Blocking reflected damage

As I understand it, reflected damage can be blocked, like any other source of damage. If you successfully block it, does it trigger 'on block' effects, and can they target enemies?

For instance, suppose I am using Tempest Shield and have spellblock. I am fighting a monster that reflects elemental damage. The monster attacks, I block, and Tempest Shield hits the monster with lightning damage.

1. Does that lightning damage get reflected back at me? If so, can I block it (spellblock)?

2. Suppose I block reflected damage (either originating from Tempest Shield, or some other hit). Can Aegis Aurora's ES recovery effect trigger from this? Does the monster get hit by Tempest Shield as a result of the block?
Last edited by Incompetent on Apr 23, 2014, 11:03:16 PM
Per the PoE Wiki "This spell (Tempest Shield) will damage the attacker whenever you successfully block any direct attack or spell (assuming you have passives or an item with x% of Block Chance applied to Spells to allow blocking of spells).

So it's a no go on blocking reflected damage and triggering tempest shield.

Review of the wiki regarding reflected damage says that armor and evasion are useful against reflect and recommends Life on Hit/Leech to counteract it. No mention of block working against reflect.

Last edited by Skywalkerfx on Apr 24, 2014, 12:27:21 AM
1. No. Marc confirmed that no damage is reflected more than once to prevent infinite loops.
2. Not sure.
"
Incompetent wrote:
1. Does that lightning damage get reflected back at me? If so, can I block it (spellblock)?
Yes, and Yes. Tempest Shield's spell damage isn't any different to other spell damage in this respect - it can be reflected, and you can use spell block to mitigate the reflected damage.

"
Incompetent wrote:
2. Suppose I block reflected damage (either originating from Tempest Shield, or some other hit). Can Aegis Aurora's ES recovery effect trigger from this? Does the monster get hit by Tempest Shield as a result of the block?
No. While block is applied as mitigation to reflected damage, you don't actually count as blocking a hit - reflected damage that fails to result in an amount of damage is discarded and has no effect on either attacker or defender.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info