Article About the use of the word 'rape'

Obvious feminist article which first and foremost fails to realize that the word 'rape' has several definitions in the most prestigious English dictionaries:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape

(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 22, 2014, 10:35:25 AM
"
bhavv wrote:
Obvious feminist article which first and foremost fails to realize that the word 'rape' has several definitions in the most prestigious English dictionaries:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/rape

You know very well it has only 1 meaning today. [Removed by Support]

Why does it automatically have to be feminist btw? And its quite clear how it is meant when someone uses it ingame. [Removed by Support]
Nice conclusion jump. I have no problem, with the use of the word rape in a sentance. Speaking or hearing a word in conversation doesnt imply any connection to that word.

What exactly are you suggesting in support of this article? An outright ban on anyone ever saying the word rape? How would that work with the western idea of free speech?
(b) Personal abuse, foul language, inappropriate subject matter, obscene, harassing, threatening, hateful, or discriminatory or defamatory remarks of any nature ... are not permitted.

- PoE TOS.
it is a pretty touchy feely.
why not an article about every word we use to overstate the effect of something?

this is not a comment on 'rape culture' or justifying forcing yourself on women (it is wrong always), but we use many words that might evoke a particular feeling, exactly for that reason, rape isnt the only one that causes a flood of emotions in people with a particular connection to the word.

Hey...is this thing on?
"
Would you be ok with it if i call you the N-Word or if i deny the existence of the holocaust?

Yes I am ok with either of those, say whatever you want to.

Hint - Im not easily offended unlike you.

- PoE TOS.
Last edited by bhavv on May 22, 2014, 11:45:59 AM
"

You know very well it has only 1 meaning today. Nice finding out who is OK with rape though.

And to further expand upon this, no it absolutely doesnt.

When the word is used in video game culture, e.g. 'We raped the other team', it doesnt imply unconsensual forced sex. It means 'we beat them so bad'. Words in the English language never have a single meaning, and the use of words and their definitions are constantly evolving.

- PoE TOS.
I remember this thread some months ago.

Not worth this hassle again. Stop raping our beloved Off-Topic with this shit.
"
You know very well it has only 1 meaning today. Nice finding out who is OK with rape though.

[Removed by Support]
You won't get no glory on that side of the hole.
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on May 22, 2014, 1:51:43 PM
"
Upandatem wrote:
"
You know very well it has only 1 meaning today. [Removed by Support]

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Kieren_GGG on May 22, 2014, 1:56:27 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info