Attack speed vs crit chance

Say you have a weapon with 10% crit chance and 1.5 aps vs another weapon with a 8.5% crit chance and 1.9 aps - which would generate the most crits ?

Is it as simple as:
10% * 1.5 = 15 % crit chance / s
vs
8.5% * 1.9 = 16.15 % crit chance / s

Hejren / Triceps / Regnbuen / Sarinti / Striglen / Mareridt / Spoegelset / Doktoren / Dobbelganger / Skjoldtrold / Forkynderen
"
PaganDK wrote:
Say you have a weapon with 10% crit chance and 1.5 aps vs another weapon with a 8.5% crit chance and 1.9 aps - which would generate the most crits ?

Is it as simple as:
vs

Where did you learn such math? -_-
You are not allowed to multiply those values...

Do you understand what does critical chance mean?
When you hit enemy with weapon - critical roll occurs, to check whether you land a crit.strike or not
It doesn't matter, if you use
a) 50%crit\0.5aspd
OR
b) 5%crit\5aspd
weapon - the a) weapon will more likely get crit.strike with each attack

So basically, it a question of luck, and not attack speed.
You have more chances to get a crit.hit with first weapon

But in general, it may be better to use second weapon, just because of the higher rate of possibility to deliver crit.strike (you do more attacks per second, that's it)

So choose your problem (do you want more crits in general, more crits\second, more chances of crit, etc).
You can't simply measure "which would generate the most crits", just because you can have 0 crits per 1000 attacks (iirc, CritChance in PoE is NOT affected by entropy like Evasion)
Remember, suffering is convenient.
That is why many people prefer it.
Happiness requires effort.
"
HarukaTeno wrote:
"
PaganDK wrote:

Is it as simple as:
vs

Where did you learn such math? -_-

Hehe

Well I'm asking here, because I know there are people here who know more about math than me and giving an example (no matter how stupid it makes me look), would give me a better chance of a precise answer (although im not sure I like your answer in that regard - N.O.)

let's take 10 aps with a 10% crit chance

You mean that 10 attacks x 10% chance != 100% (which is true of course)

Just as 5 aps at 20% crit chance doesn't equal 100%.

I can follow that and suspected it wasn't at straight forward as in my example. But that doesn't mean there isn't a way to calculate which scenario would be best for achieving the most crits. Probabilities can be calculated and I'm just looking for a formula.
Hejren / Triceps / Regnbuen / Sarinti / Striglen / Mareridt / Spoegelset / Doktoren / Dobbelganger / Skjoldtrold / Forkynderen
the concept is correct, but more accurately, term it avg crit hit per second
10% * 1.5 = 0.15 crit/s
10% * 10 = 1 crit/s, just meaning on average you'll get 1 crit per second

you'll need the calculation on CoC

Master 8: All
CyclERa 93 TS/Puncture, CyclEWS 89 LL-ST
thread /463641 GMT+8
Answer here: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/922745
You can use the excel sheet to do the calculation for both configuration. Intuitively, I think b) is better, by a sensible margin.
Ranger builds list: /917964
When two witches watch two watches, which witch watches which watch?
If the witches watching watches watch the same watch while you watch which witch watches which watch, they switch watches; then, the watch switching witches watch which watch you watch.
Watching witches watch watches is not for the faint of heart...
I have not looked at the link posted above but the answer to which weapon is better always depends on what stats you already have.

If you want detailed help you always should provide detailed info for us :-)
IGN: Btch

The Scream http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1282942
Immaculate Forest Hideout http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1092016
"
Lars30 wrote:
I have not looked at the link posted above but the answer to which weapon is better always depends on what stats you already have.

If you want detailed help you always should provide detailed info for us :-)

ok :)

----

So to sum up. My simple math wasn't too far off for calculating chance of crits (and yes this is for a CoC char).

I'm trying to determine which dagger to use and to determine which passives would be better for achieving more crits (either faster attacks nodes or crit nodes).

dagger1: 8,75% - 1,97 aps (8,75%*1,97 = 17,24%)
dagger2: 9,56% - 1,71 aps (9,56%*1,71 = 16,35%)

I have been using dagger2, but applying my simple math dagger1 should have better crit chance overall. However if I went for primarily crit nodes (which I did), dagger2 might be better. Right?

In regards to attack speed vs crit nodes:
The faster dagger benefits more from faster attack nodes right?
A higher base crit would benefit more from crit nodes?

I'm wondering if this is linear or there is a point where choosing for instance faster attacks would be better than choosing a crit node.

Last edited by PaganDK on May 19, 2014, 8:44:17 AM
Also keep in mind that high attack speed will increase your mana consumption.
If you leech mana that's not an issue but if you're relying on regeneration it's worth considering.
I tried dual wand both with 10% local crit and barrage based CoC trigger.

say around 30% critical chance it shows in the Offence tab.

once in a second my barrage always triggers my CoC .. unless the rare boss is "evasive".

so.... say 90% chance to hit and 40% crit chance and 3 attacks per second with GMP/LMP is seems worth, because at least one projectile crits

"
Cycl3 wrote:
the concept is correct, but more accurately, term it avg crit hit per second
10% * 1.5 = 0.15 crit/s
10% * 10 = 1 crit/s, just meaning on average you'll get 1 crit per second

you'll need the calculation on CoC

Or "expected number of critical hits per second," but yes this is correct.
IGN: SplitEpimorphism

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info