Hardcore in Diablo 3

In the Discussions I see again and again the claims that in Diablo 3 you always know why you died and it is your own fault. And that it is supposedly better than PoE.

I am just going to leave this here. http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/12878287975

Feel free to discuss, or not, this is just to share information.
“Demons run when a good man goes to war"
Hardcore in D3 or even D2 always sucked. Its a waste of time for those who dont have much time to play because you play for a long time and lose all progress. I love how in POE that it hurts that your char isnt in hardcore anymore but you dont lose all that progress.

In other words: HC sucks when you die to shitty connections and lag and what not.

PS: Alt f4/instant logout sucks just as much as dying in HC. 3 second timer please, GGG.
Did you see the word "BUG" in the subject line of that thread?

I don't see how an occasional bug in D2 relates to deliberate OHKO mechanisms in PoE? One could even argue that desync is not a bug, but a consequence of a deliberate design/architectural decision.

I only died one time in D2 HC due to something that wasn't a bug (like fire enchanted champions before they were fixed) or ISP issues on my part, and that was when one of the seal bosses (the demon one right before Diablo) was extra fast, extra strong and enchanted with the holy shock attack. He hit me once, nearly killed me, and instead of hitting the full rejuv potion, I wasted time on wondering whether I could get away being cheap and saving the potion. That cost me that character.

In PoE, in comparable situations you are either dead or you have to use AutoHotKey, which feels cheap and like cheating to me, but I did install it recently and setup a logout macro, since apparently GGG designs encounters with the expectation that players use it.

Yes, the HC in D2 was better than it is in PoE. PoE does many things well, and better, but D2 did HC well (took them a while, it had initially plenty of OHKO issues too).
"
Mivo wrote:
Did you see the word "BUG" in the subject line of that thread?

I don't see how an occasional bug in D2 relates to deliberate OHKO mechanisms in PoE? One could even argue that desync is not a bug, but a consequence of a deliberate design/architectural decision.

I only died one time in D2 HC due to something that wasn't a bug (like fire enchanted champions before they were fixed) or ISP issues on my part, and that was when one of the seal bosses (the demon one right before Diablo) was extra fast, extra strong and enchanted with the holy shock attack. He hit me once, nearly killed me, and instead of hitting the full rejuv potion, I wasted time on wondering whether I could get away being cheap and saving the potion. That cost me that character.

In PoE, in comparable situations you are either dead or you have to use AutoHotKey, which feels cheap and like cheating to me, but I did install it recently and setup a logout macro, since apparently GGG designs encounters with the expectation that players use it.

Yes, the HC in D2 was better than it is in PoE. PoE does many things well, and better, but D2 did HC well (took them a while, it had initially plenty of OHKO issues too).

I am not only reffering to the OP in that thread. Posts like

"
Does anyone playing HC actually dies from monsters?

"

Seems like most are Slain by Blizzard.

"
The highest I got on HC was level 59 after 6 attempts. Zero legit deaths out of those 6.

etc. seem rather familiar.
I don't know what the situation is now as I haven't played D2 in years. When I did play (until 2005), I had several L90+ HC characters in D2. I never had OHKO experiences after they had fixed FE champions, and I partly even played pretty risky stuff (like Lightning Nova sorcs), and all solo save for Baal runs.

I felt D2 was fairly predictable and you could learn from mistakes. This is also true for plenty of situations in PoE (e.g. reflect, Dominus' blood rain, porcupines, etc), but PoE also has a fair share of encounters and situations that are (seem to be) deliberately designed to lead to unavoidable death, regardless of what you do (other than logging out). This is why I feel D2 did HC better.

(HC players are notorious when it comes to blaming bugs for their mistakes, too. It's always lag, desync, crashes, disconnects, bugs, etc... and never played poorly, played recklessly, was unprepared, misjudged situations, etc. That makes HC related debates a bit tricky.)
"
Mivo wrote:
I don't know what the situation is now as I haven't played D2 in years. When I did play (until 2005), I had several L90+ HC characters in D2. I never had OHKO experiences after they had fixed FE champions, and I partly even played pretty risky stuff (like Lightning Nova sorcs), and all solo save for Baal runs.

I felt D2 was fairly predictable and you could learn from mistakes. This is also true for plenty of situations in PoE (e.g. reflect, Dominus' blood rain, porcupines, etc), but PoE also has a fair share of encounters and situations that are (seem to be) deliberately designed to lead to unavoidable death, regardless of what you do (other than logging out). This is why I feel D2 did HC better.

(HC players are notorious when it comes to blaming bugs for their mistakes, too. It's always lag, desync, crashes, disconnects, bugs, etc... and never played poorly, played recklessly, was unprepared, misjudged situations, etc. That makes HC related debates a bit tricky.)

I understand your point, but this is not about D2.
Oops! Sorry, somehow I read D2 the whole time. My bad.

I haven't played D3 HC more than a month when the game first came out and never picked it back up after I quit, also in the first month. I didn't enjoy the game, which is probably why my mind tends to read D3 mentions as D2.
"
Mivo wrote:
Oops! Sorry, somehow I read D2 the whole time. My bad.

I haven't played D3 HC more than a month when the game first came out and never picked it back up after I quit, also in the first month. I didn't enjoy the game, which is probably why my mind tends to read D3 mentions as D2.

Psychiatrists call this selective amnesia. ;)
"

I wonder if I can sue Blizzard for damaging my mental health by releasing D3! (I, in fact, almost experience physical pain and a gagging reflex whenever I type "D3"!)
"
Mivo wrote:
"

I wonder if I can sue Blizzard for damaging my mental health by releasing D3! (I, in fact, almost experience physical pain and a gagging reflex whenever I type "D3"!)

Uh, yea, lets do that after we sued them for our money back. Damnit i broke my cardinal rule to never buy a game on release. Should have read and watched about it and safe my money.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info