[Official] WINE info thread

"
Blaiz0r wrote:
I've noticed that I'm creating a lot of extra files in my home folder when I run the game, I usually use the command line from ~/

"
~$WINEDEBUG=-all wine .wine/drive_C/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/PathOfExile.exe

Then I find that in my home folder I have Client.exe, a few dll files, ShaderCach directory and Content.ggpk.

I've even found them in my Downloads folder so I think it's relative to where I run the command from, is this expected behaviour? should I run the exe from here or the Client.exe file from the wine documents folder?

Your command looks fine except the tilde symbol at the start, not sure why that is there.

I would suggest making a launch script to make life easier. You can save it, make it executable and symlink it to /usr/local/bin/ , so you can launch it from anywhere on your system.

Here's what I'm using: http://hastebin.com/likabepiqo.bash

Change Wineprefix to whatever you're using (e.g. .wine), comment Nvidia stuff if needed and change PoE executable path.
Last edited by VodkaBorschGG on Sep 24, 2016, 11:25:57 AM
Thanks for that I'll take a look.

The tilde was just to show that I was in /home/user/
"
Haleine wrote:
I'm running on PlayOnLinux using GLSL on a AMD R7 240 and FPS is ~25 max to min 9 and 1.

Using --nopreload --softwareaudio and most recent system Wine. Fedora 24.

What else should I do to improve my FPS?
I LOVE this game, and while I can run on Windows 10 with 60+FPS I don't want to boot it just to play PoE haha, my most loved game on my most loved system would be awesome :D

I will still play this way, but I hope we can get better fps in the future :|

If you haven't gotten this figured out yet; use the open-source AMD graphics drivers and grab a Gallium-nine patched Wine. Enable Gallium Nine and disable Shadows in-game.

With a R9 380 I had, the above took me from 50 FPS to over 300. Shadows are killer for some reason.

"
milasinn wrote:
Hi all, i have a problem with my graphic card. I have nVidia GeForce GTX 950, but poe use GTX 470 (i don't have that card :/) Can someone help me with this. And cant use fullscreen.

http://i.imgur.com/8e8lvlP.jpg

That's just the GPU Wine is reporting to the game (it likely doesn't have your GPU's specific device IDs to give it a proper name). I don't think it'll be an issue with PoE (pretty sure it doesn't optimize specifically for certain GPUs, or at least I'd hope it doesn't), but I think you can also pass your own GPU information somehow through the registry. Either way, it shouldn't affect performance.

Also, I updated my notes a little bit: https://wiki.realmofespionage.xyz/games:wine:path_of_exile
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Sep 22, 2016, 2:26:06 AM
If you're getting Direct3D error when trying to run PoE on mac in fullscreen, try this:

- open Applications folder
- right click "Path Of Exile.app" and select "Show Package Contents"
- run Wineskin.app
- select "Set Screen Options"
- on right hand side, choose "Override"
- on right hand side, unselect "Use Mac Driver instead of X11"
- on left hand side set Fullscreen and pick a resolution for your display (I'm doing 1920x1080 on my iMac)
- click Done
- click Quit
- run PoE
- go to options and select proper resolution and fullscreen

Be warned: Alt+Tab might break fullscreen of the game

I just got it working. Might be that some of these are not required, but I don't care wasting more time on figuring out :)
Last edited by dambig on Sep 22, 2016, 11:53:11 AM
"
Blaiz0r wrote:
Thanks for that I'll take a look.

The tilde was just to show that I was in /home/user/

I know what it is used for. It's just that putting it there makes no sense. Unless you're using Zsh, ~ alone doesn't do what you think it would. What I was surprised about was that you have moved it from at the start of your PoE executable path to the start of the command. This makes more sense to me:
$WINEDEBUG=-all wine ~/.wine/drive_C/Program\ Files\ \(x86\)/Grinding\ Gear\ Games/Path\ of\ Exile/PathOfExile.exe

Your command is only usable when you're in $HOME.
Last edited by VodkaBorschGG on Sep 24, 2016, 11:29:06 AM
Hi guys
I have problem. I have intel core i5 4 core 2,4ghz and nvidia NVS 3100m so i meet minimal requirements but on my linux ubuntu i have only average 10-15 fps and it doesnt matter i have low or high texture. Whats wrong with wine or linux?

Ps. I think maybe game is not using dedicated nvidia gpu?
Last edited by TrissMerigoldP on Oct 2, 2016, 6:25:10 AM
Can anyone help me?
Bug:

I'm using a AMD 7870 with the latest or near-latest AMDGPU driver. Also using the latest stable wine release. Enabling shadows causes a lot of invalid texture errors, this is what I receive on the start menu:

"
err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x10a071a8: "GL_INVALID_OPERATION in glCopyTexSubImage2D(invalid texture image)".
err:d3d_surface:surface_load_fb_texture >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_OPERATION (0x502) from glCopyTexSubImage2D @ surface.c / 2870

At the moment I enable shadows, I get this error once:

"
err:d3d:wined3d_debug_callback 0x10a071a8: "GL_INVALID_VALUE in glTexImage2D(internalFormat=GL_NO_ERROR)".
err:d3d_texture:texture2d_prepare_texture >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> GL_INVALID_VALUE (0x501) from glTexImage2D @ texture.c / 911

If it somehow helps to know this, the game will run in this state, but it looks very weird.
Cast on Crit too much fun.
"
Can anyone help me?

Try disabling the intel gpu in bios if you can otherwise you will need to fiddle with optimus or bumblebee if I am not mistaken, can't really help you there as I don't have any experience with nvidia cards under linux.
Hi, this is just a short write-up of my experience with running Path of Exile on wine since 2.4.

Initially when playing the game runs extremely well, much better than any previous version. However after some time performance starts to drop rather heavily, and rather quickly becomes unplayable. Restarting the client fixes the problem.

This also existed in 2.3, but disabling sound helped significantly with this issue. This no longer seems to do anything really. There does seem to be sound slight issues with sounds as it sometime gets a bit delayed, and can even (very rarely stutter), like some thread contention is preventing to play or similar. This might also be a pulseaudio thing though. It is not a big deal though.

One of the latest patches (g or h probably) made this somewhat worse. It now goes significantly faster before the frame drops sets in. I can do 4-6 dried lake runs before the client becomes unplayable, For maps it goes much faster, only one or two. This unfortunately makes the game somewhat frustrating to play is it requires a lot of restarts. The slowdowns are most notable during on-hit (like 2.3), and in particular stuff like herald of ice explosions can cause big drops. Even when the client is getting quite slow during action, the fps will still be reasonably good when just standing around without any mobs nearby.

I don't know the reason for the slowdown over time, but I'd be very nice to get this fixes. Obviously this doesn't happen on windows, so this is obviously related to wine somehow. However earlier versions of the game (2.0-2.2 worked quite well) has been playable for more than an hour without issues. I suspect that maybe PoE doesn't release/free some assets via DirectX and that the windows implementation cleans this up automatically and the wine version does not. However this is just a guess.

If someone is able to play on wine without getting slowdowns over time I'd be very interested in hearing about their setup and wine version in particular.

As for wine version, I've had reasonably good success with 1.9.17. I tried 1.9.18 and 1.9.20, but would often have issues when existing to character selection. Occasionally I have issues with alt-tabbing, but as long as I don't do it during load screens it works fine (on .17 not .18/.2)

My setup is a Haswell core i5, 16 gb ram, gtx 1070, and fairly new nvidia driver, and on Ubuntu 16.04.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info