Curious about how people find decent items.

Well, if you're going to use the term "decent," I often craft my own decent items.

This is a decent helmet I made in a couple of regals. Sure, it's not a good helmet, but it's plenty decent for a 70ish character and is above the average you'd find by that level in a new league. If you create similar items and shore up the resists on jewelry, you're pretty well set for "average" strength.

I think more likely you're thinking about "good" items. As for those, it's mostly luck.

My friend found that chest in a map with one socket and I put about 100 jeweller's and 20ish fusings into it and managed to get a chest worth multiple exalts. As for how he found it? Pure luck. All there is to it, really. Otherwise, crafting when you're decently wealthy is an effective method for pieces of gear with smaller affix pools like chests and helmets.
"
kasub wrote:
"
I don't understand how people can obtain 50+ ex without RMT, and massive 24/7 chat spam/ trading/ being online constantly.

As someone who barely traded this league but has made 50+ exas..

- You always use the 2 chaos recipe. There is no reason not to. You can alch rings/ammys afterwards if you want and you're still making a considerable profit.
- Farming piety is very profitable with a MF partner or a running partner. You make tons of chaos off the recipe and many alterations(2+ exa per hour with a partner). If you get lucky with rares/unis that's nice too but I never depend on that.
- I made a huge profit off chancing a windripper.. Not really something you can depend on but I never trade away my chances. If you're like me then I recommend you chance glorious plates/imperial bows/spine bows.
- You will definitely get decent uniques with time. I managed to make 13 exas in 12 hours at some point after I posted a bunch of unis I found throughout the week.
- Smart crafting sometimes works. I made lots of profit from 5 linking a few items. I don't think this is too reliable but it worked for me.

I barely did piety this league so I acknowledge I was a bit lucky. You can always counter badluck with more piety/dominus runs since that 2 chaos recipe will add up quickly.

As for items I found tons of great items .. This mostly happens when you can speedrun low maps in 5 minutes due to your build completely dominating at 85+. I found playing that character even better than running with my MF summoner due to sheer clearspeed.
Noblesse oblige
I nearly shat myself when I found this in act 2 merciless lolol

was a nice upgrade for my duelist

S L O W E R
"
kasub wrote:
"
I don't understand how people can obtain 50+ ex without RMT, and massive 24/7 chat spam/ trading/ being online constantly.

As someone who barely traded this league but has made 50+ exas..

- You always use the 2 chaos recipe. There is no reason not to. You can alch rings/ammys afterwards if you want and you're still making a considerable profit.
- Farming piety is very profitable with a MF partner or a running partner. You make tons of chaos off the recipe and many alterations(2+ exa per hour with a partner). If you get lucky with rares/unis that's nice too but I never depend on that.
- I made a huge profit off chancing a windripper.. Not really something you can depend on but I never trade away my chances. If you're like me then I recommend you chance glorious plates/imperial bows/spine bows.
- You will definitely get decent uniques with time. I managed to make 13 exas in 12 hours at some point after I posted a bunch of unis I found throughout the week.
- Smart crafting sometimes works. I made lots of profit from 5 linking a few items. I don't think this is too reliable but it worked for me.

I barely did piety this league so I acknowledge I was a bit lucky. You can always counter badluck with more piety/dominus runs since that 2 chaos recipe will add up quickly.

As for items I found tons of great items .. This mostly happens when you can speedrun low maps in 5 minutes due to your build completely dominating at 85+. I found playing that character even better than running with my MF summoner due to sheer clearspeed.

I summarize: You was lucky with drops and chance orbs.

The rest are the "tricks" the rest of 99% poor people are doing.
What can never be lent or earned?
Somewhat, that devours everyone and everything:
A tree that rush. A bird that sings. It eat bones and smite the hardest stones.
Masticate every sword. Shatters every shrine. It defeat mighty kings and carry mountains on lightly wings.
What am i?
Here is my example, my main character is lvl 82 + other characters:

ORBS:
In my entire POE game-play i found only one exalted, no eternals, no mirror and only like 3 or 4 divines.

