Windripper vs Voltaxic Rift

I'm not sure where else to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong forum.

There seems to be a lot of builds bouncing around that involve the Windripper bow. There's CoC, elemental crit, crit crit, etc. Meanwhile, I'm having a tough time finding any up-to-date builds involving Voltaxic Rift. If anyone has one I'd like to take a look at it.

I've read that builds involving Voltaxic enjoy improved survivaility since elemental reflect is no longer a problem. However, I'm wondering how it compares to Windripper in terms of DPS. Would builds involving Voltaxic focus on crit less, or even at all? Can chaos damage crit?

I've also got a lot of other questions regarding the mechanics of Voltaxic Rift but I'll wait to see if anyone ever bothers to read this...

Main difference between the two is that if you want to go extreme crit with windripper you dont need as many nodes due to the higher base crit, but you have to take vaal pact if you dont want to die to reflect.

With Voltaxic you don't have to worry about reflect at all but it takes more to scale crit.
@Waggypants
I havent tried windripper builds so far, but the fact that it has like 10% base crit chance will let you easily achieve max crit chance. Now add some crit multi and the massive scaling of elemental damage from the bow, auras and what not and you will end up with some nice dps over voltaxic.

edit: forgot to mention you will have to take vaal pact if you go windripper and even still with vp ele reflect might be a problem
@HabiaUnaVez_Truz or leave a PM if im offline
Last edited by Sixnia on Apr 24, 2014, 2:35:20 AM
So builds involving both builds would go the crit route? Does chaos damage get affected by the crit multiplier?

Is the ability to focus on a specific element useful? When using Voltaxic would it make sense to stack a bunch of gear that adds lightning damage or % increases to elemental/lightning damage? (I'm thinking things like Thunderfist, Doryani's Invitation, etc.) Damage is being converted to chaos but things that increase lightning damage will work... right?
Last edited by mechclams on Apr 24, 2014, 3:13:58 AM
And now ypu should compare the wed and the lightning dmg mods...

For me windripper is the must have...
Have LGs fallen from grace?
IGN: Royal_Princess, Princess_of_Wraeclast, Vaal_Princess, Diamond_Princess
"
ac429 wrote:

no, i prefer LG for more tankier build with iron grip.
* Forum Avatar - $500USD
... -- Bex_GGG
With vaal pact I can shoot carelessly into elereflect pacts, dmg is around 12k Split/Chain, so everything dies pretty much instantly. Still avoid elereflect maps, because reflect packs in reflect maps still are still annoying.

Most fun I ever had in PoE...

"
estu87 wrote:
"
ac429 wrote:

no, i prefer LG for more tankier build with iron grip.

I hated Lioneyes as you cannot evade the reflect due to the "can't be evaded" mod. I respecced out of Iron grip and respecced into Ondars/Acro and it's a huge survivability boost.
Last edited by biomuesli on Apr 24, 2014, 4:02:19 AM
So I've done a bit of reading on Reddit and here on the forums... A lot of Windripper going around and a lot of talk about how Voltaxic isn't that great. I think chaos damage has a lot to offer. It bypasses energy shield, can't be reflected, and most mobs don't resist it. Sure, Windripper has all the crit chance but not all builds need crit right? All those passive points can go to other things like chaos/elemental/lightning damage nodes or life, evasion, etc. Also, there are a number of gear that offer added lightning damage which (I think) will result in overall higher base damage when combined with gear that give percentage bonuses to elemental damage.

Will the passive “Arcing Blows” will increase lightning damage before Voltaxic converts it over to chaos, yes? If not, my thinking here is completely wrong…
Last edited by mechclams on Apr 24, 2014, 3:52:07 PM
"
ac429 wrote:

There was three big changes that made LG relatively worse(maybe more but these are the main three):

- Accuracy got hugely buffed. This made reaching 85%-90% hit chance far far easier. This is a pretty big deal.

- Bows were hugely buffed to far surpass LG's DPS.

- Evasion was buffed twice since then. First the actual evasion value went up and secondly it allowed you to evade reflect damage. That meant the main way many archers are dealing with reflect is high evasion combined with ondar's. LG is pretty much suicide for crit builds.

LG was mainly used in low crit or non crit builds previously. At the moment going crit is the most popular option for powerful bow builds.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info