This economy is getting out of hand

Posted this rant on the trade section, never realized how fast pace that section was so i'll re post it here

I find it very sad that a stock (no quality) support gems are being asked for 1 GCP

in order to get 1 GCP it takes either a combination of gems that equal upto 40% or a skill gem with 20% quality. or its a rare drop (or a high end drop, I personally havnt seen it yet, but im only lvl 30+)

how do you get a spell totem gem? its a freaken quest reward. its not all that rare.

the only thing is that its a lvl 31 support gem and its only given out in cruel missions for rewards, and if someone wants to save time and get it early, they have to part with something so rare?

skill gems with quality on it are very rare, I could see those costing a 1-4 GCP depending on how much quality is on it.

but for a stock no quality reward? thats just insane.

I blame the people who actually was willing to trade for this and caused the inflation in the first place. its always the rich that ruin everything -_-;

the way things should be priced is by time and effort to obtain the item, and of course demand, but honestly I dont think the demand for a spell totem is so high that it would go up to a GCP, let alone 2 chaos orbs and 4 alchemy orbs, thats even more ridiculous
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/120959 My guides
evidently you must be new here. When we were in CB, it wasn't uncommon for spell totem to be sold for 1 gcp 1 regal to even 2 gcp. Though this said, 1 gcp was the bare minimum people would ask for it.

You've got no idea how popular the new dual totem builds are. literally. Demand has brought price back up to pre OB levels. Don't forget that it takes a long haul to obtain your own spell totem by leveling characters.

It is a build making support gem with popularity. Hence the price, owing to its usefulness and the demand.

Regards.

P.S. If somebody were to try selling other quest rewards for the wrong price, like any of the aura gems, demanding 2 chaos + for them, you'd be laughed off of the forum or trade chat. Most prices have already been determined by the end of CB and just have been carried over to OB. It's that simple.

-Exiled
1337 21gn17ur3
Last edited by ExiledToWraeclast on Feb 1, 2013, 11:48:29 PM
Demand/Supply, when (and if) nobody is willing to pay, price will come down. The whole fact that it is a "late" quest reward just goes to show you that people are willing to pay the price instead of questing for it themselves.

If price gets too high, people will indeed quest for it, which in return will end up lowering the price, until price stabilize because more people have it and thus less demand.

Also GCP's value isn't going up I believe, not many people are using em on gem, at least less GCP are used on gem as opposed to the one found.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/11707 -- Game Mechanics thread, answers to most of your questions.
I really don't see how it being a quest reward matters that much. If you wanted to farm your own spell totem gem via quest reward you would have earned 7-12 gcp equiv in the time it took you to level a templar almost through merc. Had you stuck with your main (who would by necessity be at minimum, the level capable of equipping a Spell totem before you decided to level an alt for the gem, you would actually be sitting at a net loss. It's a loss because you actually would have earned more than 8-13 gcp if you just kept playing your high level character, thus ofsetting whatever you think you would have saved from earning your own ST.

As far as I can tell, your argument amounts to something like "I don't know why firewood cost $200 per cord, if I had a day of time and a chainsaw and a tree I could just go cut the firewood myself.

**edit**
And it is impossible for this economy to get "out of hand" because the currency is non-fiat, intrinsically valuable currency. And after reading http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/55102 I'm not sure if even GGG grasps how elegant their currency system is because in that article, they never seemed to whack the main point with a sledge hammer.
Last edited by papakapp on Feb 2, 2013, 12:29:16 AM
Using the recipe for 40% quality on gems at the shops is a complete ripoff compared to individually selling skill gems to other players. All skill gems normally sell to players for at least an Alchemy Orb just for convenience (even lower skill gems). The higher level gems or the rarer gems go for up 1-2 GCP, while quality gems can go from 1-5 GCP depending on the skill.

Also note that while Totem may be a quest reward, there are more people using Totem then characters that get them for quest rewards. Totem is one of the best support gems in the game, hands down. This is why they cost so much if you are looking for one.

Just to clarify, never sell quality gems to a vendors. Each quality gem on its own is worth a few Alchemy Orbs to several GCP.
Last edited by Repeats on Feb 2, 2013, 12:33:47 AM
the higher level support gems awarded in cruel are given too late. I leveled a duelist specifically to get a faster attacks gem for my templar and I didn't get the lvl 31 gem until I was lvl 41. I don't remember if totem was the same, but if it is, getting a character all the way through normal and the first act of cruel for a single skill gem is worth at least a gcp.
that does depend on your skill gem though. at the end of CB I was saving any gem with 5% quality and turning in 8 at a time for a gcp. I of course sold any skill gem with quality having actual value, but I don't think ppl will pay much more for any gem not having 10+% quality or more.

Regards.
1337 21gn17ur3
Gems are in high demand. Wait a couple of months, when everyone already has every gem sitting in their stash and the most you'll get for a chain gem is 1 chaos.
IGN: Iolar
"
that does depend on your skill gem though. at the end of CB I was saving any gem with 5% quality and turning in 8 at a time for a gcp. I of course sold any skill gem with quality having actual value, but I don't think ppl will pay much more for any gem not having 10+% quality or more.

Regards.

Yes, and for good reason. Starting with 5% less quality on a gem means you're paying 5 gcp more to max it in the end, which is even more than what a 10% quality gem tends to be worth in the first place.
IGN: Iolar
dude read something about free market
IGN Crakk

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info