Does the patcher eat all available bandwidth?

I'm not patching the day of a large patch so there must be little load on the distribution server. Patcher seems to be eating all the bandwidth I can give it but it is not nice about sharing. Trying to surf while patching so that I can 1) chat with people on Steam or 2) surf non-PoE websites results in severe lag. Reading these forums or looking at things local to this site. no such problem... Looking at live feeds on Twitch, back to terrible latency.

Other people get this or did I find a fluky evening at my ISP?
Yeah it's a greedy bandwidth hog. You might find something which can shape your traffic a bit, limiting the network saturation from the patcher. I've read good things about http://seriousbit.com/netbalancer/
really should not do other network intensive thing while it patches because (small chance) a packet can get mismatched and corrupt your patch file.
A decent router will enable you to allocate bandwidth to services on your network (usually implemented as QoS, so look for something similar in your router manual). Your objective is to limit traffic from 108.161.187.14 (based on my experience, this the patcher server or more likely the front end load balancer, regardless, it's how you can identify it)

"

really should not do other network intensive thing while it patches because (small chance) a packet can get mismatched and corrupt your patch file.

I'm sorry but that is just plain absurd.
"The problem is there ARE secure netcodes" -- Pewzor
Thanks for the replies, guys. I work in the industry so I am familiar with the options I was just surprised to find a patcher that was not throttled on their end for once. I also prefer to leave work at the office and not have to do that kind of management on the home network... Sigh.

Definitely something to stick on the enhancements list though.
I wish it was greedy on the bandwith with me, after a solid day of patching I still need to patch 4.8 GB, of a patch size that my PC normally handles in a few hours.
It does max out bandwidth, It also eats up as much processing power as it can get it's hand on.

"
evilcaster wrote:

What, Do you still live in the 90's?
Fun things, Sad things... We can't share everything, But what we can, we should share... That is what it means to be a guild. A single persons happiness is everyone's happiness. A single persons anger is everyone's anger. And a single person's tears are everyone's tears.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info