[2.0] THOR'S RAINBOWNUKE: DO ALL MAPS, UBER ATZIRI, AND EXPLOSIONS!

Its good to see the main build page updated to 2.0 :)

On the topic of tips, I'd like to briefly explain how to place your lightning spells in Mjolner. Basically, the order in which Mjolner cast the spells depends on the location of the gems. As Mjolner has 3 sockets, the order of casting when Mjolner procs is as follows: 1) Top Left, 2) Top Right, 3) Bottom Right.

As Mjolner only uses two spells (Arc and Discharge), I'll explain the ideal order.

For the base Rainbownuke variation, which uses RT and is non-crit, you will want arc to get casted before discharge. Basically, by having Arc to proc first, you will will generate an additional power charge before discharge even gets casted. By doing so, you ensure that you will always have at least 2 power charges before discharging and you also more likely to get 4 power charges before discharging.

If for some weird reason, you decide to go crit, the ideal set up is for Discharge to get cast before Arc. I am not going to go in-depth into explaining why this is so, because this build isnt typically meant to be a crit build.
Has anyone tested the difference between legacy and non-legacy mjolner?
"
Has anyone tested the difference between legacy and non-legacy mjolner?

I'm happy to do the testing if someone has a new mjolner they want to loan me for the comparison, but I'm not too keen on spending 35-40 ex to do it.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
"
chattokung wrote:

My Gear slot is exactly the same as you am playing on 1.3 server

What Gem do you put on the Head Armor Boot and GLove

How you socket your gems is really up to you, which is why I made no mention of it beyond just listing my example gear in the OP.

In case you missed it, here's how I have my gem setup

If you desire to use your 6L Shavs for socketing your attack instead of auras, you can just use your 4L's for your various aura setups and can add either Curse on Hit/Elemental Weakness (or Curse on Hit + Warlord's Mark if you have a RRRGGB Shavs) or Fortify/Added Lightning Damage (again, if RRRGGB) to your main attack link.
Last edited by tackle70 on Jul 25, 2015, 9:52:44 AM
"
iSo1iD wrote:
Its good to see the main build page updated to 2.0 :)

On the topic of tips, I'd like to briefly explain how to place your lightning spells in Mjolner. Basically, the order in which Mjolner cast the spells depends on the location of the gems. As Mjolner has 3 sockets, the order of casting when Mjolner procs is as follows: 1) Top Left, 2) Top Right, 3) Bottom Right.

As Mjolner only uses two spells (Arc and Discharge), I'll explain the ideal order.

For the base Rainbownuke variation, which uses RT and is non-crit, you will want arc to get casted before discharge. Basically, by having Arc to proc first, you will will generate an additional power charge before discharge even gets casted. By doing so, you ensure that you will always have at least 2 power charges before discharging and you also more likely to get 4 power charges before discharging.

If for some weird reason, you decide to go crit, the ideal set up is for Discharge to get cast before Arc. I am not going to go in-depth into explaining why this is so, because this build isnt typically meant to be a crit build.

Not only that, but Arc has an innate chance to shock without the use of any nodes on the tree or jewel affixes, too. Quality Arc is another 10% chance to shock for 20% total, and getting enemies shocked before Discharge goes off means they'll take more damage when the main nuke is launched.
Going to see if I can put together a life version of this build for those who want more of a 'budget build' and can't afford to go total low-life. It obviously won't put out the amount of DPS the LL variant will, but I've been messing around with some ideas and just need to get a Scion up to level 90 or so and then I'll be able to see if my proof of concept holds water for what I think will work.
Wonder whether anyone did uber with this so far, trying to decide between life-based and low-life.
"
HARVONI wrote:
Wonder whether anyone did uber with this so far, trying to decide between life-based and low-life.

I have not done uber myself so far in 2.0. I didn't have much difficulty with Uber Deathless in 1.3, but I *think* that the Trio might be a problem in 2.0 due to the Immortal Call nerfs, because I died to them a couple times in 79 Vaal Temple maps in 2.0. I know that's not exactly apples to apples, but it does mean that I think you will not be able to do Uber Deathless in 2.0 with this build unless you are very skilled in the Trio fight. Uber Atziri herself is unlikely to be much of a problem.

My recommendation is that if you are serious about farming Uber a lot, that you find one of the (various) other Mjolner Rainbownuke variants which is specifically tuned for farming Uber. If you are more interested in mapping and Uber is just a curiosity / occasional thing for you, then this variant is likely better.

Life based variants using Kingsguard are simply not going to be able to get a sufficient Life pool together to be able to handle the most difficult of maps without increased risk of death compared to this Low Life variant. In the most difficult maps you are going to get hit for 4-6k from regular old blue and rare mobs and if your total health pool is just 5.5-6k, you're going to eventually get yourself killed.

Once I hit level 100 (which may take me a couple months), I'll try and test a life based variant on my level 90 Scion for a more apples-to-apples comparison.
Last edited by tackle70 on Jul 25, 2015, 6:22:58 PM
I think a possible variant for doing uber, if you have problems with trio, would be going iron reflex with grace + artic armor. That way you should get a good physical damage reduction. I didnt' test it out yet but you'll have to drop alot of damage. It Needs 5 skill point to get iron reflex and i wouldnt drop any ES node.
"
tackle70 wrote:
"
HARVONI wrote:

I have not done uber myself so far in 2.0. I didn't have much difficulty with Uber Deathless in 1.3, but I *think* that the Trio might be a problem in 2.0 due to the Immortal Call nerfs, because I died to them a couple times in 79 Vaal Temple maps in 2.0. I know that's not exactly apples to apples, but it does mean that I think you will not be able to do Uber Deathless in 2.0 with this build unless you are very skilled in the Trio fight. Uber Atziri herself is unlikely to be much of a problem.

My recommendation is that if you are serious about farming Uber a lot, that you find one of the (various) other Mjolner Rainbownuke variants which is specifically tuned for farming Uber. If you are more interested in mapping and Uber is just a curiosity / occasional thing for you, then this variant is likely better.

Life based variants using Kingsguard are simply not going to be able to get a sufficient Life pool together to be able to handle the most difficult of maps without increased risk of death compared to this Low Life variant. In the most difficult maps you are going to get hit for 4-6k from regular old blue and rare mobs and if your total health pool is just 5.5-6k, you're going to eventually get yourself killed.

Once I hit level 100 (which may take me a couple months), I'll try and test a life based variant on my level 90 Scion for a more apples-to-apples comparison.

Thanks for your insight; been following your work in this thread and really appreciate all the testing you've done.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info