Snapshot? Can GGG even fix the mistake?

Manny of these builds killing the uber boss are all snap shotting like crazy. this is not how any game is intended to be played. GGG im guessing you guy cant even fix it.

so many diff builds are snap shotting so badly rf chars everyone that uses auras minion chars and now even ppl are using it for more es. this really needs to be fixed.
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
There are various ways in which it can be fixed. The most obvious is a simple check when gear is equipped and unequipped. What I gather from various dev posts is that the designers disagree on how to approach it, so it's not a matter of not being able to fix it, but one of not agreeing on the solution.
i personally dont think they have any idea how to do it.... When its at the point where ppl are going into ubeRS and casting auras then re specking out of all there aura passives and putting it into life or es thats unreal
[sarcasm]
"working as intended"
[/sarcasm]
That's ridiculous mechanics, to be honest, but some players (and game developers, it seems) think it's OK to have snapshotting. It appears in most ARPGs (yes, in D3 too, all barbs use snapshot for Ancients, to receive ridiculous benefit).
IGN: MortalKombat
Molten Strike build guide: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1346504

There is no knowledge
That is not power
I feel that Mon'tregul's is a perfect example of why snapshotting is wrong. Why have a downside to a unique such as -50% max zombies if all it means to the player is only half of the zombies get the bonus, yet the other half retain their strength?

Snapshotting is just a way to get the benefit of two sets of gear. And if I could the power of an extra wand on a caster, people would try beating me down with a bloody hammer. So I don't see why people should consider it fair and not needing removal.
From what I gather from Mark's posts is that it is not something they can fix because they didn't think about it when designing their engine.

Now he didn't come out and blatantly say that but I feel that is basically what he was trying to say without starting a shit storm and just being like "yeah we are working on it!"

It all has to do with RF so you can't take the gem out once you start burning to stop yourself from dying, but what I got out of that is that snapshotting is hard coded into the engine and without a new engine they can't fix it.
S L O W E R
"
Alea wrote:

"
ampdecay wrote:
snapshotting is hard coded into the engine and without a new engine they can't fix it.

"hard coded" would means they dont have the source of their own engine ....

haha derp, yeah guess I didn't word that right, what I mean is its like coded in a way that it will completely mess everything up if they remove it from the game, it seems they'd have to rewrite the engine to achieve this.

like it's just not possible to remove without destroying the functionality of the whole game

I could be wrong but that is always the impression I get when Mark talks about snapshotting
S L O W E R
"
Alea wrote:

"
ampdecay wrote:
snapshotting is hard coded into the engine and without a new engine they can't fix it.

"hard coded" would means they dont have the source of their own engine ....

No it doesn't and he was right in saying that it was hardcoded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_coding

It sets the parameter of the function internally at the time of its initial call and cannot make another call to change those parameters once they are initially set since the function will not or cannot check another function after its called to make sure that those parameters are still valid.

edit - in otherwords, once a integer is created within a function its set and cannot be changed dynamically without making a brand new instance of that function
Last edited by Jiero on Apr 21, 2014, 3:23:07 PM
double post
S L O W E R
Last edited by ampdecay on Apr 21, 2014, 3:32:57 PM
"
Jiero wrote:

No it doesn't and he was right in saying that it was hardcoded

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hard_coding

It sets the parameter of the function internally at the time of its initial call and cannot make another call to change those parameters once they are initially set since the function will not or cannot check another function after its called to make sure that those parameters are still valid.

edit - in otherwords, once a integer is created within a function its set and cannot be changed dynamically without making a brand new instance of that function

I just took my first programming class using C so I may be a little unclear on everything but I think I understand what you are saying.

I'm just not too good at explaining what I mean yet

basically it just declares some static integer constant instead of a global variable the other functions can refrence?
S L O W E R
Last edited by ampdecay on Apr 21, 2014, 3:33:32 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info