[Official] WINE info thread

For some reasons, the FPS drops happen in relation to poison/chaos damage.

They're way less common with CI passive!

This not taking into account opening yellow chests, large clutters of mobs and/or some spells.
^
Last edited by _MAL_ on Apr 6, 2016, 10:25:28 PM
I have managed to fix my FPS drops during regeneration by installing "msvc100" via PlayOnLinux.

Game still chugs when firing my skills into medium-large sized packs however.

Scratch that, it's still lagging during regen. I have no idea why it was running so smoothly last night.
Last edited by lilypaad on Apr 5, 2016, 1:52:42 AM
"
ionface wrote:
Has anyone got pulseaudio sound working in a win64 prefix? I'm getting "No device detected" in my PoE settings, while the audio works fine in winecfg.

To get audio working I override openal32 to builtin, native
Some more testing...

I am 100% sure it is to do with resources regnerating. Life, mana and ES recharge all affect the framerate. Reserving life does not affect framerate, neither do BM skills with Vaal Pact.

It has nothing to do with text rendering, the FPS impact is the same whether life/mana values are on or not, plus I can display many trade chat messages without any drop in framerate.

It seems to have something to do with the rate of regeneration. Life regen is typically rather high and causes a large drop in framerate, whereas the lower mana regen value seems to have less of an effect. ES recharge values are typically extremely high compared to other values, which explains why it absolutely murders framerate while recharging.

Hopefully this info helps.
It has been a while since I last played poe, decided to give it another go couple of days ago. Using an old setup, which did run perfectly well in the past, I now have severe frametime spikes as described by __raan__:

"

I am 100% sure it is to do with resources regnerating. ...

It seems to have something to do with the rate of regeneration.

Hopefully this info helps.

Can confirm this observation. It feels like for each "tick" of certain animations some blocking code is run, thus causing frametimes to spike.

I also do have similar frame time spikes during animations where enemies are hit with spells or attacks.
I tried it with different versions of wine, nvidia drivers and playonlinux, the framespikes were consistent across different setups.

Since earlier versions of poe did run perfectly well with exactly the same setup, which is now heavily spiking, I have to assume, that some new poe code doesn't work very well with wine. maybe a threading issue?
Unfortunately for me, the game has become unplayable, I do, however, have the odds stacked against me, running linux (Arch) with AMD fx8350/HD7870. I've tried various flavours of wine, currently wine-staging 1.9.7 git, with 64 and 32 bit prefixes, but the game freezes every few seconds and even simple battles result in frame drops to single digit figures.

With this in mind, I was thinking about trying How to setup a gaming virtual machine with GPU passthrough \(QEMU, KVM, libvirt, and VFIO It seems pretty straight forward and I have the necessary hardware to make it work. I was just wondering if anyone here has tried this approach?
Hmm, so my FPS is about 20 or so with High graphics (no AA, everything else high/enabled). If I turn Shadows to Off, my FPS shoots to 400. If I drop shadows to low, I get about 20 FPS again. Shadows eat performance like crazy for some reason...

I'm on a R9 380 now using AMDGPU.
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
"
Espionage724 wrote:
Hmm, so my FPS is about 20 or so with High graphics (no AA, everything else high/enabled). If I turn Shadows to Off, my FPS shoots to 400. If I drop shadows to low, I get about 20 FPS again. Shadows eat performance like crazy for some reason...

What's your Wine setup?

I'm on a GTX780 w/ proprietary drivers on Arch and would love to have even half of that performance.
"
"
Espionage724 wrote:

What's your Wine setup?

I'm on a GTX780 w/ proprietary drivers on Arch and would love to have even half of that performance.

64-bit prefix, gallium-nine Wine from sarnex's PPA, Xubuntu 16.04, FX-8350 (4GHz no turbo core), padoka PPA (git Mesa and LLVM).

Here's a quick video, and here is my guide for how I installed PoE (basically, I put it in a separate prefix by itself and have no winetricks stuff)
Path of Exile in Eyefinity: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1320584
Last edited by Espionage724 on Apr 14, 2016, 9:07:21 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info