The artisitc direction of the game is really odd with mxt

Hi

Damn Wraeclastian how did you get the inside jist' on the the act 4 boss?

Liberace=dominus and piety combined, beware the act 4 boss!

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
-I thought what I'd do was,I'd Pretend I was one of those deaf mutes-
Nullus Anxietas:)
"
OllyDB wrote:

Up next Angelic Robe, Angelic Wings, Angelic TP.....

Called it...
I think this thread raises a very good question, perhaps this even deserves a topic on it's own - art direction. What exactly defines the art direction of this game? What are the qualities that make this game indefinable, unique and attractive?

To me it has always been a good successor of D1 D2's aesthetics, a grim, dark world, mysterious, subtlety, filled with things invisible, metaphysical forces, things in the shadows. This adds to the realisticity and make it more believable, and is actually key to deliver the "scary", not just because of the dark, but because the suggested evils and mysterious forces can communicate and feed into the real-world view of the player. What if this invisible forces is real? Or what if this magic is actually coming from a real event? In short, the more subtle and invisible something is presented, it is more relatable to real life thus making it more immersive and engaging.

I would like to think the "town portal" should be something of a magical wonder to behold, not a "lolmagic blue circle thing". And that means basically, in my ideal art direction, most of the "visual effects" should be gone, and leaving only the "animation" behind. For example, the melee skill sweep shouldn't show a "sweeping light of sword travelling through air". This applies to other skills as well. You shouldn't have a "spiral thingy" when you are shooting fast arrows. Etc etc. Things like these should be delivered in animation only. They are nothing magical, and should stay that way.

For the elements, they shouldn't look "magical". Fire should look like fire, which is actually not that bright, and is very hot so it distorts the surrounding (hot air). Lightning is relatively well done in my opinion, or maybe it is just more true to real lightnings, but still they should be toned down a lot, and, lightning isn't a "plasma ball energy thingy", but should be more about a bright/loud flashing arc of bolts, and the invisible statics that creates sparks and flashes, not "blue ball things". Ice is more about frosty surfaces and transparent icy blocks, not "bright white things". Chaos should be invisible and "metaphysical", not "purple things".

I can probably make a whole entire database of these changes if I were to direct the art of this game. Because to be, PoE is about IMPROVING the subtlety and mysterious and metaphysical qualities of the "originals". The improvement is about the delivery of things you cannot see. "Brighter and more colorful" is in fact a corruption that plagues the current "consensus" of how games should look.

I thought PoE was championing the direction of the art of subtlety and dark mysterious forces when I was in Act I normal. I was delighted. But then act 2 came and so on and so fourth, all I see was more and more colours, brighter and brighter "magics". I am disappoint.

So please, whoever is directing the art, PLEASE change the course of your ship. I like this game, but I want to love this game more.

TLDR: The magic is invisible.
Hi

Hark! what is that flying closer in the distance! Why its new wings! Have to type these wings do look nice,er in a icky demonic way:) But do they move a little to add some realism to them? and not feel like some weird tumor growing out of your back:useless.

Question to vote on: aye or nay, do wings belong in Wraeclast and its supposed storyline of redemption?

cheers
Conan: Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
Never dance with the Devil because a dance with the Devil could last you forever...
"
Finkenstein wrote:
Question to vote on: aye or nay, do wings belong in Wraeclast and its supposed storyline of redemption?
I think we'll know it soon... after A4 release :)
And worst change is putting almost all bosses in new version of maps into fucking small areas, where you can't kite well or dodge stuff. What a terrible idiot invented that I want say to him: dude flick you, seriously flick you very much.
"
Russell wrote:
*cries in corner* I know!

a mocking post like this isnt needed, We know you dont care.

Thats why we are getting Wings as mtx item, and they wont stop with this non lore friendly, ugly and extravagant wings.

nice taste you ppl got there(serioussly, how do u manage to come up with these horrible wing mtx ideas?) keep doing these and people will get bored of POE's graphics.

(this-isnt-a-korean-mmo)

*these guys are losing their esence

...................................................₪₪╔═══════════════════════╗₪₪
░▒▓██████▓▓▓▓▓▒▒▒▒▒▒░░░░░▀▄▀ⓡ ⓔ ⓑ ⓔ ⓛ ●๋ ⓔ ⓧ ⓘ ⓛ ⓔ▀▄▀░░░░░▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▓▓▓▓██████▓▒░
...................................................₪₪╚═══════════════════════╝₪₪
Last edited by Kandamo on May 22, 2014, 7:43:38 AM
Kia Ora, Cam (concept artist) here from GGG.
(inb4 this is copy pasted from another thread)
I work a lot on the items and MTX stuff.

