Rebalancing Internal Unique Item Rarities (Locked June 16)

"
GreenGuy wrote:
*Made it easier to link items so everyone has a 6L (supposed to be rare)

"
Worldbreaker wrote:
6 linking (which is MUCH easier)

After about 600 - 700 hours I think, I have never been able to find or craft a 6L item, so yeah, I don't know what you're talking about here...

I have yet to find good gear that would let me go for maps and over level 80 because right now, I can't stay alive for long and I don't have 2 hours a day to spend on trading.

Also mf is not possible with the gear I have so I think the game is still pretty darn hard for people who have a life or don't trade in my opinion.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PeipeMasta
"
DjParagon wrote:
"
GreenGuy wrote:
*Made it easier to link items so everyone has a 6L (supposed to be rare)

"
Worldbreaker wrote:
6 linking (which is MUCH easier)

After about 600 - 700 hours I think, I have never been able to find or craft a 6L item, so yeah, I don't know what you're talking about here...

This is because you're wasteful. If you actually went about it intelligently you could simply get the item you want to link, Use ~80 fuse on it until it EITHER 5L's or 6L's, if it 5L's then sell it for the original value of the item+2ex(forum posts don't take 2 hours a day) then buy another similar unlinked item with the currency, repeat until it 6L's at which point you would have lost nothing at all and have a 6L.

I can tell you for a fact that I've crafted dozens of 6L's and all the cry babies that say it's too hard are simply wasteful. You get extremes sometimes like taking 1800 fusings before a 6L but it doesn't matter cost wise at all. The majority of 6L's are made in less than 400 fusings.
Well, it is kinda hard for a normal person to get 400 fusing.

I can tell you that I probably never had 80 fusing in my entire career.

I think I wasted about 40 or 50. 400 ? Yeah good luck having a job and finding that I guess, but thanks for the infos.
"
DjParagon wrote:
Well, it is kinda hard for a normal person to get 400 fusing.

I can tell you that I probably never had 80 fusing in my entire career.

I think I wasted about 40 or 50. 400 ? Yeah good luck having a job and finding that I guess, but thanks for the infos.

It baffles me how you could play for 600-700 hours and only use 40-50 fusings, never getting even 80... Sorry but those numbers don't line up. Do you even identify rares before you vendor them? Are you aware that the vendors can convert your alterations into fusings?

You're telling me you only get 1 fusing every 8+ hours you play? (640 hours/80fusings=8 hours per fusing)

If you're saying that you've never had 80 fusings at any one time and not 80 total in your entire career then your numbers might make more sense but I'm still not sure how that could be the case either in 600-700 hours of gameplay. You must use every fuse on a different piece of 5s gear the instant you get the fusing or something.
Last edited by GreenGuy on May 19, 2014, 11:00:53 AM
Ha ha, yeah I'm wondering myself, no I never had more than I think 30 40ish in my inventory. Probably got that 80 in my life time. And yes, 1 or two fus a day is about my rate, and I usually use them to get 4L gear.

Man I play here and there since closed beta so there has been a lot of changes, character wipes, skills updates, etc... Kind of hard to keep a character at that time.

About the vendor recipes, I was not aware of it since this year I think, I used to keep everything. Also, I play solo, slow paced, and never did magic find runs. The most rarity I ever had was probably 60 - 70% but was so underpowered it did not stay long.

Maybe the luck wheel will turn some day !
 To GreenGuy, Worldbreaker, and all others who think that GGG is making PoE too easy, I say that you have never run a business and had to make payroll every week. Face it uber-arpg dudes, if GGG kept to their uber hardcore ideals then the player base would be so low that GGG would not have the finances needed to stay in business. You guys are the 1% of the top 2% of the uber-hardcore, love to grind forever to find anything of value, arpg players. Are you planning on putting up a million dollars to finance GGG for a few months. At around 50 employees, you do the math if the average salary is approx $30,000 (I'm probably way low) + all other operating expenses.

Already millions have tried PoE and quit for similar reasons that millions quit original D3. Grinding for gear is expected for sure, but grinding for upper 100s and 1000s of hours with nothing much to show for it is a "WTF, this isn't fun" for most (one reason for millions that have quit) so GGG has to up the quality unique drop rates or suffer the same fate as original D3. It's even worse for GGG as PoE is free-to-play and thus they don't get paid up front and only by being happy players are we likely to buy any points. I'm on record with 2 of my posts to become a Champion Supporter as soon as item progression is better in the 50 to 100 levels. There are only just so many low level uniques that you can use for power leveling and then seeing more of them is maddening. Trash drops after trash drops is what killed D3 and for GGG to repeat here in PoE is a lesson not learned from Blizzard and a repeat failure.

Other point in favor of upping the drop rate of higher tier uniques is that of build diversity. A lot of players complain that build diversity is down as content difficulty slowly spirals up on the 4 month leagues to keep the veterans challenged. As the difficulty bar goes up the builds that can clear the bar and work in maps become fewer and fewer. So for builds that require a certain unique item to work in the endgame (or even in Merciless) we have to be able to acquire them more readily to even want to keep on playing PoE. Build diversity is what sets PoE apart from all other arpgs (and makes PoE better than the rest IMHO) with the ability to theory craft and then play a huge variety of builds. So we need more of the better gear to fulfill our desire to play a new build to the endgame.

