Low life offers to great benefits and is unique gated.

Ya know, I've always thought it would be neat to have a keystone like..

"+25% maximum chaos resistance/ -10% all maximum elemental resistances"

Would make chaos immunity without CI possible, but you're gonna bust your ass to get it, and become super weak to ele damage in the process.
IGN: Smegmazoid
Long live the new Flesh
Yeah, my build isn't good for hardcore. It could be possible, but if I was doing it I'd use a Solaris Lorica to make it easy.

You miscalculated my chaos resist on my gear. 29% helm, 34% ring, 41% ring --> 104% less 60% is 44% in merciless. Passives have 45% available so maxing it isn't so hard. I have 87 or 88% (depending on gem level) all resists as well with all the purity auras and shield, which along with the witch flask nodes can give me ~5 seconds of elemental immunity on a use of a resistance utility flask (20% quality + belt duration bonus). I switch flasks when needed, but usually just run with 1 each element. In addition to 70% aura effect giving me 6 max resist from purities, I get quite a lot of ES from Discipline and a lot of mana regen from clarity. Level 17 Arctic Armour makes me immune to thing like Voidbearers and flame sentinels (I was laughing as a flame sentinel kept shooting me in a map and couldn't do an damage...hadn't tested it before that). And blocking a third of spell damage keeps me pretty sturdy. But yeah, the play style is cautious and I try to avoid getting hit by keeping my distance. I was quite proud though the first time I soloed the Dunes map that I could kill the boss despite the danger of the spawns leaving poison clouds.

I'm a little confused that you said you are ok with gated builds as long as high end rares could do the job as well. What's gated about high end rares?

I agree there should be a way to get higher max chaos resist. Even if it's temporary like giving +10 max chaos resist on Amethyst flasks, it would make aa huge difference.
Guild Leader The Amazon Basin <BASIN>
Play Nice and Show Some Class www.theamazonbasin.com
"
I'm a little confused that you said you are ok with gated builds as long as high end rares could do the job as well. What's gated about high end rares?

High-end rares are gated behind the layers of RNG needed to acquire them, not to mention the specific requirements to have all rares together add up to nullify the danger inherent in your build design. (in this particular case high end ES/life gear that also has chaos resistance on it)

The problem that exist's today is that even if you posses that high-end gear, a low-life build is still not possible due to the high end chaos hits being to big.

(like i mentioned earlier, the highest chaos hit pre act3x was a chaos poison bomb detonation hit, this did around 340 dps with 64 chaos resistance if i am not mistaken, this means a total of 1200+- hp is required to go low-life and still survive a single hit of this source allowing you to recuperate after sustaining it. However with the new introduced high end hits the low-life curve is at around 1000hp +- LOW-LIFE value, in theory you would need around 3500hp to achieve this and still need points to spend in energy shield to sustain other forms of damage. = Impossible given the current amount of passive points and gear in the game.)

My build for instance has around 1750hp (450 low life i think) and 4300 energy shield. And it was hardcore viable. Now imagine how much ES i would be able to attain if i have to raise that bar to 3500hp. Mind you, my build has very little to put in offensive passives due to the limitations of this build, most of the benefits are from "low-life" buffs to recover what i had lost from passive tree investment.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
Boem wrote:

--- 1 ---

There is a lot of challenge in avoiding chaos damage and getting one-shot ko, agreed.

And my build worked and was "hardcore viable", i don't think the same can be said from marks build given the current set-up.(I can agree if he dropped the MF gear he has a chance to make it hardcore viable i suppose? But then what is the point of his build going low-life?)

--- 2 ---

This thread is about the underlying mechanic and how it can no longer be utilized in a reasonable fashion in a hardcore setting without shavronnes.

--- 3 ---

(not to mention his build is clearly a ambush/standard mf character that would never be constructed in hardcore/invasion. And that's not a qq standard vs hardcore comment. That's a legit observation when considering the viability of a build)

Come to think of it, i wonder why you posted LazerTechnoBuddha. Other then waste my and yours time, you didn't contribute anything to this thread other then assumptions, wrong ones at that.

because i was interested in your answer, and i got it... and you obviously took your time to respond to it, so something in my post must have been worth taking the time to respond

i removed some parts of your post for readability

--- 1 ---

so you agree it might be possible, but without the MF, meaning all the other benefits would still be there.. whats the point of nerfing all those abilities, if you dont think they offer any bonus?

