[Official] WINE info thread

"
Blaiz0r wrote:
What's he best way to help with the debugging and bug fixing of the performance? Arguably GGG will never put resource into this.

Post your performance results with: your PC specs, your GPU driver version, your wine version (including whether or not you're using POL), and your winetricks if you have any.

GGG do have a stake in helping wine users though, since there are a lot of OS X players relying on it
Thanks, here are my system specs.:

Kernel: x86_64 Linux 4.5.1-1-ARCH
CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.8GHz
GPU: GeForce GTX 760
RAM: 15.6GiB

Driver: 364.16
Wine: Wine Staging 1.9.8 with Winetricks 64bit

Game client run with --nosound

Graphics:
Resolution: Windowed 1920x1080
Shadow Qual: Off
Antialiasing: Off
Texture Qual: Medium
Texture Filt: Trilinear Filtering
Post Proces.: Off
Screen Shake: Off

FPS in Town: ~60fps
FPS in Area: ~20fps dropping to <5fps
"
Blaiz0r wrote:
Thanks, here are my system specs.:

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K CPU @ 3.8GHz
RAM: 15.6GiB

Driver: 364.16
Wine: Wine Staging 1.9.8 with Winetricks 64bit

Game client run with --nosound

Graphics:
Resolution: Windowed 1920x1080
Shadow Qual: Off

FPS in Town: ~60fps
FPS in Area: ~20fps dropping to <5fps

You should try wine-gaming-nine in the AUR. It's currently based on wine-staging 1.9.8-1 but has the gallium-nine patches.

I was having huge problems a few weeks ago but with this version of wine, for the most part, I get between 40 and 60 fps, only dropping to single digits with lots of particles. However, these fps drops seem primarily latency/predictive mode related. The reason I say this is because, when playing the global realm, the minimum latency for me is around i60ms, when playing the garena realm with a 6ms latency and lockstep, these sudden frame rate drops seldom occur.

My setup:
Resolution: 1920x1080
DE: XFCE4
WM: Xfwm4
CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core @ 3.5GHz
GPU: AMD/ATI Pitcairn XT [Radeon HD 7870 GHz Edition]
RAM: 8020MiB

Driver: radeonsi (xf86-video-ati - 1.7.7.0-1) mesa 11.2.1-1
Wine: wine-gaming-nine

[DISPLAY]
antialias_mode=0
borderless_windowed_fullscreen=true
fullscreen=false
post_processing=false
resolution_height=1080
resolution_width=1920
screen_shake=false
shadow_type=no_shadows
texture_filtering=1
texture_quality=0
vsync=true

--nosound

I'm fairly sure if I had a more modern GPU that supported AMDGPU or an Nvidia card, things would be even better.
Last edited by Kellog on Apr 21, 2016, 10:00:41 PM
"
Kellog wrote:

You should try wine-gaming-nine in the AUR. It's currently based on wine-staging 1.9.8-1 but has the gallium-nine patches.

I was having huge problems a few weeks ago but with this version of wine, for the most part, I get between 40 and 60 fps, only dropping to single digits with lots of particles. However, these fps drops seem primarily latency/predictive mode related. The reason I say this is because, when playing the global realm, the minimum latency for me is around i60ms, when playing the garena realm with a 6ms latency and lockstep, these sudden frame rate drops seldom occur.

Gallium Nine (afaik) is only supported on the open-source graphics drivers that support Gallium (radeon, amdgpu, and nouveau I believe; not certain on intel).

As for your GPU; I'm not certain on the LLVM version, but you may be able to improve performance by specifying R600_DEBUG=sisched,forcedma as an environment variable if you haven't already (you need LLVM 3.8+ for sisched to do anything). I think DRI3 is also either a requirement or an ideal requirement for Gallium Nine, but using that is also a good idea.

Edit: I was on Xubuntu 16.04 for a few weeks now; reinstalled it yesterday with the regular iso, did my usual set-up process, and PoE refuses to run. I have no idea what happened. Went over to openSUSE TW and added pontostroy's X11 and drm-next repos and PoE runs just fine.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Apr 22, 2016, 11:03:25 AM
"
Kellog wrote:

You should try wine-gaming-nine in the AUR.

and use nouveau? lolnothx

although your post does seem to support suspicions that the issue lies with wine's interaction with nvidia's drivers.

if anyone has the chance i'd love to know how AMD's proprietary drivers perform in POE
Last edited by lilypaad on Apr 22, 2016, 2:35:07 PM
Yeah Gallium Nine is only for Open Source drivers, unfortunately for NVIDIA users you're still better off with the proprietary drivers so you won't be able to take advantage of G9.

In which case I'm still stuck with Wine Staging probably being my best choice.

I'm running 2 characters at end game right now, and Earthquake Champion, and a Wild Strike Assassin.

The performance is bad with both classes but the Wild Strike character definitely has the worse of it, it's as though calculating all the different elemental damages on all the mobs is too much for the engine (through Wine on Linux).
"
Blaiz0r wrote:
Yeah Gallium Nine is only for Open Source drivers, unfortunately for NVIDIA users you're still better off with the proprietary drivers so you won't be able to take advantage of G9.

In which case I'm still stuck with Wine Staging probably being my best choice.

I'm running 2 characters at end game right now, and Earthquake Champion, and a Wild Strike Assassin.

The performance is bad with both classes but the Wild Strike character definitely has the worse of it, it's as though calculating all the different elemental damages on all the mobs is too much for the engine (through Wine on Linux).

Are either of your characters using BM? HP regen seems to cause more lag than mana
"
Are either of your characters using BM? HP regen seems to cause more lag than mana

Yes my Wild Strike Assassin is, both Wild Strike and Spinning Blades have BM as support gems they are my main active skills. My Mana is 100% reserved with Auras.

My Earthquake build has no BM.
CPU: Intel Core i5-4460K CPU @ 3.2GHz
RAM: 8GB

Driver: 364.19
Wine: 1.7.55 (Using PlayOnLinux)

Game client run with --nosound (I think? I added it to "Arguments" under "Configuration" in PoL)

Graphics:
Resolution: Fullscreen 1920x1080
Shadow Qual: High
Screen Shake: On

Game runs beautifully (solid 60FPS) until I hit some packs with Earthquake. I'm not sure if it's particle effects or anything but it just dives to 5FPS. So close yet so far :(

So I've made some adjustments to my winecfg and options and have some significant improvement.

I now get up to 200fps in town and about 100 when roaming, combat dips to 60 down to <10 but at least keeps moving whereas before the game almost locked up in large packs, especially with my Wild Strike build.

For starters I run with:

$ 'env WINEDEBUG=-all wine PathOfExile.exe --nosound'

winecfg:

Windows Version: Windows XP
Graphics: Native resolution full screen Virtual destktop

In game:

-Graphics-
Shadows Qual: Off
Texture Qual: High
Tecture Filt: 16X
Post Proc: Off
VSync: Off

-Sound-
Default Device: Software Pulse Audio (Set just in case even though I use --nosound)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info