Has to be a better way...

I have been messing around in the two week charity Invasion/Ambush combo league and man, it is pretty damn fun! My first foray into hardcore mode playing PoE and I think I might be hooked.

...but there is something about this game and the shorter leagues/race events that troubles me:

Acquisition of Skill Gems.

It really stinks to have a build at least partially planned out, but either not have direct access to key skill gems via quests, or your access to the gem is buried in a quest much later in the game.

I think this game as a whole(but especially these shorter leagues/races) could benefit from some sort of vendor that sells any and all skill gems for currency. Make these vendor gems unable to be flipped at level 20 and unable to be hit with GCP. These vendor gems will never have access to "quality" status, but the tradeoff is: at least you get to play your character/build with access to all of the skills needed for it to flourish, and for us as players to have fun!

Outside of skill gem acquisition, the two week Invasion League is a riot! Thanks GGG for putting it together!
Last edited by Matuzak on May 13, 2014, 8:31:28 PM
That actually sounds like a work-able idea!
I like it.
~ Adapt, Improvise and Overcome
Vendor that sell regular gems that are corrupted (not vaal gems)
RAAAAAAAA!

(╯ಠ益ಠ)╯︵ ┻━┻ ︵ ǝ︵ o︵ d

I'm out.
I feel like the current system is designed with the short races in mind.
Planning and working within set but restricted resources makes the races very interesting and GGG retains a framework they can balance around.

For longer leagues the current system drives me nuts.
I feel really restricted in my first character and build choices, especially because of the reduced mana gem.
The gem strong boxes seem to help out quite a bit, maybe that is all we need.

When I kill a man he stays dead.
You can also trade with other players or make a character that gets the gems you need as quest rewards

A templar, for instance, has access to the reduced mana gem and can level quickly with searing bond.
Theorycrafter/Build Creator for PORTAL guild
@BlightScourge -> guide @ view-thread/1382667 (Retired till Mjolner is fixed)
Lvl 94 Crit Mjolner Marauder
twitch.tv/savagewolves

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info