine in Act 1 Cruel and I've taken only one offensive node (Berserking) in addition to Resolute Technique. Health is probably the most important thing you can take from the passive tree for a melee Marauder.
Last edited by aajiix on Feb 2, 2013, 8:34:07 AM
2H Tanky Marauder
This build is based on the fact that i don't need accuracy when using resolute technique
And that reduced Mana cost has an effect in combination with bloodmagic.
"
aajiix wrote:

Yes, Resolute Technique makes accuracy and crit chance/damage pointless and it gives you a 100% chance to hit. And you are right that your accuracy is calculated against enemy evasion (and vice versa). Some enemies can block (quite rare though) so against those you have a chance to not deal any damage, although you'll still hit them. I'm not sure if some enemies can dodge as dodging is not the same as evasion (the passive keystone Acrobatics gives you a chance to dodge for example).

BTW, linking your build is quite easy. Just click on your character at the top left corner of the website, then click "passive tree" and then under the tree there will be a link which you can copy and paste to a forum message.

EDIT: Yes, reduced mana cost works with Blood Magic too. Remember that auras also consume your health so the ones which reserve a % are (usually) a no go with Blood Magic.

You shouldn't worry about offensive nodes at the beginning, especially if you go with Resolute Technique. For example, my 1h axe + shield Marauder is now level 44 and doing fine in Act 1 Cruel and I've taken only one offensive node (Berserking) in addition to Resolute Technique. Health is probably the most important thing you can take from the passive tree for a melee Marauder.

Thanks a lot!, could you give me some pointers on my build? (i also edited my post while you wrote your reply, concerning 2h weapons and reduced mana cost, can you help me out again?
"
Internettrol wrote:
Thanks a lot!, could you give me some pointers on my build? (i also edited my post while you wrote your reply, concerning 2h weapons and reduced mana cost, can you help me out again?

You have quite a few offensive nodes so make sure you don't get them first. I'm not really an expert (have only one character) but I'd take the offensive nodes only when I start to feel too slow in killing stuff. And even then I'd try to upgrade my weapon first.

You also have many armor nodes. Maybe even a bit too many, I don't know. But I'd do the same with them, take them only when you feel you need more armor. Take into account that armor is _less_ effective against strong hitting enemies.

I see you've taken Unwavering Stance so I'd suggest considering going further to the right (into the Ranger nodes) and grab Iron Reflexes. You can't evade anyway so why not take all the evasion you have into good use. You could also grab one more Diamond Skin node from that direction.

I also feel you should not worry too much about reduced mana cost with Blood Magic. I use BM too and all I need have is a Life on Hit support gem and health regeneration. My health doesn't drop at all even if I constantly spam my skills with full mana cost.

Hope this helps.
new build after i saw i still had some points in accuracy plus the fact that i need reduced auro costs when using blood magics apperently.

2h Tanky Marauder V2
I imagined armor was more important the harder an enemy hit... it reduces damage % based, right?
Taking into account the fact that you didn't have any Mana problems I used those skillpoints to get that diamond skin you where talking about.

Thou i think that going for the one that turns invasion into armor is a waste. Since I'm only using Strength based gear (as my dexterity is about the same as an elderly women) I won't have any evasion to convert, right?

2h Tanky Marauder V3

Edit:
2h Tanky Marauder V4
Last edited by Internettrol on Feb 2, 2013, 8:58:40 AM
"
Internettrol wrote:
Taking into account the fact that you didn't have any Mana problems I used those skillpoints to get that diamond skin you where talking about.

Thou i think that going for the one that turns invasion into armor is a waste. Since I'm only using Strength based gear (as my dexterity is about the same as an elderly women) I won't have any evasion to convert, right?

2h Tanky Marauder V3

True, if you have only a little evasion, IR is not worth it. But if you go for IR, you'll pickup 60 dexterity on the way so you'll have at least 74 dex. That is enough for around level 50 str/dex hybrid armors which will be better than pure str armors if you have IR. But there is no one correct answer, do how you feel. :)

Also about armor, this is the calculation:

damage reduction by armor = armor / (armor + 12*damage)

So for example, if you have 1200 armor and the enemy hits with 100 damage, the damage will be reduced by 1200 / (1200 + 12*100) = 50%. You'd take 50 damage.

But if the enemy hits with 500 damage, the reduction is only 1200 / (1200 + 12*500) = ~17%. You'd take 417 damage.

In short: Armor is most usefull against packs of weak enemies. Evasion is most useful against lonely strong enemies (bosses). If you decide to stick with armor, I'd recommend picking up Endurance Charge nodes and use skills like Enduring Cry and Warlord's Mark. Each charge will give you a flat 5% physical damage reduction and 5% more elemental (not chaos) resistances, so they can help a lot if you can keep them up.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info