Looking for game research participants

Anyone who plays games has heard a lot about the research into video game addiction. I’ve read most of it, and I’ve found that there’s the idea that spending a lot of time playing or thinking about games makes a person addicted. I think it’s more complicated than that, and I’m looking for other people’s experiences to help me to make that argument.

I’m looking for anyone who a) is at least 18 years old and b) plays video games. What type of games you play doesn’t matter; World of Warcraft, Call of Duty, Bejeweled or whatever else you play are all useful, and whether you play on a console, a computer or on your smart phone, I’d like to hear your honest responses to questions about your game play habits and mental health. The survey is designed so that your answers will be kept anonymous.

If you participate, you can choose to be entered in a drawing for one of several $20 Amazon gift cards. The odds of winning one of the cards is one in a hundred and eighty.

If you’re interested, follow the link at https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/KHWS3P2 and fill the survey out. It takes between fifteen and twenty minutes, depending on how fast you click.

Drew Zaitsoff
Indiana University
Counseling Psychology Doctoral Candidate
DId that.. but I missed some textbox in the end, where you could specify or mention some things just for clarification.
In this survey there were quite I few answers I had to give... that might in this circumstance look like gaming makes me depreeesed or stuff.
Thing is: I actually suffer from depressant episodes and a general panic / anxiety disorder.. which I have for more than half of my life now... I am 44 so... my days already were like I answered in the survey long ago I started playing games excessively.
"Ta-Ta, not-a-cockroach"
Done. I had to answer as best I can seeing I'm from a different country. :P

Also Question 52 and 53 are the same.
"
cyranorick wrote:
DId that.. but I missed some textbox in the end, where you could specify or mention some things just for clarification.
In this survey there were quite I few answers I had to give... that might in this circumstance look like gaming makes me depreeesed or stuff.
Thing is: I actually suffer from depressant episodes and a general panic / anxiety disorder.. which I have for more than half of my life now... I am 44 so... my days already were like I answered in the survey long ago I started playing games excessively.

I appreciate your responses, and your clarification. I think there's an element of "chicken and the egg" that needs to be sussed out in this research.

"
Brotherhawk wrote:
Done. I had to answer as best I can seeing I'm from a different country. :P

Also Question 52 and 53 are the same.

Different countries are fine! And thank you for the catch on 52/53.
"
BizarreEcho wrote:
I’ve found that there’s the idea that spending a lot of time playing or thinking about games makes a person addicted.

What a bunch of bs, you come here & write that?

I play along: I’ve found that there’s the idea that spending a lot of time shooting or thinking about guns makes a person violent.
That's your thesis? Oh boy
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌
"
lolibusxd wrote:
"
BizarreEcho wrote:
I’ve found that there’s the idea that spending a lot of time playing or thinking about games makes a person addicted.

What a bunch of bs, you come here & write that?

I play along: I’ve found that there’s the idea that spending a lot of time shooting or thinking about guns makes a person violent.

"
TheWretch wrote:
That's your thesis? Oh boy

I agree with you, the idea that playing games a lot makes you addicted is way to simplistic. That's why I'm trying to complicate the issue with the idea that you can play a lot without having trouble in school or work. It's actually not a point of view you see reflected very often in research.

"
Completed, and shared on my facebook. Some of the answers may be misleading, though, since gamers have other reasons to be depressed/stressed/etc. In my case, health. Other than that, I couldn't be happier. ^_^

Best of luck with your candidature!

Thanks so much! The quality of life scale actually includes a measure for physical health that I can look at separately from emotional health, so I should be able to get pretty specific.
completed the survey ;)
"
Coal48 wrote:
completed the survey ;)

Thank you!
Completed the survey. No area for comments that I saw.

Clarification as my amount of playing video games is directly subjective to how I am feeling that day. I have RSD/CRPS as well as an issue with my brain and fibromyagia and most of the time playing video games distracts me enough to be able to focus out of the pain. Gaming is not related to my depression issues, rather it is a life saver that has helped focus me out of depression and being anti-social because of the huge amounts of pain I have daily. Would I game this much if I wasn't sick? No, probably not because then I could work and leave the house rather than stuck inside and not able to do much.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.”
—Leo Buscaglia

Contact support@grindinggear.com to report issues relating to the game or forum. Thanks!

My beloved pets....

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info