Is it just me or do maradaurs seem pigeon holed?

I really like tank roles and support roles in games, so marauder is my natural favorite.

I'm currently making my first mara build since closed beta. I must adimit I feel like I have no choice but to grab all the %health regen nodes I can find, all the resitances and endurance charge nodes. The marauder is really the only role that I can tell which is meant to do pure tanking. However I don't know, but I'm not liking how bad it looks for a pure tank marauder or even a beefy 2h marauder like what I'm building now.

But with the massive decrease in elemental resitances, I don't know If can do anything but force myself to get tons of endurance charges get all the resitance nodes I can and stack on the HP and %hp increases. Even grabbing all the resitance nodes I fear I might not be able to build my character the way I'd like without getting tons of resitance mods on my gear.

Maybe I'm wrong, I'm not that far yet, Im only level 32 on that character now, but Im not really convinced I am going to be able to tank late game at all even with the nodes I am likely going to be forced to take. Maybe it is viable, but it just seems like to me there is no room to deviate a marauder build if it is intended to tank.

Again I'm not the most amazing player but I just don't know if I should continue or simply start a new build that doesn't need to tank.
Alma 48:17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
Marauder relies heavily on gear. I'm currently on act 1 merciless with my marauder and I need my all five charges to stay alive against tougher mobs. I probably will be grinding ledge a lot if I want survive later.

This is my build atm
Last edited by Blah on Feb 2, 2013, 5:14:04 AM
True, if you wish to build a tank, you will go for +life and +regen nodes, and then probably for some +armor or even +block depending on what you're building. That is the nature of a tank build and is true regardless of class.

I don't feel the marauder is any more pigeonholed into tanking than a witch is into spells. He is close to many life/regen nodes, so for a tank he is the optimal choice, but you can build a caster marauder or a melee witch - I've done both.

That said, you won't be able to reach an "immortal tank" kind of char - PoE is just not that kind of game - builds vary in survivability but all are vulnerable in some way and all have some ways to dish out damage. For example, a 2h marauder isn't just a tank, he also deals a lot of damage.
Thanks for the feedback. I realize POE isn't an easymode game, I realize that even tanks need to think about positioning and proper use of skills. I just don't want to be 2 shotted by anything.

I guess we will see how I do in later levels. I haven't yet locked myself into a build too badly, I've taken a lot of strength nodes and life stats. I am locked into a fire damage 2h build, but It wouldn't take too many orbs of regret to change that if I wanted to go for a shield build or something else.

I'll see how it goes, and hope my loot drops favor my progression.
Alma 48:17
17 Yea, verily, verily I say unto you, if all men had been, and were, and ever would be, like unto Moroni, behold, the very powers of hell would have been shaken forever; yea, the devil would never have power over the hearts of the children of men.
If youre not building tanky on ALL roles then youre not going to have a good time....
HC focused ARPGs want you to die.
Anyone who has played an ARPG seriously in the past 20 years can tell you this.

For PoE build tank passive and just get some good supports for your skills. Lots of + phys dmg + elemental dmg + faster attack speed on any skill will own.
The gems really help considerably with teh amount of damage you can deal. Wayyyyyyyyy more then passives imo

Life on hit for your AoEs and life leach for hard hitting single targets I.E heavy strike

I'm level 41 and I've already got my end game goal.
only thing I'll have to change is the dual wielding aspect. Its fun but not Mara + no sheild doesnt seem to viable for me... havn't researched if +%chance to block works witgh DW blocking

just dont give up already! Keep it up and take your mara past 70.
Mass ele resist ,mass armor, mass Hp.
you coulddddd go evasion tank but there is still the chance to get 1 or 2 shot with bad luck
Always, Always, always get + hp and + ele res on your armor for late game or you will die...
best of luck my friend!
I'm playing a dual totem marauder, mostly using Shockwave Totem for damage, and it's going pretty well. Other options I can think of include an Exploding Arrow bow build, dual EA totems with Quill Rain, fire-based caster/tank, dual Firestorm totems, dual wield wands, dual flame totems with knockback talents + ignite + chance to flee + Puncture mines, or a minion build with totems and Dominating Blow.
The Amazon Basin: A Community of Friends Playing Games

http://www.theamazonbasin.com
My lightning mage marauder built with blood magic takes your pigeon hole and throws it out the window. Every build of every class has to be tanky, whether through life, armour, es, evasion or preferably any mix of those 2, as well has having solid resistances.

The noob glass cannons have to group because it is impossible for them to kill bosses, and they surely will not be able to do maps at all.

EDIT: filling rooms with sparks is so fun!
Last edited by Sir_LogiC on Feb 2, 2013, 8:47:15 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info