Riding the PoE merry-go-round (the grinding game) is only fun for so long and if we (the 98%) can't ever grab the brass ring once in a while then there is no point to committing any major time to playing PoE and thus no reason to stay long term and financially support GGG.
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
Arrowneous wrote:
 To GreenGuy, Worldbreaker, and all others who think that GGG is making PoE too easy, I say that you have never run a business and had to make payroll every week. Face it uber-arpg dudes, if GGG kept to their uber hardcore ideals then the player base would be so low that GGG would not have the finances needed to stay in business. You guys are the 1% of the top 2% of the uber-hardcore, love to grind forever to find anything of value, arpg players. Are you planning on putting up a million dollars to finance GGG for a few months. At around 50 employees, you do the math if the average salary is approx $30,000 (I'm probably way low) + all other operating expenses.

Already millions have tried PoE and quit for similar reasons that millions quit original D3. Grinding for gear is expected for sure, but grinding for upper 100s and 1000s of hours with nothing much to show for it is a "WTF, this isn't fun" for most (one reason for millions that have quit) so GGG has to up the quality unique drop rates or suffer the same fate as original D3. It's even worse for GGG as PoE is free-to-play and thus they don't get paid up front and only by being happy players are we likely to buy any points. I'm on record with 2 of my posts to become a Champion Supporter as soon as item progression is better in the 50 to 100 levels. There are only just so many low level uniques that you can use for power leveling and then seeing more of them is maddening. Trash drops after trash drops is what killed D3 and for GGG to repeat here in PoE is a lesson not learned from Blizzard and a repeat failure.

Other point in favor of upping the drop rate of higher tier uniques is that of build diversity. A lot of players complain that build diversity is down as content difficulty slowly spirals up on the 4 month leagues to keep the veterans challenged. As the difficulty bar goes up the builds that can clear the bar and work in maps become fewer and fewer. So for builds that require a certain unique item to work in the endgame (or even in Merciless) we have to be able to acquire them more readily to even want to keep on playing PoE. Build diversity is what sets PoE apart from all other arpgs (and makes PoE better than the rest IMHO) with the ability to theory craft and then play a huge variety of builds. So we need more of the better gear to fulfill our desire to play a new build to the endgame.

Riding the PoE merry-go-round (the grinding game) is only fun for so long and if we (the 98%) can't ever grab the brass ring once in a while then there is no point to committing any major time to playing PoE and thus no reason to stay long term and financially support GGG.

The ONLY reason most of us came here was for a hardcore ARPG. I don't give a flying fuck about the %98. There are so many other games that do easy better and without PoE's flaws. This game wouldn't have got off the god damn ground if they hadn't false advertised it as niche/hardcore. The only thing that was/is (for now) hardcore is the grind

Name one thing that's "hardcore" about PoE, other than the grind?

I just wanted to get my voice heard, it's been heard, good bye.
"
Worldbreaker wrote:
The ONLY reason most of us came here was for a hardcore ARPG. I don't give a flying fuck about the %98. There are so many other games that do easy better and without PoE's flaws. This game wouldn't have got off the god damn ground if they hadn't false advertised it as niche/hardcore. The only thing that was/is (for now) hardcore is the grind

Name one thing that's "hardcore" about PoE, other than the grind?

I just wanted to get my voice heard, it's been heard, good bye.

I wasn't trying to say that your point of view was wrong (although I don't subscribe to it), only that for a company to cater to that tiny of an arpg audience would be financial suicide. Being on the hardcore end of the arpg spectrum is good for PoE and makes for better play than RoS and others, but going off the hardcore cliff isn't smart either so GGG has to take two or three steps back to be safe.

Edit: There are other posts where players state that an arpg with huge grind time does not make for a hardcore arpg. Excessive grind for gear is one of the big reasons D3 failed and flame wars erupted and GGG knows this and should not be making the same mistakes with PoE. On the other end of the spectrum is TL2 and loot overload is equally bad and main reason why I'm not playing it anymore (TL2=RoSI: Rain of Set Items).
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
Last edited by Arrowneous on May 19, 2014, 3:59:30 PM
"
Arrowneous wrote:

In my opinion, if you want to make money on a game you should try to retain your players for as long as possible. You're suggesting that they have to make the game super easy or else 98% of players will quit playing. Making drops too common might sound fun to you now but it will make players get bored in the long run. The reason you play the game is because you have the idea that some day you'll find a "really good drop" or two which you can use to fund all those build ideas you've been throwing around (or something similar to that). If suddenly every other player has a "really good drop" then suddenly your drop isn't worth so much.

Things aren't fun anymore when you have nothing to strive for. Have you ever played a game with cheats such as infinite money, invulnerable, etc? Making the game too easy just makes each individual player play for less time because they'll get bored faster.

Also, you shouldn't feel entitled to have all of the best items in the game. The very best items are not required to succeed and the build diversity speech is just annoying. The reason there is such a small amount of build diversity atm is because players are lazy and look at what their friends are playing or whatever is the cheapest and most rewarding. Unfortunately the cheapest and most rewarding builds are pretty much all built around exploits like snapshotting.

To all the SF babies out there:
Please go play some other game if you really care about being able to craft the best items in the game and find all the best gear within a few hours of playing. Don't come to this game and ruin my 500 hours of enjoyment so you can have 5 hours. This is pretty much the same as the tale of the goose that lays golden eggs.
Last edited by GreenGuy on May 19, 2014, 7:09:21 PM
"
Arrowneous wrote:

This........

I consider a hardcore player myself, i have more them 1300 hours of gameplay in poe since release, and i play MF most of the time, and i have about 400-500 ex in stuff, considering the grind time, and that i have really hight MF, its not much. Likeing u or not, the 2% ubber hardcore no lifers are not enought to sustain the game, they need the casuals and normal hardcore players to pay the bills, so, the option would b, increase drops on standard, and kp drops really low on leagues, ubber hardcore players usually dont play standard anyway, and casual players dont care about the ladders anyway...............everyone will b happy
Last edited by andrehbg on May 19, 2014, 10:10:08 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info