Interesting opinions from both those for, and against the new wings/mtx.
Because no one has said anything regarding this topic so far, and it is a recurring topic. I just wanted to say I'm listening, and this is all good feedback.

While it's very doubtful we can make everyone happy with any single MTX item, I can certainly try to take your feedback into consideration on the visual design side of things.
I am also a fan of more subtle design.

Out of curiosity for those who are not a fan of certain mtx items:
What is it, that you are not a fan of?
Size? Colour? VFX? Design/look?

Cheers
C
Hi

CamGG
"
Out of curiosity for those who are not a fan of certain mtx items:
What is it, that you are not a fan of?
Size? Colour? VFX? Design/look?

Suggestions:

Infernal skull: Loved it initially but seems now like it lost its grittiness, like its too smooth, perhaps add some cracks to it?

Skull Hood: Not much of a issue for me but some people have mentioned hating being able to see the hair of their character poking out the back(ie: witch)

Medusa snakes: Please remove hair and add more snakes, the hair amidst the snakes doesn't look very good compared to the price spent for the MTX. Also perhaps different coloured snakes?

Iron maiden: Head seems to big no matter character wears it.

Serrated Mohawk: have Mohawk extend further down back of head.

Fiery Visage: Not always properly centered on characters so it seems either to high or low for characters.

Ice Crown: Seems like Iron maiden to make characters head to big.

Aureate crown: Could it have a little added depth to it? So flat otherwise its practically invisible when turned.

Curved/bent horns: Darker colour?

-How about a NON SUPPORT totem MTX, sad to have such awesome totem MTX's only for SUPPORT totems or perhaps make the Olmec totem useable as Non Support totem(seems to be more popular then tiki). Also please make sure the totem MTX would work with other Totem MTX's like green searing bond.

-Some themes and designs are overly stereotyped,ie:wings, in the past GGG has produced a certain taste/theme which hadn't traversed the stereotypical till the wings.

The angels wings have been over done, way to shiny, to clean, they could have been tattered with the slight glint of past glories and tough battles and make them move a little, or maybe drop a feather on occasion when you move?

The demon wings yet again over done, though very nice to see them move a bit, they remind me of devil may cry themed design not POE. They could have been a mix of demonic/abnormal growths mixed with steam punk machinery reminiscent of Dominus's area/ twisted thaumaturgy.

-MOARRRRRRR NECROTIC MTX: Necrotic Gloves,Cloak,Shield

-Bandana: Looks cool but no design on bandana? Different colours?

-Undead Pets? Skele cat?

- Character animations: Love the dances, how about insult animations,ex: duelist bites thumb, shadow makes throat crossing gesture, etc..

- Decoy totem MTX: MTX makes copy of character hurt on ground or beckoning monsters with a statement unique to each character or use above character animation idea of characters making insulting gestures instead of current droll totem design.

- Create a MTX Inventory screen to allow players to not have to constantly re apply every time they change gear, enter game and get pet,keep better track of your MTX's, etc.. This screen could also allow for future more complex MTX's since the current platform can only go so far.I know though that this last one is probably not your department for dealing with this suggestion.

Cheers

Hey great suggestions Finkenstein.

While we cant really go back and change existing MTX designs unless it is for bug fixing.

Personally, this was some very valuable info for moving forward with MTX design:
"The demon wings yet again over done, though very nice to see them move a bit, they remind me of devil may cry themed design not POE. They could have been a mix of demonic/abnormal growths mixed with steam punk machinery reminiscent of Dominus's area/ twisted thaumaturgy."

Cheers
C
"
Russell wrote:
"
Lord_Kamster wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
*cries in corner* I know!

Russell, stand your ground! When they make you work on shiny stuff, go sit outside, go on strike! I trust you.

I just work on skills and boss ability's at the moment haha. Oh and mtx skills.

ACT4 HYPE!!!! Great stuff Russell, I really dig your work, keep it up.

PS Molten Strike looks amazing.
Don't forget to drink your milk 👌

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info