[Official] WINE info thread

Im getting Error in PoL wine, whine seems to have crashed. latest play on linux manjaro 17.1.12

Can anyone point me in the right direction please.
"
ixxxo wrote:
"
Epi77444 wrote:
works on my machine with wine-staging-pba-git but has few problems; the games gets slow with alot of effects on screen and I has no map.

Arch I assume? Where did you get wine-staging-pba-git? I don't see it any longer in AUR.

https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wine-staging-pba-git/
So, since my NVidia drivers updated to 396.54, I tried running in Lutris again. With every DX version and windowing mode I tried, it would just hang at the gears. Eventually I tried clearing the parameters setting, and apparently, --waitforpreload was the culprit: Instead of hanging, PoE now crashed upon reaching the login screen with a “failed to uncompress texture file” message, presumably stemming from a previous updater crash. Deleting and redownloading Content.ggpk allowed my current config (fullscreen in virtual desktop on dx9ex) to work, at least to a degree, and from there switching to dx11 worked as well.

DX11 mode now runs fine for me with Lutris/esync/DXVK except for what I assume are the well-documented shader compilation stutters. It uses not only less CPU but also less memory than the dx9 version did, sitting stably at 2.4G instead of constantly rising to 3G (where dx9 of course would always crash). I’ll see about getting a patched DXVK version probably later today.
I built dxvk-git and playing PoE with wine-staging-pba + dxvk now. The map appears correctly but I still have those freeze spikes on tough bosses, which means no shaper/elder for me.
Last edited by Epi77444 on Sep 23, 2018, 6:50:23 AM
"
Melvar wrote:
So, since my NVidia drivers updated to 396.54, I tried running in Lutris again. With every DX version and windowing mode I tried, it would just hang at the gears. Eventually I tried clearing the parameters setting, and apparently, --waitforpreload was the culprit: Instead of hanging, PoE now crashed upon reaching the login screen with a “failed to uncompress texture file” message, presumably stemming from a previous updater crash. Deleting and redownloading Content.ggpk allowed my current config (fullscreen in virtual desktop on dx9ex) to work, at least to a degree, and from there switching to dx11 worked as well.

DX11 mode now runs fine for me with Lutris/esync/DXVK except for what I assume are the well-documented shader compilation stutters. It uses not only less CPU but also less memory than the dx9 version did, sitting stably at 2.4G instead of constantly rising to 3G (where dx9 of course would always crash). I’ll see about getting a patched DXVK version probably later today.

--waitforpreload doesn't break the game in any way. It simply preloads a lot of resources to, supposedly, minimize stuttering in our Linux end. What may happen is that during that loading process, it will load broken things, just like you mentioned, and crash. Also, the same tip goes for you and the person below

"
Epi77444 wrote:
I built dxvk-git and playing PoE with wine-staging-pba + dxvk now. The map appears correctly but I still have those freeze spikes on tough bosses, which means no shaper/elder for me.

Try this DXVK version mentioned countless times in this thread. For this specific game, it makes shaders compile in an asynchronous way, there's about zero stuttering for the cost of a few graphical glitches every now and then. If you've got a fast machine/gfx card, that will be mostly unnoticeable. If you don't feel comfortable, you can always switch back to regular DXVK.

I really feel like this enables late game content for Linux users.

And, yes, shaders are always one of the biggest sources of trouble.
Multithread was re-enabled with new patch (and recommended lol), make sure its turned off. Much less crashes now, mine was a 50/50 on each load screen before.
Anyone played with the new DXVK 0.80? Does it still need the poe dxvk hack?

Edit: Yep, still need the hack. Does anyone have a compiled copy of 0.80 with the patch?
Last edited by acylus on Sep 29, 2018, 7:50:38 PM
Did anyone else start crashing randomly today? I was on an older version of DXVK (0.54 I think) and Wine for months. I tried upgrading to a recent version of Wine and DXVK but no luck.

Edit: The problem disappeared on its own. I have no idea.
Last edited by Aristal on Sep 30, 2018, 2:29:02 AM
"
mruuh wrote:
It's worst when doing delves:
Load the game, enter last visited town instance - game process is at ~1.6GB.
Enter hideout - ~2.4GB
Restart the game, instead of going to the hideout, enter Niko's mine - boom, ~3.1 GB.
Enter a random delve waypoint - ~3.1 or 3.2GB, barely below limit, so I can play until the game decides to load a new instance of the mine.

Instead, I can run two dozen or so maps from my hideout before the memory reaches the ~3.2GB limit and crashes, but delve areas seem to load so much more assets...

I hit a wall this weekend, after finding a delve node with a Vaal boss encounter. Whenever I try to enter a mine in any node that's near this boss encounter node, the game outright crashes during mine loading because it reaches the 32-bit 3.2GB memory limit. (The 64-bit version of the game doesn't even start, so no joy there.)

Something is really screwy between the game's memory allocator and Wine. Can't even report this to GGG, because, well, unsupported.

Needless to say, I lost all motivation to play POE.
The more you depend on forces outside yourself, the more you are dominated by them.
--Harold Sherman
Last edited by mruuh on Oct 1, 2018, 4:19:10 AM
"
mruuh wrote:
"
mruuh wrote:
It's worst when doing delves:
Load the game, enter last visited town instance - game process is at ~1.6GB.
Enter hideout - ~2.4GB
Restart the game, instead of going to the hideout, enter Niko's mine - boom, ~3.1 GB.
Enter a random delve waypoint - ~3.1 or 3.2GB, barely below limit, so I can play until the game decides to load a new instance of the mine.

Instead, I can run two dozen or so maps from my hideout before the memory reaches the ~3.2GB limit and crashes, but delve areas seem to load so much more assets...

I hit a wall this weekend, after finding a delve node with a Vaal boss encounter. Whenever I try to enter a mine in any node that's near this boss encounter node, the game outright crashes during mine loading because it reaches the 32-bit 3.2GB memory limit. (The 64-bit version of the game doesn't even start, so no joy there.)

Something is really screwy between the game's memory allocator and Wine. Can't even report this to GGG, because, well, unsupported.

Needless to say, I lost all motivation to play POE.

Use the 64-bit version with DXVK and use the shader hack to make it stutter less. You'll probably be able to play through all content with minimum to no crashes.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info