--- 2 ---

maybe low-life was never intended to be HC viable? maybe shavronnes was introduced to make it HC viable?

removing 2/3 of your HP will never be a good idea in HC

high reward should have a high risk IMO, just like super rare and powerful uniques like shavronne should give a massive advantage. why else would you want them?

there are loads of powerful uniques in this game, and shavronne is one them, and like many others here i think its ok to have powerful uniques. invasion is a bad example as only a very few (pre-nerf atleast) builds are truly viable.

and before you claim in just trying to protect my investment, i am one those people who cant afford a shavronne and im ok with that, i still like its in the game

--- 3 ---

im sorry you think i wasted your time, but that was the feeling i got from reading your thread. you yourself said you liked a challenge, and you yourself said his build might be viable if you removed the mf, please state why i am so wrong and wasting both our time for questioning your motives on this?
ign HC: Arnold_Schwarzeneger
ign Nemesis: Svamp_i_fugen
"
so you agree it might be possible, but without the MF, meaning all the other benefits would still be there.. whats the point of nerfing all those abilities, if you dont think they offer any bonus?

The gained benefit from those bonuses requires a nerf if the low-life cap is adjusted, this is clear if you read my OP, since i mention suggestion 1 cannot be implemented without implementing suggestion 2.

The bonuses are fair how they are now, considering the investment. However the investment is unviable in a "rare item only" build. And this is part of the issue.

How do we keep the interesting low-life mechanic in the game without gating it behind a unique only modifier. (aka chaos damage cannot bypass energy shield)

The only solution to this current situation imo is upping the low-life cap so a "rare item" build is capable of reserving to low-life status while still retaining enough buffer on the ES part to sustain other sources of damage reliably.

(worth mentioning that the rare-item requirement can consist of mirror worthy top-tier items, i have no issue with that, as long as it remains an option to do it with rare-items shavronnes is removed from BiS status and low-life is no longer gated like it is now)

"
maybe low-life was never intended to be HC viable? maybe shavronnes was introduced to make it HC viable?

removing 2/3 of your HP will never be a good idea in HC

high reward should have a high risk IMO, just like super rare and powerful uniques like shavronne should give a massive advantage. why else would you want them?

there are loads of powerful uniques in this game, and shavronne is one them, and like many others here i think its ok to have powerful uniques. invasion is a bad example as only a very few (pre-nerf atleast) builds are truly viable.

and before you claim in just trying to protect my investment, i am one those people who cant afford a shavronne and im ok with that, i still like its in the game

Not sure if you are serious?

Let me clarify that statement, i already stated low-life was hardcore viable pre act3x release and the addition of high chaos spike damage.
Low life was already viable pre-introduction of shavronnes. . .(both in standard and hardcore)

The only thing shavronnes achieves is that it allows a cheesy way of achieving low-life.
As in "slap on shavronnes and go low-life" neglecting all the other requirements usually associated with low-life builds.

Why do you think it is so popular lol?
Simply because it renders one of the hardest theory-craft's in the game to baby-spoon
theory-craft status.
As a result, only the baby-spoon method is viable in the current state of the game.

also reserving 2/3 of your hp is a wrong way of looking at it, simply because you still have your ES buffer for all other sources of damage. The highest possible chaos damage in the game has to be sustainable on 1/3 of hp, that is a correct assessment.

Currently this is impossible, due to gear and passive points limitations in the current game.

I would hate to see such a cool theory-craft possibility be removed from the game simply because a baby-spoon alternative was added.

"
im sorry you think i wasted your time, but that was the feeling i got from reading your thread. you yourself said you liked a challenge, and you yourself said his build might be viable if you removed the mf, please state why i am so wrong and wasting both our time for questioning your motives on this?

Bolded the important part, given mark's response we can conclude it is not hardcore viable.

Not to diminish his build or his attempt, just to say that i make every build both in hardcore and standard league's with the intention of being "hardcore viable" as part of the way of challenging myself.

Like currently i have an elemental imune coc EK build that is able to do 78 maps + bosses and survive triple reflect (reflect mod+ reflect mob + invulnerability curse), just to say, i enjoy pushing the limits of the inherent game mechanics.

And i hate seeing such a cool theory-craft as no shavronnes low-life become unviable. Only to be replaced by the "slap this on and go" craft's we have now.

Peace.

(i will respond to any who took the time to read this thread and leave a comment, the only ones i ignored so far are the ones thinking it's a QQ i cant afford a shavronnes posters. Simply because they failed to see what this thread is about, and didn't bother to read before posting)

"
Ya know, I've always thought it would be neat to have a keystone like..

"+25% maximum chaos resistance/ -10% all maximum elemental resistances"

Would make chaos immunity without CI possible, but you're gonna bust your ass to get it, and become super weak to ele damage in the process.

That's also sort of interesting an an entirely different route then i opted for. Not sure what the implications of such a node would be. But i don't really want to be
"immune to chaos", the thing i liked most about that low-life character was the fact that i have a life buffer of 450 hp and i could get hit for 350+- dps on it, making it very adrenaline rich in player experience :).

But the node like you describe it seems to be very hard to build around, i like it.
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info