UNIQUES:
Kongor, Aegis Aurora, Voll's devotion, couple of andvarius and tons of crappy uniques

Crafting:
Never got unique after using hundreds of chance orbs. Using hundreds of fusings didn't give me 6 links, never. Only once vaal orb gave me 6L.

Is this game lucky for me?
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" - Edmund Burke
Last edited by Toshis8 on Apr 21, 2014, 6:19:54 AM
"
Toshis8 wrote:
Here is my example, my main character is lvl 82 + other characters:

ORBS:
In my entire POE game-play i found only one exalted, no eternals, no mirror and only like 3 or 4 divines.

UNIQUES:
Kongor, Aegis Aurora, Voll's devotion, couple of andvarius and tons of crappy uniques

Crafting:
Never got unique after using hundreds of chance orbs. Using hundreds of fusings didn't give me 6 links, never. Only once vaal orb gave me 6L.

Is this game lucky for me?

I'd say you were lucky.
I used a few thousand chance orbs and a few thousand fusing before hitting, but I still haven't dropped 4 divine orbs :-/
Wish I had dropped an Aegis too!
In the end its all about having fun. Why search for better upgrades if your not having fun anymore. which looks like you don't?

I joined POE half way in the last leagues and learned how the game works. I never made any currency in the last leagues also found never any GG items as I was a big noob. Now this league started for me with very good RNG. Having 2 searing touches drop in the first few days plenty of other uniques worth 1-2 ex. This gave me the chance to buy my alpha's and a 1 socket lightning coil. I got very very lucky in 6 linking the lightning coil in about 20 jews and 10 fusings.

Now im mapping with a nice group and joined a guild which has allot of nice people who enjoy the game, even at end game. Mapping with nice groups having a laugh. But even with less gear I would still have allot of fun. You can still do maps with lower gear as most parties will balance it out.

In the end its all about having fun with the game. Even last league I had so much fun even though I did not find any good items. Now with parties and a guild I am starting to find a whole new aspect of POE which makes it even more interesting to play.

"
Arrowneous wrote:
"
CantripN wrote:
"
If you are level 84 and doing 70+ maps then you already have decent items.

This.

Also, play more. And yes, trade a LOT.

Then PoE fails just as the original D3 did as huge grind time for minimal chance to find better gear sucks here just as much as it sucked in D3.

Diablo 2 was a huge grind as well (before it rained duped items and turned the game to shit).
Heart of Purity

Awarded 'Silverblade' to Talent Competition Winner 2020.
POE turned into a ratrace for the most div/hour.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDFO4E5OKSE
The more you play, the more items that drop that are either sellable or useable. I've closed three sales in the past week by just bumping my shop thread a few times a day around the time I'm playing. Specifically, 4 EX for a 5L/6S infernal mantle (I found and fused myself), a quiver I found (10 chaos), and a shield (30 Chaos). Not hard at all. I probably spent a total of 5 minutes spamming trade chat, but all my sales were from folks who found my shop on the boards and just messaged me while playing. If you can make 5EX a week on self found times, you will get rich pretty quickly.

I'm lvl 89 with good gear and no RMT. Self found items I'm wearing:

Spoiler

So yes, you can "find" items that you will wear at lvl 89. In fact, I'm kinda angry, because I bought Thunderfist murder mitts, and I found an upgrade (the gloves above) on the FIRST map I did after buying the mitts. Those mitts are now for sale on my board shop (at a higher price then I paid; someone will buy one day I'm sure, for a nice EX profit).

I also looted Rainbowstride boots a few days ago, which I will eventually sell for 4EX (found with only 20% or so IIR).
Check out my live stream at http://www.twitch.tv/huskylawyer.

IGN: Farrakhann (Standard) - Lvl 89 Marauder
Last edited by bloodandsin on Apr 21, 2014, 5:15:16 PM
If you play at high level for a long duration you will easily accumulate currency.

Don't do stupid things like try to make your own 5/6L until you already have one. 40 fus = 1ex. Easy to make in a couple days or even a single day.

Higher level characters means high level areas are easy. Every gem you level to 20/20 is 2ex or more.

On top of that maybe youll get a lucky drop. Even if you never do, you should be able to accumulate currency anyway.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info